• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: stolen cavalier puppy

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
People may have read this elsewhere but here's the full story and a pic:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_5948958?nclick_check=1

Show-dog puppy among missing valuables after Milpitas burglary
By Mark Gomez
Article Launched: 05/21/2007 09:56:46 AM PDT

Owners of a missing Cavalier King Charles spaniel spent the weekend canvassing Milpitas with fliers seeking help in finding Goldie, a 5-month-old, brown and white puppy taken from her home Friday afternoon.
When Michelle Dusel, a principal in adult education with the Milpitas Unified School District, came home from work Friday afternoon, she found her Milpitas home ransacked, with several valuables stolen, including Goldie, a show dog. Three adult show dogs were left behind.
"She's most valuable to me because I love her," Dusel said this morning. "I just want Goldie back. She is first and foremost my pet."
Using pillow cases and small tote bags found inside the home, burglars made off with whatever valuable items they could easily carry out, such as jewelry, cameras, videos and an iPod. The burglars left the front door partially open.
"The general feeling she is a puppy and more sellable than an adult dog, and she can adapt to a new situation," Dusel said.
Dusel is offering a $500 reward for Goldie's return.
Because Goldie is a show dog - a mix of the old, revered American lines and the best of the English lines - a microchip was placed between her shoulders, which Dusel said is safer than a collar and tag. (Vets can scan the chip and receive information about the puppy).
Dusel also tapped into her national network of breeders and distributed fliers nationwide.

Anyone with information can contact the Milpitas Police

Department at 408 586-2400, or leave an anonymous tip at 408 586-2500.

That's really sad. Being microchipped, I do hope they find her soon. Sounds like she was stolen to order. :(

I'd be desperate if someone stole the dogs. It's always the thing in the back of my mind... :yikes:

Same here, i would go out of my mind! I lady were i lives cav is lost/stolen since 3 wks ago, he is 4 yrs old not tagged or chipped!! I really would be so upset!

oh goodness that's just awful...Bay Area too...I always like to think that that doesnt happen :(

How horrifying!! My hubby and I are having a security system installed tomorrow, and its mostly because we are scared if someone broke in the dogs would be in danger or run out. :( I couldn't imagine what the owner is going through.

Just learned from other boards that the stolen puppy is at home with her owner again. She was turned in through the local police department, a bit dirty and has lost weight. No other details available.

:rah: :rah:

I'd heard he'd been handed in to the police -- but looks from this like the police went to find him after a tip-off. What a relief for the owners! I'd say, take everything in my house, but leave me the dogs and the cats!

From the Milpitas paper:

Show dog recovered in Oakland after burglary

by Ian Bauer
The Milpitas Post
Article Launched:05/23/2007 03:31:21 PM PDT

The burglars who brazenly ransacked Michelle Dusel's Mesa Verde Drive home last Friday stole more than her personal belongings. They also abducted a valued member of her family.

Goldie, a 5-month-old brown and white female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, was taken during the daytime burglary.

This week good fortune smiled on Dusel and her puppy.

Milpitas police detectives acted on an anonymous tip and used microchip technology to find Goldie alive and well in Oakland on Tuesday.

"I do have her back!" an excited Dusel confirmed by phone Wednesday. "She lost a little weight, she's a little dirty, but other than that she's perfectly fine."

That ordeal began on May 18 at about 4 p.m. when Dusel came home from work to find her front door ajar, and her three adult show dogs also Cavalier King Charles Spaniels running loose inside the home.

"The place was turned completely upside down," said Dusel, a Milpitas Unified School District adult education principal.

The burglars stole a video iPod, digital cameras, a digital picture printer and jewelry.

As she began to secure her three adult dogs, Dusel said she realized Goldie, her "little girl," was missing.

Aftwerward, Dusel spent days searching for Goldie.

The spaniel has an implanted microchip that can be scanned to reveal her identity. And because she's a pure breed show dog, Goldie also has her DNA on file.

Good news came on May 22 when Milpitas police said they responded to Oakland and located Goldie. Goldie's identification was confirmed by matching her microchip identification number with her owner's records.

"I must have cried for an hour when I picked her up at the police department," Dusel said.

Milpitas police reports state the case is still under investigation. They have not announced arrests.

They said a woman who is not considered a suspect had purchased the dog. A tip led police to the woman.

Link: http://www.themilpitaspost.com/local/ci_5969080

Wow! I am so glad they have been re-united! As Karlin said, take my car, house contents etc, but leave my dogs alone!!

I am so glad that she is back home safe and sound....I would lose my mind if that ever happened.....

Back