• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

woo hoo 4th of July in US

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I cannot even remember the last time I was in the US for July 4th. A long time since I heard a Souza march while fireworks go off, anyway! But I just booked a flight to Chicago to drive up for a family reunion in Wisconsin. Folks may remember my grandmother had been quite ill and I'd thought I'd be heading out for a funeral; instead hopefully we'll all be enjoying her company by the lake at my cousin's home as she gets to be the queen of the reunion one more time. :) She is 99 and has made a great recovery -- walking a bit every day with some help and playing dice in the evening with the other ladies at the nursing home. I swear, this is true. :lol:

To make this cavalier related -- I'll take time out on the drive back to the airport to visit a Chicago-area breeder I've 'talked' to by email many times but have never met. It will be fun to see her dogs and say hello.

:rah:

4th of July is my favorite holiday and I'm not even sure why. Probably the fireworks. I used to go up to Lake Geneva ,Wisconsin all the time (my grandparents lived there) as I'm from Chicago originally. Beautiful time of year to spend in that area. Eat at Ralphs' Fish fry if you're there on a Friday night and are near Delavan! -Natalie

I love going to Wisconsin; my mom is from Manitowoc on Lake Michigan and most of her siblings still live there or in the area. I have about 30 cousins who will be gathering for this so we'll have a big crowd. People come in campers etc and stay around the little lake -- it is heaven for the kids. :) And the silly grown-ups. I love how cheap the restaurants all are -- Dublin is SOOOO expensive! I really like all those relatives so am glad I am all booked in now. That will be my main summer holiday!

My husband left me on 4th of July, 15 years ago. Another good reason to celebrate!!

:mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav:

Sounds like you have a fun party ahead of you Karlin, I'm glad to hear that your gran is doing so well :rah:

:lol: @ Pauline! Go girl! :D

Karlin, so great you are coming stateside for the 4th. Are you originally from here or from Ireland? Gotta know which accent do you have?

What type of tradition for the 4th does everyone have? We always build a bonfire at my friend's out in the country and shoot fireworks (as the country is the only place in the county that we can get away with shooting them off!)

Hope your trip is wonderful, Karlin. I've lost both a g'mother and a FIL when they were 95 so I know how entertaining those oldsters can be. Such stories they can tell!

Fourth of July traditions? I guess none now, Lindsay. Erin's b'day is that day and for years she thought that all of the hoopla was for her. When she got older we would all gather in the street in KY (we lived on a cul-de-sac) and have a fireworks display of our own. Now she and John have a big keg party in their back yard with their friends and all the kids. They still usually have fireworks that they've gone to Tennessee to buy, have Buffet playing on the stereo, etc.

And Bubba and I sit here like Joey and Chandler - in our recliners in front of the TV!!

Back