• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

WARNING: Irish dogs stolen to be sold at UK fair

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Please remember not to leave your dogs unwatched in gardens in the UK or Ireland!

From the Irish Independent
PURE-BRED dogs are being stolen from homes and kennels by a group of roaming thieves who aim to sell the animals at a world famous fair in England next month.

Gardai across the Mid-West region are investigating the thefts of numerous pure-bred dogs and pups which they believe were stolen by a gang based on the southside of Limerick city.

The dogs are then kept at a secret location in the county before they are transported illegally across the Irish Sea for next month's Appleby Horse Fair in Cumbria.

Thefts of such animals are understood to be widespread throughout the region but are predominant in east Limerick.

Gardai are urging the owners of all pure-bred dogs to make sure their pets are secure and safe from the thieves.

Investigations into the recent dog thefts continue and a young bichon frise which was stolen from the Charleville area was recovered in Southill, Limerick last week.

The gang, who are well known to gardai, are specifically targeting un-neutered pure-bred females as a profit can also be made from their offspring.

The Appleby Horse Fair will be held from June 7-13 and attracts many people hoping to purchase good-quality animals at low prices, including pure-bred dogs. The Limerick gang will sell on stolen pure breds at the fair.

The dogs, which can fetch up to thousands of euro, will be sold at cheaper rates as they are without paperwork.

Thanks for the heads up. I must get my pup microchipped. I'm paranoid about him getting stolen.

Say for instance a microchipped dog was stolen, can it be reported onto the computerised record by the owners vet?

A short while ago, an ex-work colleague of my husband rang to warn us that a cavalier had been stolen about 2 miles from us. A neighbour saw a man in a white va pull up, grab the dog and go.

The neighbour got the registartion and the thief was illy enough to repond to the owners evening paper ad for a cavalier. The owner and neighbour went to the thief's address, which was confirmed by the van parked outside and, on seeing the dog, threatened the man with the police, as the dog was chipped, so could be identified. Luckily, they scared him enough to give the dog back.

Back