PDA

View Full Version : WASP & BEE stings, what to do?



*Pauline*
24th May 2007, 09:03 AM
I hasn't happened but if Dylan got stung, what can I buy in the UK to help with the pain and inflammation? I'd like to have something ready in his drawer just in case.

I'm nursing 28 gnat bites on myself which are bigger than a inch each :mad:

Nisha
24th May 2007, 09:10 AM
Sorry cant help you..not sure...but im sure someone else on the board will definitely have an answer.......i was just going to say that Milo once got stung by a bee and his whole face swelled up (i couldnt even recognise him)...Anyway it died down in an hour and he went back to normal...

Caraline
24th May 2007, 10:50 AM
The first thing you should do is to remove the bee stinger as it can keep pumping venom in.

The real worry with a bee or wasp sting is an allergic reaction that can cause anaphylactic shock. If your dog has a reaction like vomiting, difficulty breathing, wheezing, trembling, then you have an emergency on your hands and need to get to the vets as fast as you can.

If there is none of the above but just swelling & pain then a human antihistamine like Benadryl will give comfort. Dog metabalise some medications differently to humans, so it is probably best to check with your vet what the correct dose is. Also, I am not sure if Benadryl as sold here in Australia is exactly the same as that sold in other countries. I know that some medicines with the same name have different active ingredients.

Anyway, when we have give it, we dosed orally at 2ml Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) per kilogram of dog weight.

BTW, if you did have an emergency on hand, still administer the Benadryl if possible as this can buy valuable time until you get to the vets. My understanding is that the vets will administer Diphenhydramine intravenously.

luvzcavs
24th May 2007, 10:56 AM
My advice is talk to your vet (over the phone will do) about which antihistamine they recommend and the dose, always keep them on hand for these occasions. I recommend giveing the antihistamine first and then looking for the bee sting and removing. Any swelling in an allergic reaction can cause swelling of the air way so it is important to act fast just incase.

*Pauline*
24th May 2007, 12:34 PM
Thanks for your answers. I think asking the vet is a good idea. I might take a walk up there later.

xx

joey
28th May 2007, 06:07 PM
i have asked my vet about this already....he says - bicarbonate for bees and vinegar for vasps, thats the way to remember what to rub on the stings.....hope this helps.

*Pauline*
28th May 2007, 08:35 PM
i have asked my vet about this already....he says - bicarbonate for bees and vinegar for vasps, thats the way to remember what to rub on the stings.....hope this helps.

I've heard about vinegar for wasp stings as the sting is acid and vinegar is alkaline so they neutralise each other but was told that once the sting is inside, the vinegar can't really get to it. Anyone found it worked?