• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help!! Looking to adopt a puppy questions.

angelface

Sorry, newbie here. I have so many questions since I don't want to be victim again.

When considering buying a Cavalier from a reputable breeder. Should all the OFA/CERF certificates of the parents be current and up todate before breeding? Another question about the health guarantee 1 year versus 4 years.

Is there a difference making the breeder reputable? Generally health issues do not appear until the puppy has reach it 4th year. I am assuming the 1 year only covers that the puppy in question is delivered to me live and healthy, without worms, and distemper as in other dog breeds. Typically the Cavalier has more serious issues to consider even if its parents do not exhibit the inherent birth problems.

Only a few questions so far.

Thanking you in advance!

Good for you to be doing your homework!

Just as a starting point, there's a post here with lots of info:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=11335

The second half of that post has cavalier-specific info.

Some people feel health guarantees do not mean much, and it really depends entirely on the breeder, so I wouldn't judge a breeder by the length of the health guarantee -- I'd judge the breeder as a breeder. A reputable breeder will always give help and back-up if a dog has problems. Many of these contracts simply say the breeder will replace the puppy -- and they know people will not ask to exchange it. I have never seen a four year guarantee and frankly one would probably make me suspicious. In general good breeder health guarantees give a guarantee for the initial health of the puppy and that it was thoroughly vet checked before being sent. In addition, most good breeders will offer some financial support or totally cover costs of SOME things that might come up and this will likely be spelled out in a good contract.

But equally, a puppy isn't a car or a piece of furniture -- :) -- a living thing can have many problems that are unforeseen and are not the breeder's 'fault'. Just think of the illnesses and conditions children might acquire -- we tend not to blame the parents but realise genes can work in mysterious ways.

Your single best guarantee is going with a breeder who is reputable, shows, is known for focusing on health, has up to date certificates on eyes & heart; has been checked for patellas and ideally hips, and personally I'd want the MRI status of the parents for syringomyelia as well, though breeders are only really just beginning to MRI (some). A good breeder will have far lower incidences of problems in the first place *but they are always possible* -- it is just the way genes work. Good breeders breed to minimise some problems and eliminate others (not all can be eliminated, SM and MVD for example).

I am sure others will have suggestions too! I had no health guarantees on my dogs -- the breeder doesn't give them -- but he was known for producing sound long-lived dogs -- so that is one different perspective.

Sorry, newbie here. I have so many questions since I don't want to be victim again.

When considering buying a Cavalier from a reputable breeder. Should all the OFA/CERF certificates of the parents be current and up todate before breeding? Another question about the health guarantee 1 year versus 4 years.

Is there a difference making the breeder reputable? Generally health issues do not appear until the puppy has reach it 4th year. I am assuming the 1 year only covers that the puppy in question is delivered to me live and healthy, without worms, and distemper as in other dog breeds. Typically the Cavalier has more serious issues to consider even if its parents do not exhibit the inherent birth problems.

Only a few questions so far.

Thanking you in advance!

OFA is a ONE TIME test for hips (you can also get knees and elbows checked) If an x-ray is done before the dog is 2 it is a pre-lim-- after two it is considered permanent.

CERF for eyes and ausculation for Heart should be within the year of breeding. I try to time them for just a few months before breeding. I have knees checked almost everytime my dogs are in for shots, heartworm etc... I don't get the paper stating they are clear unless it is right before or right after pups.

I don't know ANY breeder that could guarantee a dogs health 100% until they are 4. I do know some byb will state that guarantee and all you have to do is give up your dog and they will give you a new one (who could do that???)

Karlin & Woodhaven, Thank you very much for your input!

I wasn't sure about the guarantee as some would suggest they ensure the breeder was reputable. At the same time I was thinking a puppy who has endeared itself especially a Cavalier would be very difficult to replace.

I will research the link again to pose my questions for the breeder and regarding the CERF for eyes and heart before the litter was conceived.

I'm so excited that to be screened by several breeders that still have puppies at this time. Hoping I am asking all the technical questions before be accepted as a potential Cavalier mom.

Thank you all again...

P.S. I'm sure I will have more questions as the process continues.

My experience is that the better breeders do not guarantee anything on their contract. If someone seems overly concerned, I will put something in writing, that it is a congenital or hereditary defect, and up to the price of the puppy will be given towards treatment.

If the breeders on not on the AKC list does that mean they are not reputable? I just cross-check both the CKCS and AKC and have 2 conflicting list. Going through the paces of asking all the questions in the world is not going to make me feel comfortable or confident that the breeder has the Cavalier in their best interest. I am located in the New England states PM me if you know of a good breeder with some reference. TIA

If the breeders on not on the AKC list does that mean they are not reputable? I just cross-check both the CKCS and AKC and have 2 conflicting list. Going through the paces of asking all the questions in the world is not going to make me feel comfortable or confident that the breeder has the Cavalier in their best interest. I am located in the New England states PM me if you know of a good breeder with some reference. TIA

Just because a breeder is on ANY list doesn't make them reputable. IMO- the best way to pick a pup is to look for a breeder who wanting to educate you about dogs and cavaliers in particular. Pick the breeder first, and then when the time is right- get a pup.

In the US, any breeder should be either be with the ACKCSC or CKCSC. But that is only the basic starting point -- the *very minimum* to open discussions.

If you own a cavalier-- you can join the CKCSC,USA. Pet owners, show breeders, people who got rescue cavaliers are members of this club. In the ACKCSC, you need two sponsers and you will be voted in OR NOT. Many people don't join that club because you can show in the AKC without belonging to the breed club.

If you own a cavalier-- you can join the CKCSC,USA. Pet owners, show breeders, people who got rescue cavaliers are members of this club. In the ACKCSC, you need two sponsers and you will be voted in OR NOT. Many people don't join that club because you can show in the AKC without belonging to the breed club.

Thanks, Sandy. That is very interesting to know. Does this include pets that are spayed/neutered also?

Back