• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Book Review: “The BARF Diet” by Dr. Ian Billinghurst B.V.Sc.[Hons], B.Sc.Agr., Dip.E

Caraline

“The BARF Diet” by Dr. Ian Billinghurst B.V.Sc.[Hons], B.Sc.Agr., Dip.Ed.

Having recently read and reviewed Dr Ian Billinghurst’s “Give Your Dog a Bone", I was keen to read his other books on the subject of the raw diet for dogs, so I ordered this book, “The Barf Diet” along with “Grow Your Pups With Bones”. The latter, I will review later on when I have read it.

If like me you love reading & really like to immerse yourself in your subject of interest, then you will still want to get “Give Your Dog a Bone” as it is the definitive book on the BARF (bones & raw foods) diet & it goes into everything in huge detail. If you are deeply interested in the topic, then this is the “must have” book.

However, if you don’t really enjoy reading, haven’t the time or are not necessarily interested in the “why” of a topic but want to know the “how to”, then “The Barf Diet” is going to be your book of choice.

“The Barf Diet” – Raw Feeding For Dogs and Cats Using Evolutionary Principles is a concise & easy to read 109 pages. It condenses the information from “Give Your Dog a Bone” into a how to manual, so to speak. This is the book that if read in the morning, would leave you time to nip down to the supermarket & have you feeding your dogs a BARF diet that same day. For those who are nervous about exactly what to feed, or those who do not really like putting it all together on their own, there is a 7 day sample menu, plus recipes that can be followed. It is dirt simple & uses easily obtainable ingredients that can be found in any butcher or supermarket. There is none of this “I spent the whole day in the kitchen” stuff so often heard when people speak of switching to home prepared meals.

So, this little book starts off explaining what the BARF diet is, its benefits, the key principles behind the method, types of bones to feed & types to avoid, balancing it out with veg, fruit, dairy & other foods, and special requirements for dogs that say have a predisposition to pancreatitis, tender tummies, the obese & the skinny. There are tips on many different ways of switching to BARF, from the slowly & steadily approach, to the cold turkey “let’s just do it” approach. Finally there are tips on how much to feed, a trouble-shooting section and very importantly for the puppy owner, a section of raising puppies on bones & raw foods.

If by this stage you are interested in reading one of Billinghurst’s books but are now confused about which one to get, then this might help.

“Give Your Dog a Bone” has it all. It is the definitive book on the subject. This is the one that will have you feeling like you are an expert on the subject.

“The BARF Diet” is quick & concise & will get your dogs BARFing before the day it out.

If you are really into it, then you will probably want both as the first book will arm you with a huge amount of information and the smaller one will be a great little book to grab when you want to quickly refersh your memory about something.

Last edited:
Back