• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

At what age does the growth spurt slow down?

Caraline

I've been plotting Beau's weight on a graph since we got him at 8 weeks. He is now 21 weeks and the line on the graph is steadily climbing at a constant rate. He is now 7 kilograms and I am wondering when the curve will start to flatten out. He isn't fat, but he is taller than his litter mates. I just though his growth rate would have slowed down by now. :shock:

Last edited:
Caraline,
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm wondering the same thing!! Teddy is now at 24 weeks and a few days ago at the doctor he weighed 13.7 lbs (6.23 kilos). He was over 11 lbs at 17 weeks, over 8 at 14 weeks and 6.4 lbs at 10 weeks. He is only 3 to 3.5 lbs away from my 3 year old, Colin!

Teddy is not fat at all either; he has a definite waistline.

I read somewhere else on the forum that as a rule of thumb the boys are around half their adult weight by the time they are 17 weeks old. Beau was 5.6 kilograms (12 lbs) at that time. I sure hope I had weighed him right after a big meal :confused: Going on that he's destined to be a thumping 11 kilograms (24 lbs). That seems awfully big for a Cavalier.

And your Teddy maybe is destined to be about 22 lbs?

He is now 21 weeks and the line on the graph is steadily climbing at a constant rate. He is now 7 kilograms and I am wondering when the curve will start to flatten out.

hmm well my boys are approx 7 kgs and they're a year and a half!

They tend to grow quickly up to about 6 months and then it evens out and is more gradual. I found Jaspar was probably about 2/3rds his final weight by about 6 monthsand gained the rest up til about age 12 months. Then he filled out slightly but it didn't add a lot of weight. He's a fairly lean dog though.

I found that Bailey grew steadily until about 6 months and then slowed till around 9 months but has been about the same since then. He is now a year old and about 5 1/2kgs.

Lucky stopped at about 7.5 months. He's nearly a year now & hasn't gained anything since then ... He's about 17.5 lbs now

Oh thank goodness! So maybe Beau will start slowing down in 3 or 4 weeks. I sure hope so. I was starting to think he was going to outweigh the Boxers :eek:

I know ... I was pretty relieved too ...

Every Cavalier is different though as you've seen ... here's hoping that yours is more like Lucky!! :xfngr:

Scooby is about 9.2kgs at the moment and his only just over 6 months old! I asked the vet if it was okay and whether he was getting too heavy. But they said that he still has a distinguished waist line and his ribs are still palpable...may just be a big cav.

Lani - let's hope this little ruby follows Lucky!

If we follow the 16/17 week rule, Teddy will be around 19-20. Maybe he is just an early bloomer ;)

Caraline - we'll have to compare where Beau and Teddy are in a couple of months to see just how big they get.

Well, for us, Bailey was *I think* about 13-14 lbs at 6-7 months, and then slowed down a lot after that. He has been 18 lbs for almost 3 months now, and he is going to be 1 in just 2 weeks.

As a general rule they tend to make most of their adult height around 7-9 months old and then gradually fill into that frame over the next 12 months. It can take about 2 years for them to fully mature but generally the height they are at a year is their height for life! Most of mine are at the 15-17lb mark.

Caraline -
What is Beau's weight and age now? I thought we'd compare from a couple of months back. Teddy sure has slowed down dramatically.
At 24 weeks (around 5.5 months), Teddy was 13.7 lbs. Now at 8 months he only weighs 14.7 lbs (6.7 kg)!

Everyone -
How has your baby grown since our last post in May???

Hi Dana

I am glad you resurrected this thread because I've also been meaning to. Beau is now 7 1/2 months old and weighed 8.5 kilograms (about 18 lbs) this morning. He has been about this weigh now for the past 4 weeks.

Beau is not fat, but he is considerably longer that some of the other Cavaliers we have been meeting. Our 2 year old Sonny who we adopted from the same breeder is a little longer than average too. The breeders had high hopes in the show ring for Sonny, but his length came against him.

I'll get my camera out in the next couple of days and post up a picky to share. :snap:

Oh, I'm glad this thread was resurrected, too, because I was thinking of starting one. :D

My Molly was 17.5 lbs last time I weighed her (10 days ago?) and she is 8 months old. Like Caraline's pups, I think Molly is longer than average. Want to try to measure for comparison?

I'll try taking a photo too.

-laura

Chester is a year in a couple of weeks and weighs 20lbs. He hasnt got any fat on him, you can feel his ribs without pushing & he has a defined waist but I think he is just a lot bigger than what people imagine a Cavalier to be.

I think people assume they will be small like the King Charles.

People are always commenting on his long legs..... wish I had the same problem!

Want to try to measure for comparison?

I'll be in that. What & where do we measure? We'd have to make sure we have our dogs in the same position & measuing the same bits. :lol: I haven't a clue how one measures a dog length.

Back