• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help out our Cavaliers!

Bruce H

Some of you may remember that about a week ago I posted about helping SM research. If you haven’t seen it, here is the link http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=18410. In this discussion I asked people who love and care about the breed to make donations to Clare Russbridge’s research. I have always believed and will continue to believe that research is the key to the SM problem we are facing in this wonderful breed.

Over the past couple days I have been working with Karlin and Penny Knowler regarding a specific project that money is needed for. Clare Russbridge is looking for help for a project at Image Center in LA. They need $830 to do a couple very important scans to help with the research into SM. I think this is where we at CavalierTalk could really help. If we all chipped in and helped just a little, that little help per person could easily become what is needed for the LA project, maybe more. I am also posting on the Connection with the same appeal. And if we exceed the goal of $830, the excess will be sent to Clare to be used where she feels it will do the most good.

So let’s all dig deep and help out, with the idea that our contributions are helping preserve our wonderful Cavaliers. Who knows, maybe years from now our contributions will be acknowledged as helping to be the salvation of the breed. I feel very strongly about this; strongly enough that I will match all contributions up to a maximum of $250. I wish it could be more, but I donated a fairly significant amount (at least for me) about 3 months ago.

So now for the nuts and bolts. You may contribute through Penny Knowler using Pay Pal at [email protected] . Just indicate it’s for the LA project. Or, if you’re like me and have a hard time with this new-fangled computer stuff, you may also send a check made out to to me and I will forward it on to Penny; just PM me for details.

Whether you donate by Pay Pal or by check, please PM me so I can keep track what is contributed and by whom. I will post on a regular basis with the totals so we will all know where we are with the goal. The amount donated by the individuals will be kept in strictest confidence; only I will ever know what any individual has contributed, and that’s only because I have to keep track of where we are with the goal. Oh, and if you already donated based on my previous post, let me know what that amount is and I will include it in the total.

So let’s get this drive going!! Help out our breed, even if it’s only a couple dollars; every little bit helps.

O.K. Bruce,

Im a sucker for a man who can swing a hammer, keep the home clean while the wife is away...and has no problem with 9 cavaliers in the bathtub.....:D

Count me in for $20.00 and tell me whom to make the check out to~ if this is at all Tax Deductable Id like to take advantage of it.....If not I can use the paypal option, but thought Id add my 2 cents.

Thank you!!

As far as I know, it's not tax deductible :( If you want to use a check, it's made out to me, then I will cash all checks and get the money to Penny. PM me if you need info for a check.

I keep the house clean while Kris is gone?? Don't go giving Kris any ideas :lol:

Count me in....I sent you a PM for the check info. Hope I did it right. Judy

PM'd you! thansk for organizing this and letting us all know about this great opportunity to help this wonderful breed!

I've Paypaled a donation to Penny and will PM you the amount, Bruce.

One of the best aspects of the impact of this project is these extra scans have indicated many more A dogs (clear for SM; the most important dogs for breeding) and are pointing towards some lines internationally that look like they are less affected and will be important for the breed. This is what breeders REALLY NEED TO KNOW. So every single penny is going towards a very good cause!

Once these scans are completed the international CKCS genome scan project will be able to begin in earnest, as these are some of the final scans they need for this major project to find genetic markers for SM, and hopefully, eventually a simple genetic test for the condition.

Genome project: http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/research/research/genome.html

I think the time has come to put an ending date for donations for SM research. I am leaving on vacation this Saturday and returning June 15. So I think June 14 would be a good deadline. I'll check my PM's on June 15 when I return and post a final total. That will also give some time for those of you who are sending checks to get them here. Anything received after that time will, of course, be well spent on research and any further scans.

So the deadline is June 14. If you want to send a check, please be sure to PM me for information on where to send it before I leave.

Again I want to thank everyone who has donated so far and encourage anyone who is able to, to donate. This is a very worthy cause: potentially the future of our breed. We are starting to get MVD under control and I believe we can do so with SM also. So even if you can only afford a couple dollars, it all adds up, as you can see from the totals I have been posting.

I'm leaving on vacation today and will post the final numbers when I get back. Last chance ;)

Back