PDA

View Full Version : Dylan, fluid in intestines.

*Pauline*
30th May 2007, 03:43 PM
I took Dylan to my usual vet today, they have a wonderful reputation and are very loving to all the animals. He spat up a tiny bit of bile this morning and slept though I had a little girl over who he usually loves to play with and/or hump:o

The vet said Dylan has fluid in his intestines. He may have eaten something he shouldn't have. She gave me some Zantac Syrup which is an antacid, to be given 30 mins before food. She said his heart is fine. There's no temp and she didn't know what else it could be without a blood test. She said if he is sick or has diarrhea I should call and talk to her and they would do a blood test. I'm all for that, it's the best way to find out what's wrong.

Poor fella is asleep now. I'm not very happy.:(

Oh but she did say it was OK that I agreed to that injection of antibiotics on Monday so I feel better about that.

brid kenny
30th May 2007, 03:46 PM
At least you're getting somewhere with it now Pauline.

Cathryn
30th May 2007, 03:46 PM
Oh Dylan you poor lad!! :hug:

No wonder he's been a bit off colour lately! Speedy get Well Soon Wishes to you, a big kiss and a gentle :hug: for Dylan and another :hug: for you too Pauline, I rather think you need one! :hug:

Keep us posted!

*Pauline*
30th May 2007, 03:59 PM
I do need a hug :( I've been quite brave so far but I'm so worried. He just keeps sleeping anywhere, even in the middle of the floor.

Scouty girl
30th May 2007, 04:09 PM
Pauline,

It sounds like you're going in the right direction with all of Dylans care. Hang in there I know it can be worrysome. Hopefully he will be coming around in the next 24 hours. Keep us posted. :flwr: :flwr:

Azriel
30th May 2007, 04:36 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
sending lots of hugs and postive thoughts to you and dylan. he's got such a great mommy! keep us posted on how he's doing.

Cleo's Person
30th May 2007, 05:23 PM
Pauline my heart goes out to you. :hug: You have done everything for Dylan that you posssibly could.

I'm so sorry to hear that Dylan is still unwell, but at least you now know what it is. And with your own vet confirming that the antibiotic on Monday was a good idea, you must feel reassured that you're doing all you can. I'm sure he knows how much you love him and how much care you are giving him. :luv:

I really hope that he feels better soon, meanwhile I'm thinking about you both and sending good vibes your way. :flwr: Keep us posted on how he's doing. Tan

coconut
30th May 2007, 06:03 PM
delighted that u are getting some where with it!! Big hugs and kisses to dylan, keep us informed.

*Pauline*
30th May 2007, 09:38 PM
Does anyone know what it means that he has fluid in his intestines? Is there a blockage? He hasn't done a poo after dinner which is unusual. He's done two wees since 1pm, 2:30pm and 6:30pm this isn't much is it. It's 8:38 now.

arasara
30th May 2007, 10:10 PM
Oh pauline I am sorry. :( I hope Dylan starts feeling better soon. I have no idea what it means to have fluid in the intestines, but hopefully it's nothing more than just a bit of the runs from being stressed out. Was the breeder feeding him the same food?? As you know I've recently had trouble with Faith .. It seems as if she became intolerant of the food she'd been on for 5 months overnight. Have you tried boiled chicken and rice? Is he still eating his normal dinner? What does the vet suggest? Have you two spoken about a possible GI food until things calm back down?

As for the wees, I think that amount sounds normal. Faith is younger than Dylan and she goes about every 4 hours too.

Hope he starts feeling better! :xfngr:

:dogwlk:

*Pauline*
30th May 2007, 11:36 PM
Hi Sara,
Thank you, I didn't think of the fluid being diarrhea :sl*p: That makes sense!

How is Faith now? I haven't seen many posts from you lately.

I think I should buy some tinned pumpkin. Can you get it in the UK?

Cathryn
30th May 2007, 11:52 PM
Don't recall ever seeing any in my local Asda but you being close to London and all those fresh produce markets, I'm sure if you put it into Google you'd be sure to come up with something?? Let me know how Dylan is going along!! Oh and here's another :hug: for you both too!!

*Pauline*
30th May 2007, 11:57 PM
I might have to ask Ash to look when he's at Uni, I don't think he'll have time though. It costs me £15 to get to London, that kinda makes for a very expensive dish!!;)

Cathryn
31st May 2007, 12:04 AM
OK here's an idea!! See if you can get hold of a large pumpkin and scoop it out then you can maybe freeze portions in an ice-cube tray, a bit like home cooked baby puree' ?? Just a thought, but it would be cheaper and far more convenient to judge the size of the portions, 1 cube or two Dylan?? ;) :D :D

*Pauline*
31st May 2007, 12:08 AM
I think it's out of season Cathryn. Next time it is, someone remind me to freeze some. Good idea Cathryn.:)

KimNIndy
31st May 2007, 05:50 AM
pauline i'm sorry to hear that poor dylan still isn't feeling well! :hug: :hug: for both of you!!!!! it must be so hard to watch him sleeping like that but at least the vet is aware and keeping an eye on things and dylan probably needs the sleep to help get better.

i wonder if the tinned pumpkin is the sort of thing you might find at a health food store? i don't remember ever seeing any, but it might be worth having a look.

hope dylan feels much better soon.

k

Caraline
31st May 2007, 06:32 AM
Hi Pauline, I am sorry to hear that poor little Dylan is unwell and that you are feeling so distressed about him. I am guessing that the vet could hear a lot of fluid swirling around in his bowel. That isn't a blockage and the vets would never allow him to come home with a blockage. Do you know if they checked him for pancreatitis? That can present with frothy vomit & a noisy painful tummy, followed by diarrhoea.

Well I hope he settles down soon. Keep us posted.

Sarah J
31st May 2007, 10:45 AM
Poor litte fella, i hope he's on the way to recovery! Good Luck.

Lots of love.:luv:

Cleo's Person
31st May 2007, 11:19 AM
So sorry to hear that Dylan isn't feeling much better. :( Big :hug: :hug: to you both.

*Pauline*
31st May 2007, 12:35 PM
I am guessing that the vet could hear a lot of fluid swirling around in his bowel...

...Do you know if they checked him for pancreatitis? That can present with frothy vomit & a noisy painful tummy, followed by diarrhoea.

She did listen to his tummy but I think she said she felt the fluid. He didn't have any tests other than being felt and listened to with a stethoscope. He didn't do a poo from yesterday lunch time until 7.30 am(not even 100% sure he did one yest morning) , I was relieved(and he must have been!), it was soft, yellow but still formed.

I called the vet about the lack of poo and the consistency. The nurse asked her and she said the vet already had antibiotic tablets waiting at the surgery for me as she knew this would happen.

He's started to follow me which he doesn't usually and sleep by me wherever I am!

*Pauline*
31st May 2007, 12:36 PM
i wonder if the tinned pumpkin is the sort of thing you might find at a health food store?

Good thinking, I'll go now...

Caraline
31st May 2007, 01:01 PM
If he doesn't settle, I think I'd be taking him back to the vets & getting them to do the blood tests that they mentioned. I know I am probably a bit pancreatitis obsessed, but I'd be wanting to rule that out and I think the only way they can check for that is with a blood test.

Does the vet say why they are giving him antibiotics?

*Pauline*
31st May 2007, 06:01 PM
Does the vet say why they are giving him antibiotics?

No, she won't know without a blood test really. Do you think it's ok to wait and see if the antibiotics improve the situation? He is ok at times, I probably paint a grim picture as I am worried but he does play at times etc and is loving the rice and chicken.

Cleo's Person
1st June 2007, 01:01 PM
Pauline, How are things today?

*Pauline*
1st June 2007, 04:08 PM
Pauline, How are things today?

Thanks for asking, Dylan is sleeping now but has more energy. He did a poo this morning :rah: and a few wees :rah: :rah:

I put 100mls of water in with his chicken and rice as he didn't drink much at all yesterday. He drank it all :)

I feel he's on the mend but I still can't work out why he isn't pooing as much as usual. He hasn't missed a meal, he hasn't "emptied" himself because of diarrhea and he's been loving his chicken and rice twice a day so where's the poo?!

Cleo's Person
1st June 2007, 04:23 PM
Pauline, I'm so glad to hear that he's done his business a few times. :rah: :rah: :rah: Way to go Dylan. It's fantastic to hear that his energy levels have come back a bit and that he's drinking - at least you won't have to worry about dehydration complicating matters. :D

I'm not sure I have any advice re where the poo is! The fact that he went this morning is a good thing. As chicken and rice are gentle foods, maybe he's making more use of these foods, i.e. to boost his energy levels, settle his tummy and make himself feel better so there's less waste product? I really don't know. Obviously you're monitoring the situation closely, which is great, and he's clearly on the mend (thank goodness - i was worried about him) so maybe its just a matter of keeping a close eye on things and if you get at all concerned, give the vet a call. :flwr:

*Pauline*
1st June 2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks so much Tanya. I do feel he's getting better. I just wish I'd pushed for the blood test so I could rule out anything serious but I'm sure Dylan would have hated the blood test.

He's loving all the attention and has started to follow me round a bit. I don't want to make him clingy, not nice for him.

The lady who designed the Mekuti harness sent me a few emails about Tellington TTouch as we are in touch and I told her he is poorly. Dylan loves it. Just from stroking his ears the right way, he fell asleep in 10 seconds! And this is a dog who doesn't like his ears touched much!

www.mekuti.co.uk (http://www.mekuti.co.uk) This is her site.

http://mekuti.co.uk/ttouch.htm This is about Tellington TTouch.

*Pauline*
1st June 2007, 06:01 PM
Sara just told me the same thing about food when she changed Faiths food. She produced less poo, probably making better use of the food. :)

Cleo's Person
1st June 2007, 06:18 PM
Pauline, these are all positive indications! Hopefully he'll be running around like is usual self soon! That Tellington TTouch thing sounds great. :D

Scouty girl
1st June 2007, 06:30 PM
Pauline,

They don't poo as much when they are on chicken and rice.

*Pauline*
1st June 2007, 08:54 PM
Pauline,

They don't poo as much when they are on chicken and rice.

Thanks Sharon, I wish the vet had warned me. He is definitely nearly better, he was running round like usual taking his ball on a rope for a run earlier. :D

Cathryn
2nd June 2007, 10:28 AM
Sounds like he's getting over it now, Great News!
With regards the toileting, chicken and rice is very easy for them to digest and there is far less "waste" as their bodies take up so much more from the food in the first place.

:hug: for Dylan and a :hug: for you too!!

Cleo's Person
2nd June 2007, 01:07 PM
How fantastic to hear he's almost back to his old self! :hug: :hug: to you both.

Karlin
4th June 2007, 01:52 AM
How's he doing? :)

*Pauline*
4th June 2007, 09:58 AM
Well, I cleaned up in the garden this morning after Dylan did a poo and found 2 other poos (sorry for the details!). So the kids must have let him out and not watched him or told me. He is doing less than before but, if that is ok, then I'd say he was fine now.

We went to Colchester to take my friend home and let Dylan have a play with her dog and her mum's dog. Dylan had a wonderful time. The other dogs are girls and they all play quite vigorously. And... with all the girlie smells in the garden Dylan cocked his leg for the first time :shock:

I gave Dylan around 60g to 80g of chicken and rice twice a day and he has lost quite a bit of weight. He usually has 60g of dry twice a day. So I'm working on fattening him up gradually. I can feel his spine :confused:

Caraline
4th June 2007, 10:52 AM
I am so pleased to hear that Dylan is doing much better now. :)

If you can, try to find out how many calories were in Dylan's dry food per gram, and with a calorie counter see how many calories are in his chicken & rice. It could work out that the dry was considerably higher in calories per gram to the home prepared. This is because the kibble is dehydrated whereas home prepared has a much higher water content. You may find that you need to feed more in weight than you did with the kibble. If you do, increase very slowly as you don't want to upset his tummy again with a large volume.

*Pauline*
4th June 2007, 11:58 AM
Yes, that makes sense, I should have realized that :sl*p:

He's on James Wellbeloved now mixed with some rice, just to wean him back.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I'd have worried all the more without you all.

:thnku: