• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Where can I get tinned pumpkin in the UK?

*Pauline*

I found Libby's pumpkin online but it costs £2.30 plus £3.99 shipping :yikes

Is there a UK brand I can get in a supermarket?

Just posted in Dylan's thread, have you tried google? Anyway, here's another :hug: for the both of you!

I have never found any in my supermarkets; pumpkins are not a favoured product in the UK unless its Halloween :(

I wanted to get some for SiânE, I know it’s not the same but butternut squash I think is from the same family, and I don't know it its dose the same thing.

I know since I started giving SiânE live yogurt it has helped her a lot with runny stools.

Any winter marrow (eg hard marrow) is going to do the same thing pumpkin does -- add roughage (so will sweet potato BTW). This can help diarrhea for example. The squashes are all the exact same family -- and most supermarkets these days carry the large butternut squashes (as they are called in the US). Just microwave or bake them and mash up a bit and it is the same in its effect as pumpkin. Basically these all have good levels of roughage and are quite bland, which helps upset tummies and firms up poops. I am not sure why pumpkin in particular has taken on a special aura -- I think mostly it's that it is easy to buy tinned in the US so you don't have to bother fussing with cooking it!

So if this is for diet reasons I'd not worry about tracking down pumpkin -- I'd get one of the butternut or other hard marrows. I've used a bit of mashed red sweet potato to the exact same effectas pumpkin too. Some larger supermarkets or good veg markets will carry hard marrows and cooking pumpkins; I get them all the time at the farmer's market on Saturday in Dublin. :)

Any winter marrow (eg hard marrow) is going to do the same thing pumpkin does -- add roughage (so will sweet potato BTW). This can help diarrhea for example. The squashes are all the exact same family -- and most supermarkets these days carry the large butternut squashes (as they are called in the US).

I know I got my Mum to cook butternut squash in her winter stews and gave SiânE some and she loved it. It’s much easier to get hold of then pumpkin, because it seems to be a favourite to some TV chefs the supermarkets are more likely to carry it.

I can't speak for the UK, but here in the US, it is usually in the baking supplies (flour, sugar, spices, etc.) section with canned/tinned pie fillings.

When I had trouble finding pumpkin here and Lucky was having a serious bout of his colitis, I was able to find some sweet potatoes in the baby food aisle.

Probably a little more more expensive than the pumpkin, but Lucky loved it too and I don't always have the time or forethought to bake a potato (and I'd rather not heat up the house in the summer either). I keep some of the sweet potato baby food in my cupboard for emergencies.

Not sure if they have this in the UK, but perhaps it'd be an option for you if you can't find pumpkin. (as always, check ingredients to ensure it is 100% sweet potato).

I've only ever fresh pumpkin in larger Tescos during October. I've never ever seen tinned pumpkin. The British don't eat it! I doubt many brits eat or know what do with it !!

Last edited:
I was told by a British Member who used to be a moederator on this board that pumpkin cannnot be found in Scotland.

I did send her 3 +tins but the shipping was extremely costly.

Not sure if it is available in England/Ireland.

Ah, this has been very useful, thanks everyone. I can get butternut squashes and sweet potatoes quite easily.

I was told to give him his antacid 30mins before food and with 12 hour intervals. He's really not happy about waiting. I usually feed him at 8.30am then at 5pm.

I think he could have a little lunch of butternut squash to ease his tummy and hunger.
:thnx:

The British don't eat it! I doubt many brits eat or know what do with it !!

Oh yes we do! ;) I'm not so good at cooking myself but I've had sweet :yuk: and savory (y) flans made for me here in Old Blighty! I prefer it when it's not all mashed up.

When Harvey was very little we needed to get tinned pumpkin for his tummy!

We live in Hampshire and are local Waitrose sells tinned pumpkin!! I still have 3 tins in my cupboard, its by the manufacture "Libbys" its about £1.50 a tin ish...

Excellent stuff, always sorts my Harvey out!!!

Back