• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Driving Mr. Louie

Shari

Two weeks until we bring Louie home! We're very excited!! :D

We drove up to visit him last weekend (the breeder lives near my parents) and I realized then what a long drive home it will be for him--3.5 hours on the highway. We plan on having him travel in a soft crate, which I hope he tolerates. My other concern is potty breaks. Will he tolerate a collar and leash at 10 weeks? If he's not been fully vaccinated, aren't roadside rest areas out of the question?

We're travelers and will want Louie to enjoy riding in the car from the start. Any suggestions for making this as smooth as possible?

Hi Shari, well I can speak from recent experience....I flew home with my 10 1/2 wk. puppy on Sunday. She did go potty (with a collar and leash) right before we went into the airport. We stayed there at least 45min. to an hour. Then we had a 2 1/2 hour flight home, went through the airport, got in the car and drove to a grassy area. I put her collar and leash back on and she immediately wet on the grass. She did just great. The good thing about a car ride is you can stop more often....I think if they really have to go, they will. Oh and by the way, she travelled home in the soft crate too. It worked out great. I unzipped the top of it and petted her on the way. Good luck. I am sure she will be fine. (or is it a he,,,,,I forgot what you posted) You have a lot of love to look forward to. Juidy
PS... your cavie is beautiful !!!

I drove Duncan home 5 hours at 16 weeks. I stopped every couple of hours to let him stretch and play. I was by myself and I really think we had some wonderful bonding on that trip.

i only had about a 45 minute car ride with Brady, but when I got him, I had his crate all read with a nice soft blanket he could cuddle up with and a nice stuffed animal he could rest up against like it were one of his brothers or sisters. I had no problems with taking him outside, you need to get them used to the collar and leash as soon as you can anyway. And after I got him home, I set up his crate in the spot he would be in during the times my poor baby would need to be locked up and left the door open. he actually went in there and took a nap shortly after i brought him home. he was sleepy for about the first day or too, so i though, hmm this shouldn't be too bad, but then shortly after that he became the pup he was!

good luck. i would try and stop every hour and a half or so for a potty break. give him a few minutes to try and go and if he doesn't try again later. i would maybe also see about putting some kinda puppy pad or something at the bottom of the nice new crate you got him just in case he does go in there you can clean up in a jiffy.

Back