• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why do dogs eat cat litter poo and how can I stop it?

Harley & Carley

The puppies are most often in the kitchen/den area, but I am slowly allowing them to venture out into other parts of the house for brief periods. They often go through the utility room to get to the garage for a car ride, so they have walked past the cat litter box many times and not even noticed it.
Over the past week, they have become overly familiar with the litter box and its contents. Not only am I thoroughly grossed out, but it has to stop. We have just gone back to not letting them out of the kitchen for now. Just this morning, we were going for a car ride, and they made a beeline for the litter box and were even clinbing in to get a better selection of its contents.
HELP!! I have a really week stomach and prying cat poop from their mouths is way more than I can handle!!

My litter box has a lid and the opening faces the wall so that only Howie can squeeze in. That was the only solution I found.

Good luck! :flwr:

For some reason, please don't ask me why, dogs love cat poop. Breeze used to try and sneak into the spare bedroom where the boxes are, but she stopped many years ago. Scout is a different story I have to put a gate up to the doorway and the kitty jumps it to get to the box, if not she would be in there all the time.....:mad: :rolleyes: :confused: :(

Jake used to love kitty crunchies. Yuck! We resorted to putting the litterbox in the garage so he couldn't have access to it. There was no way to stop him, we just had to remedy the situation.

Bella has an affinity for our litter boxes as well. I think the reason dogs love the kitty crunchies so much is because of the high content of protein in cat food.

They do make covered litter boxes with a round opening on the top (instead of the sides) so that the cat can just jump in. Dogs can't get in to those. I've seen them at PetSmart and Petco.

Good luck!

if you can gate off the room that the litter boxes are in... it keeps the dogs out of the box as well as giving the cat a place to jump into to get away from the dog if they are getting too annoying.

I have the same problem however the cat goes in the garden and Marley keeps digging up her poop and eating it!!!!!!!!! He is also eating the rabbits poop!
I don't know how to stop him doing it and I have a high tolerance for poop I work in a vet clinic but this is really starting to get on my nerves.... how can I stop him doing it!??????

I know I have seen a powder that you can put on the "poopers" food that makes a poop eater stop eating it, but I don't know anything about it as I have never looked into it. May be worth researching. :flwr:

Puppies sem a lot more interested in poop than adults -- Jaspar never tries to get at the litter box anymore -- but some, like Lily, are lifetime devotees. There are special litter boxes you can get that are inaccessible to dogs. You can put the litter box in a room or say the shower, behind a baby gate the cats can go through or over but not dogs. You can try to face it away (a covered box). I face it at an angle and have had to put a weighted bucket in front of the access so the cats can get in but Lily can't.

Ifa cat is burying them and a dog is digging it up, the only real answer is have an indoor cat with litter boxes so you can maintain control (all four of my cats are all-indoor cats with an outdoor confined area they cannot get out of) or always keep the dog under control/on a lead when in the garden. Unfortunately that's really about all that can be done for poo-eaters (except hoping they grow out of it): bar access one way or another as you cannot train them not to eat it with much success.

I'm told the reason dogs like cat poo is their food has a much higher protein content. Many of not most dogs will eat or roll in a variety of poo though -- :-|:eek: -- one of the delights of dog ownership! :lol:

Back