• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tick!! Need advice

Chardonnay

This morning I found a tick on Maggie. I didn't realize what it was, just saw this brown thing that seemed to be stuck in the white fur under her chin. I grabbed it and yanked it off and realized to my horror that it was a huge tick!

I have no idea where she picked it up as we haven't been out in a bushy area recently. The last time was three weeks ago, but I can't believe I would have missed it for so long, it was gigantic!

Anyway, because I didn't know what it was and yanked at it, the pincers broke off (I literally heard them snap off, that was how big this thing was) and are still in her skin.

Now what do I do? I know there is risk of them becoming infected.

Last edited:
Hi!

Take her to the vets and tell them what has happened, you need to get the head of that tick out quickly or she will get an infection. They should be able to remove it and will most likely put her on a course of anti-biotics too as a precautionary measure.

Big kiss and a gentle :hug: to Maggie, let us know how you go on!

Also they can give advice on how to remove them so the heads don't stay inside. I have had a rescue dog get an infection from the head being in there so a vet does need to have a look and remove it.

Cathryn, Karlin,

I took your advice and got it taken care of. They shaved a small area and you can see a whole bunch of little bite marks, poor little sot.

Thanks! This is such a terrific resource.

I've had dogs in this area for decades-- I found our first tick on one of our dogs. It was still small and thin and wasn't too "attached". I have been looking for more, but haven't seen any. What a p i t a .

The method I've always used is to soak a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and soak the tick. This makes the tick release its pinchers so you can pull it out safely.

I also live in a HEAVILY tick infested area and have always wondered the very best way to deal with ticks on my dogs.

Last week Oprah had her favorite doctor on the show and they did a segment on ticks.

He said DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT, put anything on the tick, such as lighter fluid, alcohol, heat or whatever. He said the all of the bad stuff in the tick(such as lyme junk) is located in the body, not the head and legs that are embedded. When you mess with the exposed body the tick will "spit" the bad stuff thru it's mouth and infect the pet.

The best way to remove a tick is to grasp it firmly as close to the skin of the pet as possible, and pull slowly to remove. Do not twist, just pull it out like you would a tooth. (LOL)

You greatly increase the chances of leaving the head and legs behind if you twist or pull out quickly. The doctor said that even it that does happen, it is not a problem because, as stated above, the body has the bad stuff. He said that it should not cause an infection if those parts remain behind.

In my case, I ususally get the whole tick by removing as above, but when I do leave some parts embedded, I treat the area with peroxide, and none of my pets has ever had an infection.

I am not an expert by any means, and you should always consult your vet if you have concerns.

Back