PDA

View Full Version : People on the street.

loveisokay
3rd June 2007, 04:53 PM
Has anyone ever had any note worthy comments about your Cavaliers?

Today, we walked to the supermarket & I stood outside with mine & got the strangest comment. A lady asked if she was a Cavalier & then asked if she was a minature version. I had always thought it was fairly obvious she was a puppy!

niamhx
3rd June 2007, 05:00 PM
:rotfl:I have had the same comment I thought it was just me

Barbara Nixon
3rd June 2007, 05:13 PM
Someone (can't remember who) got asked if theirs was a 'King Edwards Spaniel '.

vikki
3rd June 2007, 05:36 PM
a lady at the park said my pup...had a very distinctive butt!!! I couldn't figure it out till I got home why she would say that. my girl is a tri so I guess it was the brown under her tail.

Justine
3rd June 2007, 06:00 PM
well i was walking alfs the other day and a man asked if he was a cav.so said yes he was ,he then said he hadnt seen one with such a wonderful movement and wouls i sell him,NO way i said so he said name your price,so i said with a giggle 500.00 euro.thinking he would walk away.OK HE SAID DEAL DONE.i was also with a mum from school who new this man and she said he wasnt joking and that he really meant that offer.not bragging but that is the third offer for him in about 5 months.

BostonGirl
3rd June 2007, 06:35 PM
we get the minature question all the time. Its really annoying - I don't understand how people don't get that shes a puppy!! Like duh!

freesia
3rd June 2007, 08:18 PM
Our Barney is b&t and I was talking to someone at the bus stop and the gentlemen was saying they have six at home just like him and going on about how lovely they are. Then he turned round and said he loved his Yorkshire terriers.:shock:
Hadn't the heart to tell him he was a cavalier.

Jessieca
4th June 2007, 12:41 AM
Haha when Bailey was still very small, I was walking him and this woman came running up to me, and asked me if he was full grown and if he will stay that size lol...when I said no, she lost all interest haha. :dogwlk:

PamH
4th June 2007, 10:21 AM
I've had the miniature question too. Pam

cavalicious
4th June 2007, 10:34 AM
Everyone thinks Ollie is a puppy :) I'll probably still get the puppy question when his an adult though! :p

*Pauline*
4th June 2007, 11:07 AM
Everyone tells me Dyaln is tiny, even cavalier owners! Have they forgotten they are all puppies to start with!!

Dyaln is 10lb at 9 months, is that extra small?

I also had someone say his face didn't look like a normal Cav, that his mouth wasn't like a normal Cav and he would have to grow into his ears. I was so angry. I'd never tell someone that even if I thought their dog was ugly!!! How blooming rude! :swear:

Mycavyangels
4th June 2007, 11:20 AM
Yep at the park, someone said " look a mini rottweiler" *pointing at Buddy* LOL
and they always get called cocker spaniels instead of Cavalier lol.

loveisokay
4th June 2007, 11:56 AM
I just took mine for a walk again this morning & got a new comment. "You've got a rat on that lead". Seriously, do people not realise she's not fully grown? That comment particularly annoyed me as there is never any need for negative comments.

But then again, that's the sort of place I live. :rolleyes:

sins
4th June 2007, 01:24 PM
I always get comments, people tell me she's "so cute" and I have been asked if she's for sale (turned down €600:) )I couldn't part with her for all the tea in China.The only annoyance for Daisy is that small children tend to come up to her and maul her more than she likes.But she's very tolerant and enjoys the fuss people make over her.

freesia
4th June 2007, 01:30 PM
Iv'e had the rat on the lead jibe as well,off some builders.

arasara
4th June 2007, 01:40 PM
:lol::lol: These stories are hilarious!

Most people stare and point and say "they are so cute!

The people at the nursing home though REFUSE to accept that Kosmo is a boy. His hair is so long he MUST be a girl! :sl*p:

AT
4th June 2007, 02:33 PM
Iv'e had the rat on the lead jibe as well,off some builders.

One of our old neighbours sons ( evil swine but thats another story) shouted oh a mouse on a lead when I was walking my charlie.
& what tough macho breed did he own ? a basset hound ,lol

Remali
4th June 2007, 11:57 PM
Most of the people I run into ask what breed he is.....not too many Cavaliers around here (yet!).

Davy
5th June 2007, 12:24 AM
Someone (can't remember who) got asked if theirs was a 'King Edwards Spaniel '.

I had two old dears sitting on a park bench, one turns to the other and says ‘oh look it’s one of them prince Charles dogs’. I always say its because of the big ears. :D

Thinking about this thread reminded me of something that happen over the park a few years ago. I had gone over there with SiânE, my brother and his black cocker spaniel. We came across two men walking their Cavaliers (a ruby and B&T). They looked down and smiled at my brother dog ( the cocker spaniel) and then when SiânE walked over to say hello to their dogs. SiânE was twice the size of their dogs. They ask me if she was a cocker? :confused: I reply ‘no she a cavalier like yours’ :rolleyes: they smiled and said ‘oh yeah’ (we knew that look) and carried on walking.

Barbara Nixon
5th June 2007, 11:29 AM
As you can, see, Monty is not at al cavalier like. He isn't a cross but takes after some of the early large dogs in his pedigree. While at the vets, I met an old couple, with a tiny blenheim bitch, who insisted that Monty had to be a King Charles, as my dog's muzzle was much longer than their dogs and they knew, in fact insisted to the point when I gave up, that Charlies have longer muzzles and are bigger than cavaliers.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/BarbaraNixon/003montyp.jpg

OhMarley
5th June 2007, 02:17 PM
hahahaha ... what the... its so obvious when they are puppies.. what is wrong with people!!1

Lisa_T
5th June 2007, 10:47 PM
I've had the 'is that a Yorkie?' question too when Holly was tiny. In fairness, she was extremely tiny for her age, and ridiculously fluffy- AND there seems to be a coven of Yorkie owners on this street.

The one that both annoyed and amused me though was when I had Holly out several days after walking them both. The kids around here like both dogs, but Amber's more of a hit with them, mainly because Holly can be standoffish with your common person on the street. Amber loves everyone. Anyhow, I had Holly out and some kids came up and asked, "Where's the cute one?"

Poor Holly!

And we've had the 'Awww' comments ad infinateum. My mother eventually declared that she'd tie a charity box around Holly and get people to put in 10p a pat.. my mum is the regional director of CRUSE, a national bereavement charity.

niamhx
6th June 2007, 12:02 AM
I brought my five yr old to get his hair cut today and the hairdresser thought fine was a to,y it wasn't till finn moved of rians lap when he went to get in the chair that she realized he wasn't :lol: she was insisting that he looked like a teddy bear though the whole haircut :rolleyes: I finally said no he doesn't he's much cuter ;)

mishmosh
6th June 2007, 01:14 PM
I have a ruby, so it's usually 'what breed of dog is he? Is he a pedigree?'

People assume all cavs are blenheim! Saying that, my last dog was a large blenheim and people used to think he was a Springer Spaniel! haha!! He was twice the size of my 8 month ruby.

Barbara Nixon
6th June 2007, 01:29 PM
All cavaliers are particolour , aren't they ? My boys have always recognized particolours, Blenheims in particular, from a great distance, but one day when, in PaH we met a lady with a black and tan and a ruby, Joly failed to recognize them.

Jenn
9th June 2007, 12:48 PM
There's a weird old man who lives in my building and he swears that Audrey is a "vicious cocker spaniel." He was attacked by a cocker spaniel in the past. I gave up telling him that she was a cavalier. But it really annoys me b/c Audrey is such a mush!! I worry that he might say that one day and someone will believe him!

I've also gotten several offers for her. That's like asking me to sell my child!!!! Crazy people.

loveisokay
10th June 2007, 04:03 PM
Recently I got a guy seriously asking me to take her off me. I don't think so!

There was something that really annoyed me yesterday when I took my dog for a walk yesterday. My dog is only young but she is reliable off-lead on non-main roads, I trust her entirely. We were walking in a quiet town fairly late in the evening & around a corner came this woman. The dog saw her & got all happy like she does when she sees someone new, so this woman without ever talking to me the owner picked my dog up! To make matters worse, after baby-talking to my dog in her arms without asking she then curtly told me that I should not let my dog walk on her own as she is clearly tired. :confused:

The cheek!

Barbara Nixon
10th June 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm afraid that I agree with the woman, but for different reasons. If you walk a dog near any road, there is always danger of the unexpected. I once watched a demo by a man who's dog was a Crufts obedience entrant and he said that he wouldn't even walk this dog offlead , even in a quiet town, as you never know what could happen. the dog could be frightened by something, in town, or see a rabbit, in the countryside and end up being killed or maimed.

Another good reason: If this woman was a dognapper (dogs have been picked up , near their owners, only to have the person run away with them or toss them into a waiting car), at least you would be attached to the dog by the lead, so giving you a chance of foiling the thief.

loveisokay
10th June 2007, 05:08 PM
She was not talking about the road, she was talking about my dog in general being "tired". The road itself is partially pedestrian & the dog is, as far as I am concerned, trustworthy on that particular road. I agree about the theiving aspect - it opened my eyes. I could not believe the audacity of her.

Barbara Nixon
10th June 2007, 05:16 PM
Joly is obedience trained and I'm quite sure he would stay close, but I'm not willing to risk that tiny possibility that he'll be distracted. None of the obedience people , I know, whose dogs are much more obedient than Joly, won't risk theirs either.

loveisokay
10th June 2007, 05:25 PM
As I said, it's not a fully fledged "road". Definately not late on as well, so I trust her as she has an excellent recall. I guess every owner & dog is different, there was no risk aside from this woman who snatched her up & probably would have done if she was on a lead.

Lisa_T
11th June 2007, 01:19 AM
I suppose it all depends on your experience. Personally, I'd agree about never letting a Cav (we are talking about a Cav, aren't we?) off lead anywhere but an enclosed park- but I lost two dogs to the road as a child and swore I'd never lose another that way. So I'm very, very careful. I will not even let either of mine off in a park until we're some way from the carpark and any road exits- and even then, only if they're both totally focused on me. They've both got good recalls for both whistle and voice, but for my own peace of mind, I keep them on a lead. Even in the park I'm wary- Holly once got leapt on by a much larger dog, and the fact that she was on lead helped us to help her much more quickly. It's not just cars and thieves that are an issue- you have more control if an unpleasant situation of any kind develops suddenly.

Barbara Nixon
11th June 2007, 11:14 AM
The obedience dog owners, I refer to, own gsds, border collies , rotties and shelties. The man who gave the demo and talked about not letting off lead had a rescued mongrel, worthless to some, but beyond price to him ( and rightly so).

You never know what will startle your dog. My trainer had dogs, who would normally be glued to his side, take sudden fright at a particular stone wall, a radiator and a noisy toy (used by a child at a show).

loveisokay
11th June 2007, 12:32 PM
I appreciate all of these comments, she's not off lead all the time & rarely is. But at that particular time, for that short time, aside from this woman, I believed there to be zero risks from how well I know my own dog. I never do it other roads, just that one at that time. My previous Cavalier would not have been allowed - each dog is different.

Donna27
12th June 2007, 12:37 AM
So many people have asked me if Fiona is a "prince albert" :o now I'm sure some of you know what a prince albert is.... eek ;)
I get asked odd things all the time...always if she's miniature, if she's "part cavalier"... one that annoys me a lot is the people that ask me if I'm going to breed her. I get that more than I thought I would. When I say no people go "oh but you can make so much money!". Please, they dont even know what it entails...grr...

Barbara Nixon
12th June 2007, 10:28 AM
What is a 'Prince Albert' ?

A 'King Edward' is a type of potato, if anyone is wondering.

loveisokay
12th June 2007, 10:51 AM
I don't think anyone needs to know what a Prince Albert is.

Nisha
12th June 2007, 12:19 PM
Most people just say how cute my boys are....though all think they are still puppys! they are 1 year 7months now and are both approx 12 lbs...they havent grown in ages so i think they have stopped

Also, i have these dog groomers that come over every so often just to give the dogs a thourough clean and pamper them and the first thing he said was "lovely girls you have there"...and when i replied telling him they were actually boys he was like "no way!" and pointed at Milo and said that he could believe he was a boy but refused ot believe Monty was until he saw his ..you know...then he muttered "bit girly looking for a boy"....I was soooo indignant!!!!!!!! He looks like a boy!!!!!!!!!

Another good reason: If this woman was a dognapper (dogs have been picked up , near their owners, only to have the person run away with them or toss them into a waiting car),

TOSS THEM INTO A WAITING CAR!!! thats the most horrible thing ive ever heard!!!!!!!!!!! Who in the world would do something like that! i sickens me to think anyone could be that cruel!!!!!!!!!

AT
12th June 2007, 12:39 PM
Another good reason: If this woman was a dognapper (dogs have been picked up , near their owners, only to have the person run away with them or toss them into a waiting car), at least you would be attached to the dog by the lead, so giving you a chance of foiling the thief.

We went to a fun show a few years ago & a little girl asked to hold one of the dogs. luckily I kept hold of the lead because I felt it go tight when she tried to go out of the door !
The same girl came back later & tried to open the dog cage.

Nisha
12th June 2007, 12:41 PM
So she was trying to steal your dog??????? around what age was she??? the cheek!:shock:

Barbara Nixon
12th June 2007, 12:45 PM
I think Joly is a bit girly, as was Izzy, and I don't mind people assuming he's a girl. However, if I had girls, I don't think I'd like people assuming they were boys. Say my boys are pretty boys-ok; say my girls look butch-no.:D

Lindsay
12th June 2007, 02:27 PM
A girl I work with saw my dogs and went home and told her husband that she wanted a King James. :lol: She said he looked at her funny...I said, "Jill, you asked him for a Bible!" :lol:

Holly
12th June 2007, 02:31 PM
Barbara--I just love Monty every time I see him! Maybe because Oliver weighs in at 24 lbs...needless to say, people always say "Oh, he so big for a Cavalier!!"! Or, they say how cute "she" is..poor Oliver--no one thinks he's a boy!

One man asked me if I got him from the pound, which I had to chuckle at...if only he knew how long I had saved up to get Oliver from a good breeder...:) But, if I could have another dog right now, I would definitely adopt one! It just made me smile!