PDA

View Full Version : Are potatoes any good as part of CKC diet?

TonySlater
3rd June 2007, 07:29 PM
As the title really, are potatoes any good as part of Cavalier King Charles diet?, or would it be best to give them a miss? When I say potatoes, I mean potatoes of any sort, mashed whole or otherwise? I assume salted potatoes would be a big no no??

Tony

Karlin
3rd June 2007, 07:32 PM
No salt ever need sto be added in dog food -- they don't need sodium and it can be detrimental.

Some food lists say potatioes are not good but many dog foods include them. I note one of the biggest US vet schools recommends feeding potatoes and a protein source for dogs with allergies (well and added supplements of course, has to be done under supervision) so I am sure they are fine as an occasional addition.

Cathy T
3rd June 2007, 10:21 PM
Sometimes yams and white fish are recommended for a bad tummy. I know CA Natural had a duck and potato food.

Lisa_T
3rd June 2007, 11:59 PM
I use a salmon and potato food supplemented with real salmon, sunday dinner leftovers, daily conditioning tablets, and daily fish oil capsules- and my pups are lively, their coats shining, and I can't tell you the last time either had anything resembling a gloopy poo. I've seen more reactions to excess white meat than to spuds, to be honest, for what it's worth.

PamH
4th June 2007, 12:29 AM
Maddy loves sweet potato. I mix her wet dog food, a little sweet potato and a few tiny scraps of chicken together. That is probably her favourite food.
Pam

Caraline
4th June 2007, 02:47 AM
I give my guys potatoe occasionally for variety. It seems there are two camps regarding potatoes. Some say do & some say don't. Maybe the truth lies somewhere in the middle; perhaps they are of no great benefit, but also of no harm.

Nicki
4th June 2007, 09:29 PM
Raw potato is not good for them, but we often give cooked potato without any problems...

I think raw sweet potato is ok though {yams}

PamH
5th June 2007, 01:14 AM
I do cook the sweet potato.
Pam

angie
9th June 2007, 10:10 PM
potatoes make me laugh.....reason being that my dad grew up on a farm in italy and if we ever went to give him a baked pototoe would turn his nose up, one day i asked him why he ate all other potatoes but not baked and he said thats what he used to feed the pigs!!! jadan has a potatoe every now and again and he has no problems. :)