• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our puppy was mauled...long

Jenny37

I can finally post on here without crying. About 10 days ago, I was walking into the grooming shop, where I work as a groomer, I had our little 12 week old blenheim puppy named TinkerBell on a leash.

I didn't even have one foot in the door, when a chow being checked in, grabbed TinkerBell in his mouth and began what I call a death shake. Back and forth, the owner could not get the dog to drop TinkerBell, I finally hit his dog and TinkerBell fell to the ground screaming the whole time.

I immediatly ran out of the shop and drove to the nearest vet. TinkerBell was screaming and shaking. They had to x-ray her and would not let me stay with her. So I drove back to the shop to get this mans information and to my dismay the chow was still there with its sibling, another chow. I screamed to the owner and asked her why this dog was still here and she replied that she was going to groom them. I then proceded to ask her if she was out of her mind after what the chow had done to TinkerBell. She then went on to say that these things happen and she that she really couldn't tell if the dog was all that mean until she got them up on the table. I then began to rant about how she had no morals as there were 5 other customers dogs in the shop waiting to be groomed, yet she was going to allow the chow to stay. Needless to say, I quit...

Back at the vet, I get a call from the man with chow, wanting to know if TinkerBell had her rabies shot as his wife was supposedly bitten by TinkerBell. I told him that TinkerBell had just had her vacc. the day before. I then told him that his dog was beyond fiscious and that this was totally unacceptable. He then told me that his dog did NOTHING wrong and that my puppy instigated the whole scene.

At this point, I think I am in an episode of the old US show called The Twilight Zone. Who in there right mind would think a puppy would provoke a chow by just walking by it. He then told me not to contact him with any bills b/c he had no intention of paying them! I then lost him and called him words that I cannot say here.

TinkerBell was found to have no internal damage, but had many teeth bite wounds, one that would later abcess. She has been limping and could not walk at all the first 2 days after this happened. She was on 2 pain meds and antibiotics. She is still limping slightly, but each day is an improvement over the last. I thank god every day.

This man I later found out, is a retired state trooper. I am disgusted, but glad that TinkerBell will be okay. I am going to pursue the shop owner with the bills, as she has insurance for these type of things. The animal control would did nothing, since the dog bit another dog, not a person.

The next time, it will be a person.

oh my goodness, Jenny...I cannot even say how sorry I am that this happened to your poor tinkerbell. I was getting enraged just hearing about that guy!!! I would have said some very choice words myself to him. Can you not take legal recourse and get him to at least pay the bills? Ugh, Fiona and I will keep Tinkerbell in our thoughts...feel better. :(

Jenny,

How awful! I'm sure that both you and Tinkerbell will be affected by this incident for sometime. Hope she's feeling better soon!

OMG ... that is just awful :(

I am glad she is recovering and Lucky and I are crossing our fingers (and paws) for her continued recovery. :xfngr: :paw:

That brought tears to my eyes. I hope Tinkerbell is continuing to get better. People like that man should not own dogs - period. If your dog hurts another living being, you take responsibility for it. I am so sorry for you and Tinkerbell. Lots of kisses from Colin and Teddy :)

I'm so sorry you both had to go through all of that but glad Tinkerbell is getting better

:yikes

Just horrific. :( I cannot believe a dog that attacks another dog, much less a *puppy*, cannot be held to account (or rather, the owner). I'm so glad she is OK and recovering.

I am in tears reading this, Jenny37. I cannot believe this. This is one of the most horrible stories that I have ever heard. I cannot believe that this horrible man would endanger the lives of other dogs; even people, by letting a vicious dog such as his go unchecked.

I hate to say this, and I'm sure I'll be called on for this, but I'd hire a lawyer. I'd make it really hard for him. I really couldn't care what it costs at this point. I am so glad that Tinkerbell is slowly healing. Time will be of value here; she will gradually forget and I am sure she will thank you everyday for being her great owner; who cares so much about her adoring loving puppy. And there are PLENTY of other places with morals for you to work in. I am sickened by this.
Gentle hugs to little Tinkerbell and your whole family.:hug: -Natalie

That is both horrific & disgraceful. Here in Australia if that happened at the very least the owner of the chow would be fined & would be made ensure his dog wore a muzzle when in public... but depending on circumstances and the history of the dog he could even be ordered to have him put down.

I just can not believe the response of the business owner. Wow if that isn't a case of the almighty dollar coming before everything else I'll eat my hat. I'd be spitting blood!

Thank goodness Tinkerbell is going to be ok. :hug:

Jenny....That is just a horrible outrageous story. I am sickened by the owners of the Chow and the owner of the shop. The same thing happened to me when Lily was just 4 mos old at the Vet. Luckily, when I saw the GSD mix lunge at her, I was able to snatch her up just in time. Lily was screaming out of fright and the owner never said a word to me or her dog. She just looked at me as if Lily had provoked her dog! People like that should not be allowed to own dogs. I am so glad to hear Tinkerbell will be o.k. Hugs coming your way. :hug:

I'm still tearing from reading this. How horrible this should happen to Tinkerbell! I am so sorry. Hope she gets well soon. *hugs* for your baby Tinkerbell.

My jaw absolutely dropped when I read this...I can't believe the gall of both the groomer and the owner!! I can't even type because I am soo flipping pissed!!:mad:

You have my complete sympathies...You poor thing...If it were me in your position i would have been inclined to hit that man! I wonder if he would have cared if it was the other way round and your dog had nearly killed his!! (Not that a Cav would ever dare!!)

I hope all is getter better, Love and cuddles :)

:swear: Jenny - that is just horrible! I am appalled and outraged. I was so afraid you were going to say the chow had killed Tinkerbell...I was holding my breath. Thank God she is going to be okay. Oh...I would definitely report this to animal control. That was a flat out vicious attack. I tell you....had I been there I would have been kicking and smacking like crazy at that chow....no one is going to hurt my babies without a big huge fight from me. I am just so grateful you were able to get Tinkerbelle away from the dog and to the vet. I definitely would not let this drop.

Jenny

I am so sorry to hear about TinkerBell. I am glad she will be ok though this is very heartbreaking. I would also be outraged and want the owner to be accountable for his dog.

I thought you might be interested in looking at North Carolina State Law--NC General Statutes Chpt. 67 which states that administrative bodies can designate a dog as "dangerous" (attacking another dog while not on the owner's property is listed). I am not sure if it applies outside of communities, but we received a pamphlet about Pets in our neighborhood and the laws that are applied in NC a few weeks ago and thought it might help in your case against the owner. :flwr:

Also, in our county it does state that Animal Control is authorized to impound any animal which "has been observed or reliably believed to have bitten or attacked an individual or other animal". You may want to check your county's regulations.

Last edited:
I am so sorry that happend to you and tinkerbell.
I wonder if you could have pressed charges? there must be SOMETHING someone can do.
i mean if a dog can attack a puppy like that ...it could attack a child!!

I am so sorry this happened to you!!! I can relate some, because I was mauled by a dog in December, and lost a large portion of both of my lips, and I've been having to get reconstructive surgery for it. It's really frightening what some dogs are capable of doing :( I hope tinkerbell is better soon, and that you two can recover from something that is so emotionally damaging.

Oh my gosh....I am so so sorry. I too have a 12 week old blenheim. You can bet she will not be walking in any store, or vet's that may have other dogs on leashes. I will be thinking of your precious little one, and I hope you both get over this horrible experience!!!!! Judy

i am so glad that tinkerbell is healing. what an awful thing for you oth to go through. i would recommend looking up state laws in your area about the situation and finding out wherre you can report it. at least then there is a legal record on the dog (and more importantly the owner) so if it happens again, it can be proven that its not an isolated incident of dog aggression.

i hope not to offend anyone with this next comment but several people have mentioned worries that the dog may attack a human next. while it is posisble, dog aggression is usually not transferrable to child or human aggression. dog aggressive dogs are dog aggressive, while human aggressive dogs are human aggressive. some dogs have both issues but one does not make the other more likely.

also chows are a breed that is known for dog aggressive behavior. there are MANY wonderful chows out there but in the wrong owner's hands, who is not aware of the potential risk of dog aggression, we end up with situations like poor tinkerbell's.

sorry, off the soapbox now.

again, jenny i would like to express my sympathies adn positive thoughts being sent to you and tinkerbell. i hope she heals up well and continues to improve. also, good luck in your eventual job hunt. big :hug:.

Back