• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A new cavalier

Harvey's Mum

Hi everyone

Can someone please help me, I have been offered another cavalier aged 2 1/2 to go with Harvey aged 10 months. She belongs to a pensioner couple who can no longer look after her properly, but i was told by a friend that i cannot bring in an older then the one i have got because the new dog will over power him, is this true? I don't want to do anything that will upset Harvey, but this poor little girl needs a new home and we are willing to give her one. Any help much appreciated.

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

I've "brought in" older dogs, rescue dogs (more than a dozen over the years), puppies etc... I have had only one that did NOT get along with other dogs-- he had a neurological problem.

Holly was always fine with older dogs. I've taken in a rescue or two for Karlin and she's always been great. If the owners can't look after the dog, take it and i'm sure between everyone on the site, a good home will be found if the situation doesn't suit.
Y

as far as an older dog "overpowering" a younger dog, i really think it just depends on the individual dogs' personalities, not age. i know plenty of situations were the younger dog was the dominant one. i would see if you can have the two dogs meet in neutral ground adn see how they react to each other. good luck and keep us posted.

Oh pooh. For everyone that says you'll absolutely have a problem, you can find three that'll tell you they've done it quite well. It depends on a whole lot more than a book that says you 'can't do it'.

KC

When we had Sam was an older dog and Sam and Barney get on well so does Jazzie go for it please put up photos---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Dogs find their own hierarchy themselves which has nothing whatsoever to do with which dog was first, which is bigger, which is older... they will find the structure that makes them happy and 99% of the time you don't even need to care about it. Often it's the small, young terrier that comes along and runs a household of big older dogs! :lol: The main thing is -- most dogs LOVE a companion so I would jump at this wonderful chance for a second cavalier! :)

I'd go for it!

Thanks everyone, thats great news.

I spoke to the couple last night, and their daughter has decided to take the cavalier which is good for them so they can still see her. I have told them to keep my number in case they decide to let her go.

We are definitely going to get another cavalier, we want to do a rehome this time, so watch this space!!

Anna (Mum of Harvey)

Back