• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dreadlocks (aka verrrrrry matted fur)

Donna27

Any tips on preventing/treating doggie dreadlocks? I think Fiona's fur grew overnight, and all the sudden she has some very big matted areas that I dont think I can brush out and might have to resort to cutting. Any tips? She absolutely HATES being brushed, especially anywhere around her head and ears (she thinks the brush is an annoying toy and tries to bite it), so I can tell that this is going to be quite an ordeal when her adult coat comes in....:eek:

My mum does dog grooming from home. She also works elsewhere, so when she gets home from work i'll ask her for you. It'll probably be something simple.

As for the annoying brush thing, mums golden retriever hated them too. Mum used to rub her tummy and get me to brush her so she was distracted...(Sneaky!)

If dreddies are really bad... then maybe you will have to cut them...

I brush my fur babies at least once a day, twice on the days when I don't go to work, so I almost never get matts. For the rare ones, I use a cat slicker and start working at the very edge of the matt and as it starts to come free work upwards. If you do have to cut one out, I'd recommend getting a Mars Coat King as this doesn't do a horrible straight cut like scissors. In fact when the CC gets the matt out you can't see where it ever was.

Personally I think even a 30 second brushing every day is beneficial, not only to keep matting down but more importantly so the dog learns that this is a daily event that is totally unavoidable. I started brushing my guys right from day 1, even though they didn't need it then. Now they lay back all self indulgent looking as thought they are at the beauty salon. (y)

Last edited:
Just combed some major dreads out of Miss Shelby's ears. Funny you should post at this particular time...she rarely gets them...not sure where these came from. Luckily she's very good about being groomed and will lay on her side and let me work away at her. I use a greyhound comb, hold the hair close to the skin and stick the end of the comb in the middle and work through them. I know some people use a detangler but I've not had to.

Caraline is right....regular coming and brushing will keep them at bay. I usually groom every couple of days.

(she thinks the brush is an annoying toy and tries to bite it), so I can tell that this is going to be quite an ordeal when her adult coat comes in....:eek:

Hey Donna, just another thought.... When Beau was really little and at that stage when he wanted to attack the brush, I would use 2. I'd start brushing with one & when he started to attack it, I'd let him have that one & start brushing with the other. ;)

Hey Donna, just another thought.... When Beau was really little and at that stage when he wanted to attack the brush, I would use 2. I'd start brushing with one & when he started to attack it, I'd let him have that one & start brushing with the other. ;)

Love this idea, Caraline! Maybe I'll try that next time...it's hard when the knots are in the fluff behind her ears because she hates that no matter what, but I will definitely try that two brush idea...Thanks guys!:D

Brushing my 8 month old dog is a 2 man job as he too just wants to chew and attack the brush!!!

One person holds the dog with a tit bit in the air, whilst the other takes the opportunity to brush!! Works every time

;)

Back