• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Do tails feel pain!?

*Pauline*

:yikes :eek: I just rolled over Dylan's tail with my computer desk chair while I was sitting on it and he didn't even yelp. Don't they have much feeling in their tails? I feel awful I did that. I made a bed for him under the desk as he likes to sleep behind my chair with his head propped on a wheel which of course I can't let him do! I'm going to have to ban him from the study.

In answer to your question, yes, tails do feel pain, they can also get broken too, they have vertibrae all the way down to the tip. The tail is an extension of the spine. Hope this helps.

Alison

I felt very carfully down the tail, it isn't sore and it feels intact. Just wondering why he didnt yelp icon_nwunsure

It happen in slow motion to me and though I know it was quick, I'm kicking myself I didn't jump up to lessen the weight :mad: :eek:

My first springer had been badly docked (a vertebra too short) and never liked the end of her tail touched. I don't agree with docking, but, in those days, most springers were done soon after birth.

Hey Pauline, is it possible you just ran over the hair part of his tail? My Sonny has about 5" of really bush hair that extends well past his tail. As others have already said, yes the tail is subject to pain just the same as any other bodily part.

Barbara said:
I don't agree with docking, but, in those days, most springers were done soon after birth.

I feel the same way. Thankfully it is now illegal in Australia, but up until only a few years ago many breeds here were docked & you could not even show them if they weren't. Ear cropping has never been legal here.

Last edited:
This reminds me of being at obedience classes with Izzy and Joly. On several occasions I said 'Away' and the normally obedient dogs did not budge. In each case, I my foot was on some of their tail feathering. They aren't daft.

That's funny Barbara! Jake is such a sensitive boy. If you step on his tail feathers he'll squawk at you, just a little warning.

A door shut on Holly's tail- or at least, I think it did!- when she was about four months and you should have heard the yells. I was all set for taking her to the vet but half an hour later she was playing happily and even wagging her tail, if cautiously. Maybe the door only caught the very tip...

Back