PDA

View Full Version : Lens Luxation

Chardonnay
6th June 2007, 06:13 PM
Does anyone know anything about this?

My Brittany spaniel was in a bad car accident three months ago. Seems the lens in his eye has become completely detached. I have to monitor his eye and administer anti-inflammatories and eye drops and report to the vet about any changes, obvious signs of discomfort, etc..

Has anybody else had experience with this? Should I be worried?

Caraline
7th June 2007, 12:48 AM
Oh my goodness. No I've never heard of this. Have heard of a detached retina, but not lens luxation. Please keep us posted on how she is going and I do hope she heals up swiftly & completely.

Cathy Moon
7th June 2007, 11:51 AM
I haven't heard of it either.

Do you have a veterinary ophthalmologist?

Chardonnay
7th June 2007, 05:51 PM
Seeing an opthamologist is the next step should his vision continue to deteriote and the pressure in his eye increases causing pain. I understand one of the big risks with this condition is the development of glaucoma. Surgery may be recommended.

But he's a 13-year-old dog, wouldn't surgery of this kind be more harmful than helpful?

Cleo's Person
7th June 2007, 05:57 PM
I'm afraid I can't comment on the surgery - I've never heard of this condition before, and don't know the pros and cons etc. I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you both. Keep us posted on how he's doing. :flwr: