• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do I get him to sleep late?

yankeelaw

Winston is 13 months old. Over the past month or so he has gotten into the habit of waking up earlier (usually around 5:30a or 6a, which is at least an hour earlier than he used to). We are woken with face kisses...

Aside from the logical things (feed him later, go to sleep later, keep room dark, exercise him at night) is there anything I may be missing?

Thanks!

Also: don't respond to him. If my dogs try to get me up as it starts to get lighter in the morning, I just ignore them. If you respond, you have rewarded the unwanted behaviour (eg you make it worthwhile for him to try and get you up as soon as he wants to get up).

If it really becomes a problem the best thing may be to have him sleep in another room or crated in another room with dark curtains or a dark sheet over the crate. Having a radio on low volume can help as well.

I don't think feeding him later would make any difference.

What I definitely would not do is start to change your scehdule to suit his! :lol:

:xctly: I'm making the assumption you are in the northern hemisphere so your days are getting longer. Our dogletts don't know about clock time so they probably just wake up with the sun. We have just started winter down here so I get the joy of waking the dogs up rather than the other way around. :D Anyway, everyone has already said what I would have said so just nodding my head.

Do you feed the dog in the morning? We used to feed our girls in the morning, and they would get us up early so they could eat. Usually this wasn't a problem, as we had to get up for work, anyway. However, a nice lie in on the weekends was missed, so we had to changed the girls mealtime. Over a period of a few days we shifted the meal time to noon. They sleep in much better, as there's no great benefit for getting up early.

Can you keep the dog from getting on the bed to wake you with kisses? We have stairs for ours to get on the bed; if we take them away, they can't jump up (our dogs are small and our bed is high!).

Back