• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How safe are your dogs in your car??

Cathryn

Ok, this has been eating at me ever since it happened, will divulge more in a moment, but folks, how do you travel your dogs in your cars? Mine are always in the back in a Kennel Cab or a Cage, NEVER loose on the back seat, after an incident when I nearly crashed my car when a dog jumped on my lap when I was on the motorway :oops: many years ago, I nearly had to learn the hard way!

I ask this because of the following incident. I live on the outskirts of a large town, in a large village with lots of back lanes which are pretty well trafficked. We get our share of "Boy Racers", young men in souped up "Hot Hatchbacks" who thunder round the lanes trying to prove goodness only knows what to their mates.

Two nights ago, there was a horrendous accident on one of the lanes about 2 miles away, when I say horrendous I am talking, 3 killed, one very seriously injured possibly paralysed and a further person in a coma. Not nice at all I think you will agree.
Anyway, walking home from school with my eldest today I was talking to another parent who happens to be in the fire brigade and was called out to this accident, he told me that the lady who is now in a coma was driving an estate car (I think you in the U.S call them station wagons?) he went on to tell me that there were, they believe no fewer than 5 dogs in the back of that car, some of whom (no numbers available) were still unaccounted for :( These dogs were not restrained, crated or caged, the family of the lady is in enough distress about her condition, but they also have the worry of where their dogs are too.

I guess my message here is to make sure your dogs are travelling securely so that should, heaven forbid you are in an accident your beloved dogs will not be "unaccounted for", rather safe although shaken up in the back of the car!

Sorry, had to get this off my chest, this whole thing has rocked our village to the core :(

Cathryn, so sorry to hear that this happened. You are right, it is a great reminder to always secure not only yourself, but your dogs. I would be sick at my stomach if something happened to my babies. Take care :hug:

What a terrible accident. I can imagine how that must have shook everyone up. Both of mine ride harnessed in the backseat. My breeder told me about someone who's small dog got under the break pedal and cause her to crash into a tree. I took her story to heart. I find it much easier to drive without being distracted by the dogs. There are plenty of other distractions on the roadway as is is.

How awful! I feel so sorry for the families of the victims. Quincy rides in a lookout seat in the back seat This enables him to look out the window and enables us to glance at him from time to time, and not be distracted by a wiggly puppy. Before we purchased the seat, he oftentimes sat in my lap, and I found that very distracting and certainly was not safe.

You are so right Cathryn, all dogs should be suitably restrained whilst travelling in a motor vehicle. Here in Australia it is against the law to do otherwise, but it is largely un-policed and we see people driving with their dogs on their laps, with their dogs head & shoulders right out of a wound down window, with dogs romping around on the backseat.

I crate my dogs in the car. They do have harnesses but I never feel they are quite as safe as when they are in the crate.

Thank you for reminding us all about this important issue. :cool:

lady sits on the backseat in a car harness which attaches to the seat belt which she has finally got used to (woohoo) but for longer trips we plan on using a crate.

One of my little sister's best friends was killed when she got hit by a bus while driving with her dog. The theory was the dog was a contributing factor to the accident. Lucky is always harnessed in.

This is so important -- thanks for posting this sad story which is a good reminder to take that extra time to crate or harness dogs in cars.

I know two people in rescue who had car accidents when loose dogs being transported got underfoot or tried to climb into the driver's lap. :yikes It truly is dangerous even when you think you have the calmest, quietest dog. And a dog thrown in a collision may at best be lost forever if it runs from the scene; at worst it could be seriousy or fatally injured when thrown around, or from a car. :( Both options would bring such heartache.

Back