• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Constipated dog

sannie

folks, I need advice, Max is most definitely constipated he could hardly walk at this morning and on closer examination there was some stool stuck in his bum which he now seems to have dislodged causing a little bit of blood which cleared up almost immediately. However he still seems very uncomfortable and while is walking better he's not back to him self and seems very stiff. Any advice much appreciated before i go tearing off to the vet's though i feel a vet visit might not be necessary if I can help him myself.:xfngr:

(sorry if this gets posted twice)

alfs had that over xmas.we had to take him to the vets,which was lucky because he had stones there.so the vet removed them and he was fine.dont know if he has the same problem.

I would try feeding him moist dog food, and encouraging him to drink more water. Perhaps you could add a little water to some canned dog food in his bowl.

Another thing that might help is giving him a fish oil softgel everyday. We give our dogs one 1000mg softgel per day.

And of course feeding him vegetables will add fiber - cooked marrow, green beans, carrots.

Wow, poor little bloke, that sounds really uncomfortable. What diet does Max normally have to eat? I'm dittoing all that Cathy has said, but also, if Max gets raw meaty bones in his diet, you might need to reduce the volume as bones really firms up the poos. If my guys have a big bone day I notice their poos get very firm & dry.

my last cavalier was extremely constipated and cried when he tried to go to the toilet.

I took him to the vet and it turned out he had inflammed anal glands. He had some antibiotics which did the trick!

Without sounding gross, his anus looked 'gritty'.

A little rough bran (about two teaspoonsful) sprinkled on the food helps with both constipation and the opposite. It should be rough bran , like horses are fed or from a health shop and not the processed breakfast cereal.

Good thinking Mishmosh, he may have sore anal glands and be trying to avoid eliminating due to pain. I would definitely ask the vet to check his anal glands.(y)

Impacted anal glands can lead to severe and very painful infections and abscesses.

Yes, check his anal glands. They may be so swollen that he can't potty.
Lucky's glands abcessed because he acted like nothing was wrong until one day he came and looked up at me and seemed to say help! It took 3 antiobitics and 4 vet visits to get him right again.
I don't use bran but I use instant oatmeal in his food everyday. It has been 3 years and no anal problems. The vet is amazed!

Last edited:
I think it's his glands alright - I had a closer look and that area looks a bit raw and swollen. So it's a vet visit for us - he's behaving a bit better ate a little, is still interested in food but his still a little sore I think - thanks all for suggestions. I must get some bran for both doggies.

Back