PDA

View Full Version : HOMED: Big, really big, boy in Ohio

JaneB
10th June 2007, 04:50 PM
I just saw this guy on PetFinder and couldn't believe my eyes. They say he weighs 60 pounds!! Bandit would be a HUGE (no pun intended) project for someone but I'm sure he would be worth the effort. He's a beautiful boy!
JaneB

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8589846

Cathryn
10th June 2007, 04:57 PM
Oh Golly!!

He sure is BIG!! I'm sure that in the right home and on the right diet we wouldn't recognise him in 12 months time!! :xfngr: That he finds a loving forever home very soon!!

Barbara Nixon
10th June 2007, 05:37 PM
My goodness, he is overweight. Monty is only 33lbs and he is a tall, large framed dog. Let's hope this boy gets slimmed down, quickly, for the sake of his health.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/BarbaraNixon/002montyp.jpg

Karlin
10th June 2007, 05:57 PM
'A bit overweight'... :lol:. Big, really big is right, alright! :) I'd say that dog could get down to a third or half that weight to be fit, going by his picture. A good loving home with a bit of restraint would have him all sorted out with a good diet and lots of exercise. :) Bet he'd be one happy boy then too!

Lisa_T
10th June 2007, 09:53 PM
That's the understatement of the year. 'A bit' indeed. I've seen two Cavaliers today, both of whom were definitely overweight... but neither were anywhere near as bad as that dog!

Although I'm sure I remember reading that rawhide has virtually zero nutritional content, so surely it's been the treats and scavenging that's got him to that state and not the rawhide. Unless they mean pigs' ears of course..

Cleo's Person
10th June 2007, 09:57 PM
He's enormous! How did anybody let him get so big? I'm sure after a a few months on the right diet, there'd be a massive improvement.

Karlin
10th June 2007, 10:07 PM
a massive improvement

:rotfl: No pun intended I am sure!

We shouldn't be having fun at his expense, but he is so portly! :) I'll love to see some before and after pics as I bet he is lovely and will be transformed. But thinking of a 60lb cavalier takes some imagining.

moniechris
10th June 2007, 10:56 PM
Holy cow!!!:yikes What the heck were they feeding that dog???!!

Lisa_T
11th June 2007, 02:34 AM
an overdose of cow, according to the ad(!) :lol:

Poor dog. I now have an unholy vision of what Holly would look like at that size. I hate seeing any fat dog, but fat Cavs just annoy me. I have to bite my tongue to restrain myself from saying "Does MVD mean anything to you?" Although I did gently hint at it with the second Fat Cav I saw today- admittedly, he was eleven, and kept on a lead because otherwise he'd be "eating everyone's picnics"- and the owner shrugged and said, "Yes, apparently he does have a heart murmur, but..". I didn't quite know how to respond to that one!

It's striking the difference though. We also met a 5 year old overweight Blen boy. His owner commented on how 'lively and fine' my two were (they were complaining 'cos I was talking instead of doing important things like throwing balls). I think she was rather surprised to hear that Holly's not that much younger at four, because of the difference in energy levels. And then later on, we met a family with a pair of Cavs. They were five and three respectively but kept in good weight- and the difference was incredible.

I wonder what the correlation is between body weight and early-onset MVD?

Cicero's Mummy
12th June 2007, 07:07 PM
Just a note:

I went to look at this poor boy... and he looks more like a cocker/cav cross... still profusely overweight, but a cross none the less...

Karlin
13th June 2007, 12:21 AM
What was his personality like? He looks like a little bear! :)

He actually wouldn't be inconsistent with the kinds of cavaliers that can come from BYBs and puppy mills -- you will see a huge variation in size, head shape etc. Some cavalier lines way back when were actually developed using springers amongst other breeds (Bet would know all this in more detail) so you do see some odd and unusual features come to the fore sometimes. From viewing dogs on Petfinder a lot of the cavaliers look more like crosses.

The other issue is that many cavaliers from such backgrounds and used for breeding may have other breeds in their background more recently and this might emerge when other less than scrupulous breeders breed these dogs in turn.

I've seen some pretty odd looking cavaliers come from club-registered breeders too -- way off breed standard. That's why club registration on its own doesn't necessarily indicate a quality breeder. Research, research, research for the puppy buyer!

matties mum
21st June 2007, 10:27 AM
Has this big boy got a home yet does any one know---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney----Sam)

Cicero's Mummy
21st June 2007, 04:00 PM
Yes, friends of ours are going to adopt him!! WootWOot!

Cathy T
21st June 2007, 04:30 PM
Raven - that is excellent news!!!

matties mum
21st June 2007, 04:34 PM
Oh good can you get photos of him as well so we can see him when he has lost a bit of weight ----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie----Barney---Sam)

Denise G.
21st June 2007, 05:23 PM
What great news, Raven!! He'll be so handsome when he loses a huge bit of weight--poor fella. So glad to hear he's going to a good home! :rah:

JaneB
25th June 2007, 08:37 PM
Raven,
When are they getting him? I keep watching PetFinder to see when his posting disappears - he's still there! I sure hope everything is going to work out for the big guy and your friends. I was so excited to hear that he was getting a new home. Let me know what's happening - please.
JaneB

Cicero's Mummy
25th June 2007, 08:45 PM
yes, the franklin county shelter is a little slow on removing things off their site... I haven't seen them in a few days, so I don't know for sure, but they were going to go not soon after I last talked to them... like that day or the next to pick him up
... :)

Karlin
25th June 2007, 09:59 PM
That would be great if you can update when you know he's in his new home. :) Now he has a fanclub. :lol:

Zippy
25th June 2007, 10:15 PM
Their website says he's adopted!!:)

We need a picture of him and Cicero together!!! :D

Cathryn
25th June 2007, 10:29 PM
That is fantastic news!! :cl*p: Glad to hear it, now we need them to join Cavalier Talk and post loads of pics of him for us!!

Chelsealove
26th June 2007, 07:52 AM
Yes please encourage the new owners to join the forum so that we can get updated photo's of him!

Shay
26th June 2007, 11:05 PM
Raven....How's the little guy, or should I say big guy...LOL doing in his new forever home? Please let us know how he is adjusting with your friends and please post pics. I am so glad they adopted him.cl*p