• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Molly swallowed a bird...

ourempire

Help! 10 minutes ago Molly swallowed a baby bird. The bird was part of a nest under our roof, two other birds died earlier today, but my husband managed to pick up those, before Molly saw them.
But before when we came out to check on her in the garden, she carried another small bird in her mouth. We are sure there are no diseases, they simply died from the heat these days.
We tried to lure her to throw the bird away and eat meatballs instead, but she tricked us and swallowed both. We called the vet, he said not to worry, the baby birds have no real bones yet, and the remains will get out the natural way. But still! We ARE worried. We will of course check on her breathing, and if she vomits etc. Any good advice? Should we just let time pass?

Merry ate a mouse last year that she found in the yard. It was really gross, but she never showed any signs of illness. If your vet thinks Molly will be OK, that is a good thing.

Thanks! I just rushed to cavaliertalk, I knew I could find support and answers here! I know I may be over-reacting, but I have never had a dog before, and I don't know how much they differ from cats. My late cat also ate everything, but that's somehow different: they are SUPPOSED to catch mice and stuff. The bird just looked very big for our little dog -

I am sure she will be fine. Many members here actually follow raw feeding programs where they would give raw meat, including bones, every day -- I used to regularly give my dogs raw chicken necks for example. The bones in a baby bird would be very soft and tiny.

I'm sorry the little birds died! It's not exactly the snack any of us would want a dog to eat, I'm sure, :eek: but should cause no problems at all.

Yum, I bet she enjoyed them :p I'm sure she will be fine. I am one that feeds my dogs raw chicken necks & wings. I think she was very smart the way she managed it where she got to eat the birds and the meatball. Way to go Molly!

Update: Well, we now know that she is allergic to wrens ;) . She started vomiting around midnight, four times and very much, in fact, so we spent an hour up with her. It WAS also very hot in our bedroom, and it might have influenced it that we could not get the degrees under 29 Celsius. Then I moved downstairs in the kitchen with her, where it was a bit cooler, and I slept with a hand on her all night. Apart from a moment where I thought she was dead, because she didn't react to my touching (then I screamed, and she woke up and started barking, and I was releived!), it went fine.
This morning she is tired, and a little upset why she can't have breakfast but only is offered water. Poor little thing, and poor baby-wren. :eek:

Update: Well, we now know that she is allergic to wrens ;) . She started vomiting around midnight, four times and very much, in fact, so we spent an hour up with her. It WAS also very hot in our bedroom, and it might have influenced it that we could not get the degrees under 29 Celsius. Then I moved downstairs in the kitchen with her, where it was a bit cooler, and I slept with a hand on her all night. Apart from a moment where I thought she was dead, because she didn't react to my touching (then I screamed, and she woke up and started barking, and I was releived!), it went fine.
This morning she is tired, and a little upset why she can't have breakfast but only is offered water. Poor little thing, and poor baby-wren. :eek:

In the future, peroxide mixed with water induces vomiting in dogs. Our vet suggested this when I called after Gus ate a dead mouse that my neighbor posioned.:mad: Gus was 8 pounds at the time, and a tablespoon did the trick.

Thanks for the tip. Is it natrium peroxide og something else? Because then we will by some at the chemistry.
Today she is fine and back on full diet. Yesterday and the day before she was very exhausted and tired, and we kept a close eye on her.

this posting only relates slightly...my cat just ate my baby blackbird that i had been watching over for the last god knows how long and left his head on the door step for me:( i am very upset!!!!! she gotmy tame little robin last year too....do you think she gets jealous and eats them!!!!!

mmmmmmm!!!!maybe i shall stop putting out the bird food enticing the little critters in then! not very fair is it...here tweety tweety ...chomp!

Back