• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about OFA of parents

pinkpuppy

Could anyone tell me if the mom and dad of the puppy both have their OFA and CERF current. What happens if you find the mom's mother, but cannot find the dad? Is it also necessary to have the puppies parents screened instead of the grandparents. Sorry, I am so new to this type of questions since the breeder was not volunteering the information. She told me to look all this up on her website which did not provide the information I was looking for. Thanking you in advance.:paw:

Could anyone tell me if the mom and dad of the puppy both have their OFA and CERF current. What happens if you find the mom's mother, but cannot find the dad? Is it also necessary to have the puppies parents screened instead of the grandparents. Sorry, I am so new to this type of questions since the breeder was not volunteering the information. She told me to look all this up on her website which did not provide the information I was looking for. Thanking you in advance.:paw:

I don't pay to have the results sent in. I give copies of all the test results to the new puppy buyers. Yes, it is important to have the tests run of the parents. Just because the grandsire and granddam are clear does NOT mean their offspring were clear.

So, it's okay if I ask the breeder for the current information in regards to the offspring the breeder may have for sale? Thank you, Sandy!

So, it's okay if I ask the breeder for the current information in regards to the offspring the breeder may have for sale? Thank you, Sandy!

I always encourage people to ask questions. It means they have done some research and know what problems can exist in the breed. Heart , Patella and Eye test should be done within the year of breeding. OFA hip report - this is the most expensive of the four minimum tests that I do. It only has to be done once. I have done prelims instead of waiting until they were two years old. The patellas can be checked by a regular vet--

Just so you know-- I do know of some breeders who don't do hips. Cavaliers are a smaller dog and even my vet thinks I go overboard with the hip testing.

Double thank you's, Sandy. Guess it's back to the "buying the a puppy" thread questions which I need to make an outline of. I will ask the breeder regarding three tests you have done regularly.

I think using the OFA website is a good research tool as you will often get answers right away as to whether a breeder does truly have their dogs checked. But many do not submit results and asking for the certs and asking about the breeder's approach to breeding is always the most im[ortant thing to do. :) Also I find the OFA site useful as if absolutely no dogs from the breeder's kennel name comes up, then I would want to double check they are a legitimate show breeder too. Usually even if the breeder might not send in results, others who own his or her dogs may have. You can also use the breed pedigree databases online to do this kind of basic search. Newer breeders of course may not appear in any such results but again, then you want to be sure to talk and ask the breeder directly such important questions as that is more imortant than internet results. Also few breeders outside the US/Canada use OFA.

Every good breeder I have ever talked to is VERY happy when prospective buyers inquire about their lines and breed health, and any testing that they do. :) Some may or may not do some specific tests and they should be able to discuss why not. I don't know any good breeders who wouldn't be cardiac testing, however, for example. And personally I'd prefer breeders who do use testing to be as aware as possible of the status of their breeding dogs. :) There are different perspectives amongst breeders on which tests to do and how to use results.

Then it is a good idea to ask breeder's for the OFA and CERF information regarding the breeding health of parents?

I did the search and was pertrub that neither dam or sire was on the OFA site. However they are only reviewing my questionnaire for consideration. In fact one breeder that had a tri-color puppy for me kept referring to her site to see the parents pedigree which is nice, but inconclusive. Only one a grandmother's information showed up while the others have not. I also found the breeder that is considering me as a potential adoptive Cavalier person through the ACKCS site of referred breeders.

Worried and scared.

I think using the OFA website is a good research tool as you will often get answers right away as to whether a breeder does truly have their dogs checked. But many do not submit results and asking for the certs and asking about the breeder's approach to breeding is always the most im[ortant thing to do. :) Also I find the OFA site useful as if absolutely no dogs from the breeder's kennel name comes up, then I would want to double check they are a legitimate show breeder too. Usually even if the breeder might not send in results, others who own his or her dogs may have. You can also use the breed pedigree databases online to do this kind of basic search. Newer breeders of course may not appear in any such results but again, then you want to be sure to talk and ask the breeder directly such important questions as that is more imortant than internet results. Also few breeders outside the US/Canada use OFA.

Every good breeder I have ever talked to is VERY happy when prospective buyers inquire about their lines and breed health, and any testing that they do. :) Some may or may not do some specific tests and they should be able to discuss why not. I don't know any good breeders who wouldn't be cardiac testing, however, for example. And personally I'd prefer breeders who do use testing to be as aware as possible of the status of their breeding dogs. :) There are different perspectives amongst breeders on which tests to do and how to use results.

I just made an inquiry to the breeder regarding the OFA and CERF. The breeder responded with now the puppy is not available for adoption. After the hard selling pitch now a retraction because I ask for certification? A little bit disappointed. :(

I just made an inquiry to the breeder regarding the OFA and CERF. The breeder responded with now the puppy is not available for adoption. After the hard selling pitch now a retraction because I ask for certification? A little bit disappointed. :(

Don't be-- IT could mean that the testing was never done. I never get upset because people ask about testing. I think I usually go overboard with the explanation of Pedigrees/ testing and why I am not keeping the pup they are buying.
The last pup I sold was recently neutered. The vet looked at the pup and asked the owners why this gorgeous pup was sold and HAD to be neutered. The only thing they remembered from my LOOOONG speech was he had freckles--lol.

Don't be-- IT could mean that the testing was never done. I never get upset because people ask about testing. I think I usually go overboard with the explanation of Pedigrees/ testing and why I am not keeping the pup they are buying.
The last pup I sold was recently neutered. The vet looked at the pup and asked the owners why this gorgeous pup was sold and HAD to be neutered. The only thing they remembered from my LOOOONG speech was he had freckles--lol.

The puppy was neutered and sold because of freckles? :confused: *Just kidding*!:D

I will assume as the breeders are asking the most difficult questions to place their furbabies. As a potential adoptee Cavalier mom I must in return inquire the health questions of the dam and sire of the pup. Which should be a welcome by breeder that the potential buyer is semi knowledgeable in the health of a CKCS puppy before attempting to adopt.:paw: Guess it must mean it was a bad sign from this potential breeder.

Thanks, Sandy!:paw:

Hello!

I am from the other side of the pond so to speak, and personnally speaking if a breeder withdraws a puppy because you asked her for proof of health testing for the parents, then you are better off!
Like Sandy I am happy to answer questions regarding health testing and actively encourage them, when I have pups going off to new homes they take with them a little album with parents pics, early puppy pics, pedigree and most importantly of all for me copies of both parents heart and eye certificates, a copy of the eye certificate for the entire litter (I screen my litters then get the official certificate a year later) and a letter from my vet stating the pup was healthy at the time it was sold into it's new home. This way both myself and the new owners know that I have done as much as possible in order to produce a sound and healthy litter!!

One other thing I feel I should add, in the UK it is VERY rare for a breeder to hipscore a Cavalier and I do not know of a scheme for elbows at all! So heart and eye certs are the only thing you are really guaranteed! If a breeder insists they don't need to health test because there is nothing wrong with their dogs, walk away, no matter how cute the puppy or how long it has taken to find the puppy, please just walk away!!

I hope that you find your baby very soon, they are out there waiting for you, you just have to find each other first!!

Best Wishes

I send a copy of my testing results to even the ones who don't ask. I'm proud of it. One of my puppy buyers had gotten their first puppy from a very famous breeder. He said "so and so never gave us these certificates!" Any breeder who avoids your questions, as long as they are reasonable, is trying to hide something.

That is what I am starting to feel that they are avoiding certain questions. I had several breeders contact me back today after a month of exhausted searching. Now they have puppies, price, but they they forget my last question which overrides the price of a puppy. What about the health certifications? To this, all the breeders that contacted me today have neglected to provide me with a searchable number or a promise of healthy parents for a puppy. I'm still confused as to how this can be especially when many of these breeders were from the AKC Cavalier listing of recommended breeders. Really, thoroughly confused now. My husband refuses to allow me to purchase a puppy without any of these guidelines the forum has so graciously provided. I really don't mind if they don't have puppies present time. May have a litter next year which is understandable. I do have an appointment to meet a breeder whom was referred by the CKCS.org. She doesn't expect any puppies this year, but would like to interview me in person so that I may see her Cavaliers (both parents) in person. This all while still looking, hoping perhaps maybe there is one litte one that needs a home.

Last edited:
The last breeder you mention sounds quite promising, she wants to see you before she has puppies! You will get to meet the hopeful parents, this gives you a wonderful opportunity to ask as many questions as you want! You will get to see the temperament of the hopeful parents firsthand as well, but also expect to be questioned loads yourself by her! I would certainly make the trip to meet this breeder!

That is what I am starting to feel that they are avoiding certain questions. I had several breeders contact me back today after a month of exhausted searching. Now they have puppies, price, but they they forget my last question which overrides the price of a puppy. What about the health certifications? To this, all the breeders that contacted me today have neglected to provide me with a searchable number or a promise of healthy parents for a puppy. I'm still confused as to how this can be especially when many of these breeders were from the AKC Cavalier listing of recommended breeders. Really, thoroughly confused now. My husband refuses to allow me to purchase a puppy without any of these guidelines the forum has so graciously provided. I really don't mind if they don't have puppies present time. May have a litter next year which is understandable. I do have an appointment to meet a breeder whom was referred by the CKCS.org. She doesn't expect any puppies this year, but would like to interview me in person so that I may see her Cavaliers (both parents) in person. This all while still looking, hoping perhaps maybe there is one litte one that needs a home.

I didn't think the AKC made recommendations on breeders.

Being on a list of breeders in a breed club doesn't necessarily mean anything. You can get kicked off of a list (or club) if someone brings charges that are found to be true. Find a breeder you like, and then decided on a pup. Because all cavalier pups are cute and that shouldn't be the sole "reason" to buy the dog. fwiw Sandy

I am now on 2 waiting list. Both of whom are expecting a normal small litter and are also looking to replenish their own stock with potential show dogs. I also still have to visit the other breeder when she gets back from showing her Cavaliers and she's the one of the breeders that does not expect any puppies this year. So that makes 3 breeders with possibilities for a healthy puppy hopefully by next spring. This is hard! I hope I meet up to their expectations. Just feeling a little faint and nervous.:paw:

I didn't think the AKC made recommendations on breeders.

Being on a list of breeders in a breed club doesn't necessarily mean anything. You can get kicked off of a list (or club) if someone brings charges that are found to be true. Find a breeder you like, and then decided on a pup. Because all cavalier pups are cute and that shouldn't be the sole "reason" to buy the dog. fwiw Sandy

Back