• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan started marking..in the house!!!!!!!!

*Pauline*

Dylan learnt to cock his leg a couple pf weekends ago. The following weekend he marked in my friends house twice. She has a female dog. He was told off straight away. This week he marked 3 times in my kitchen. I didn't see him do it so I didn't tell him off.

I made him a belly band and plan to treat him when he goes outside just like house training, is this a good plan? He doesn't want to go on command now, he always used to.

Any tips would be welcome as I'm very disappointed! I house trained so quickly with no slip ups for months, now this.

Thank you.

I'm sure that you know that marking territory is not the same as urinating on something. They look like they are going through the same process, but marking is actually placing their scent on something to let any other dog that happens along that this is his space.

Castrating Dylan will reduce his desire to mark his territory but not his ability. I don't know of any case of a dog continuing to mark after surgery.

And now you're gonna come back and tell me that I've forgotten that he has been neutered!:confused: If he has, I don't know the answer, but I bet you know who I would suggest that you call!:D

Good luck with this. I know what a problem it can be.

Bono did mark inside a breeders house twice when he was in that age, I think. But then he just grew out of it... But ofcourse he marks like mad outside still today O.O

I don't know, I don't have any advices, we just tried to catch him in the act and tell him of, like you're doing.

I had the same problem with Chester. He did it a few times at home & once round my In-Laws.

I was always going to get him neutered but didnt really want to have it done till he was a year. Anyway, after discussing it with the Vet (and on here), I decided to have hime done early (he is nine & a half months). That was nearly 3 weeks ago now & he hasnt tried it inside since.

The Vet did say that if you leave it too long then they can do it inside due to habit as well, that's when I made the decision to get him done before he had got used to doing it inside.

This was discussed some time ago , on another forum , and a vet commented that castration is not guaranteed to stop marking and that castrated dogs will still mount bitches. (Joly's grandad continued to do so .)

All my dogs are entire, but Monty has never marked and Izzy only marked alien items, brought in from elsewhere. (eg cardboard boxes) However, Joly and teddy were aweful and ruined my green carpet, as the stains set. Oddly, since Izzy's passing they rarely do it and then it's usually in the bathroom or on the kitchen door, after the ritual wees outside.

Having bought expensive products, I find that Simple Solution, from PaH , is just as good for removing smells and most stains. It works on non-pet stains, too.

Back