• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help!!!

*Pauline*

Ok, so I had big plans to keep Dyan intact. Even learnt how to check for testicular cancer. Fell in love with his wonderful coat and worried that he would get cotton coat too (I know a minor issue). Dylan's breeder doesn't encourage dogs to be neutered as so many owners let them get fat. (Well she knows I would not let him get fat).

But he has started marking and I have thrown all my ideas out the window! I hope I am not over reacting and would appreciate your advice.

I can get him neutered on Monday :eek: Jenny, his breeder, suggested asking for hormone injections first. But she said I might have to just have him neutered. She said he could do with putting on weight as when he was ill recently he lost lots of weight and he was already a bit thin before.

I am house sitting for Jenny on the 3rd July and will have lots of dogs (13) but only the 2 new mums and one other puppy in the house with us so lots of activity for Dylan. Will he be ok by then? How long is recovery?

I need your advice soon as I may need to ring back today to get the sooner appointment!

Thank you all xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Just keep him distracted. Oakley was the same, they get over it if you just redirect their attention.

I went through all this when Chester started marking, I know it's a big decision.

Can't offer you any advice on the hormone injections but I can tell you what happened with us when Chester was neutered. We had him done at the end of last month, he was really really dopey on the day (to be expected as he also had to have a couple of teeth removed, anal sacs emptied & microchipped!). The next day he was still a little sleepy but by the third day he was almost back to his usual self.

The actual incision is very small, probably around half an inch at most. The sac was swollen for the best part of a week and it almost looked like they were still there but that has gone now & the sac is disappearing fast.

Ten days after he was done we went down to Devon for a week & he loved it. Running around in the sand & lots of long walks everyday as if nothing had happened, so I would say Dylan would be fine for when you are housesitting.

They say it takes around 2 weeks for all the testosterone to leave them & I have noticed he is a little more sleepy nowadays but then from what I've read, that can also be put down to him getting older.... or it could just be me being paranoid, which isn't unheard of!

Recovery for neutering is very short, only a week or less, if both his testicles are descended.

To help ease your mind, Geordie was neutered young and his coat is the most beautiful of my three - it never changed. Also, his weight is not a problem. He's very active and I measure his food.

Well I would get him neutered, but that is just me! There are many risks with keeping a male intact, especially when females are in heat. Also, as you can see, issues such as marking, humping and all sorts of behaviour problems.

As Dylan is about... 9 months now?? he is a good age to be desexed! His personality will stay the same and I'm sure his activity level will stay up, if you keep it up.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help... Ollie will be going in next month so I'm a newbie to this! :eek:

Thank you everyone for your advice, I booked the appointment for Monday and tried to persuade the nurse not to trim his willy hair!!! I feel a bit nervous and a bit excited I know I have made a good decision.

Only problem now is that I'm looking after a 11 year old girl for a week from Sunday. She plays with Dylan constantly but I'll have to say no games. Her Mum is depressed and is sleeping a lot in the day and she is not in school till September. She called me herself, bless her, she's bored on her own and said she is missing religious meetings which she wants to go to with me. My son Ash adores her, he acts like she's his daughter always teaching her, guitar, art etc. That boy is so broody :rolleyes:

Hi Pauline, I definitely support your decision to get him neutered. Charlie ended up dying from a testicular tumour which spread to his abdomen :( He'd had it for a couple of years, but the vet decided not to get rid of it because by the time we found it his heart was too poorly for the surgery to be safe. You end up wondering 'what if' - how long could he have lasted for if we'd had him done earlier.

Hope Dylan recovers quickly x

Hi!

When Mum and Dad had Jake neutered, he had an undescended testicle which had a hernia around it, he was back on his feet in no time at all, to be honest with you, you will probably have more trouble keeping him calm, they do recover from these ops very quickly indeed so try not to worry too much! I will be thinking of you and Dylan on Monday, try not to worry too much!!

When I had Spencer fixed, the first day was awful for me as he was so groggy and kept looking at me with those sad eyes. Next day...back to normal 100%. Of course you have to keep them calm for a couple of days until they heal a little more. And he has the best coat out of my 3 too! And he quit peeing on my CURTAINS! :w**h**: Good luck! :xfngr:

Marking is just a phase if the dog has previously been house trained. It passes, but can be made more tolerable with the use of a belly band.

When we adopted Sonny (previously used as stud) it was on the condition that he remain intact as his breeders may wish to use him again. They warned us that he might try to mark in his new home, so they sent us home with 2 belly bands. He did try marking for a couple of days, but only ended up peeing in his own pants. A soggy belly band was good incentive for Sonny to stop cocking his leg.

I've now got them (the belly bands) tucked away for the day when Beau decides he might like to mark in the house. We have kept most of our dogs in tact and have not had any more peeing issues with them than a spayed/neutered one.

Hi Pauline,
The neutering is hard to stomach but I really believe he will be better off. Our Brandy is much happier since we neutered him. It really was a weight off his mind because he was a randy git!

As regards weight, there is absolutely no reason why Dylan would get fat, especially as you are so aware of it. I have a friend with a young cavalier and he has allowed her to get excessively overweight since she was neutered. He blames the neutering - I blame the fact that he free feeds and never ever walks her. Same person just bought an exercise bike for himself but I digress!!!!

Best of luck for Monday - he'll be fine after a few days. They really are troopers.

jadan hs been done and is the same as he ever was...his coat is a little wirey but i put that down to having been scalped ....sorry....clipped a bit to harshly. but its growing back nicely. i know our breed are renowned to be very submissive anyway but i read somewhere that if boys arent done (any breed) then some dogs that are more dominant and verging aggressive may go for other boys intact as they smell them as rivals, nature i guess. anyone know any truth in this? sounds like it makes sense.

Would disagree with that personnally, I have 3 entire/intact boys here and no problem at all, also a young lad only 4 months old, the only time I would neuter is if they had an undescended testicle (this can lead to testicular cancer) or if there were marking/aggression issues.

My 6 year old stud dog can grumble a bit when out walking and come across a dog he would consider a rival, but one quick "Leave it!" from me and he's fine!! At home the boys all know their place in the pecking order and I can honestly say I have no problems, currently I have 2 girls in heat and NO problems!!

Just my own experience is all!!

sorry peeps...i have to be soo carefull how i say things as i realise they arent sometimes read as i intended. i was no way saying that this should be a reason to have ANY breed done....i was just including a question as to whether anyone had ever heard of this ? :)

Back