• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy farm legislation in Ireland

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I was thrilled to get a text message from a friend in Ireland while I'm out here in Las Vegas letting me know the lineup of new ministers in Ireland (yes it is sad but this is what my FRIENDS text me; imagine what I get that is work-related!).

I am delighted to learn that we now have a coalition govt as of today that includes the Green party, who have been given two ministries. One is John Gormley in Dept of the Environment. This is GOOD NEWS for cavaliers and animal welfare generally as this ministry deals with dog and cat related matters amongst its broad remit, and the main political party in government has sat on the recommendations of the Puppy Farm Working Group (submitted to this ministry) to bring in fresh controls to try and eliminate Ireland's huge puppy farming industry -- cavaliers are badly exploited through this industry and it is the source of many poor quality cavaliers that go to the US and UK. Many here may remember this has been an issue that TKC (Tara) and LisaW and I on this board have very actively fought and campaigned for. The Greens came out to support us at the demo we organised last year and we can fully expect good legislation to come into place with more, I hope, to follow to better fund pounds and raise Irish animal welfare standards above their very low level at the moment.

Not dog related :), but the other minister is Eamon Ryan in the Dept of Communication, who is, along with his wife Victoria, an old friend of mine. This ministry comes into the domain I write about, and it will be exciting to have as bright and dedicated a person as Eamon in this important role.

I am really happy we will have some fresh perspectives in these two areas. :rah: I am going to be organising a meeting with Minister Gormley as soon as I get back and see if we can get the department moving right away on that puppy farm legislation as it is all ready to go.

It's great news alright Karlin. It's about time we had some like minded people in government. Animal welfare in this country is long overdue an overhaul. Was listening to a debate on Rottweilers on the radio earlier this week and there was no mention of the fact that people are breeding for profit while thousands of dogs are being put down every year. It really is time something radical was done to stop this practice. I could go on and on. Hopefully something really meaningful will come out of John Gormley's ministry.

Happy days!

So many rotties come into the pounds as strays too. :( So many backyard breeders of this breed. :mad:

We are SO far behind on welfare issues for animals. Irish folks might want to check out www.anvil.ie, the lobby group for better animal welfare standards. I am sure they will be happy with the result of the ministerial shuffle as well.

The puppy farmers are going to be freaking out at the moment, that's for sure. They will know the implications to their vile 'industry'.

The puppy farm legislation BTW actually applies to kennelling dogs generally so the standards in that legislation would apply to pounds and private kennels too! :)

I'll let you know. Before the previous minister FINALLY gave a commitment to implement the recommendations of the report last year, we submitted an online petition that many here had signed. :) I don;t imagine we will need to bend any arms with Gormley as he is one of the TDs that has supported legislation.

Karlin,

Congratulations and good luck. Sydney and I are wishing you success not only for present and future Cavaliers but for all the animals in Ireland.

Bark On!

Ruby and Sydney in Virginia :paw:

Back