• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

CKCS quirks or...?

Chardonnay

I've had several different breeds over the years but Maggie is my first Cav and I have noticed that she has a really goofy personality and I was wondering if some/most/all of these are common traits among the breed.

1. She kicks her back legs out when she is excited, like when she wants to play...really quite adorable

2. When she is playing with a toy or someone she really likes she makes these really funny noises - I can't even describe what they sound like, but she cracks me up.

3. If she hurts herself (and she is a total wimp), she literally screams. I mean, screams. One time I tied her up to my chair when I stopped at an outdoor cafe and she got the leash wrapped around her leg and she panicked and started screaming and people came running outside because they thought a child was hurt. And she won't stop screaming until I pick her up and comfort her.

4. Empty water bottles are her favourite toy...no other dog I've had has had the least bit of interest in water bottles.

5. She's sneaky like a cat. My Brittany spaniel is much older and thus the dominant presence in the household and she will bow down to him. But whenever he's chewing on a rawhide or ball or some other toy, she'll lie down quietly and watch him, waiting for him for him to get distracted (like if he turns his head to scratch an itch) and then she moves in and snatches away the object of interest before he realizes what has happened. Then she hides on him.

6. She always wants to play with dogs who don't want to play with her, but scampers away from those who do.

Anybody else's CKCS share these traits - any others you can think of?

Last edited:
This cracks me up! I wondered about some of these behaviors with Annie too! She does a lot of the same things.

She kicks her back legs out when she's barking at something (especially squirrels ans bunnies).

She looooooves water bottles. Forget the $12 Kong rope toy. Just give her a water bottle and she's happy for hours.

She's very sneaky when it comes to stealing socks or underwear. She grabs them and scoots!

It's funny how much alike they all are. Does Maggie love shredding paper? Does she do zoomies (run around the house like she's possessed once a day)?

Dave

Willow definitely has some of these...the leg kick, for sure, and also the water bottles. The water we usually get just changed the bottle it comes in, and the new one is way too flimsy, so we kept every bottle from the last case of the old type so we can give them to her over time! Crazy the things they like. :)

Yes, Maddy kicks her back legs out, yes she makes funny "talking" noises, yes she loves water bottles, yes she loves to play with dogs who don't want to play with her, doesn't want to play with dogs that do.
She is such a love and we adore her, funny things and all.
Pam

Annie - she absolutely adores shredding paper of any kind. Oh, and the zoomies - she does that two...pretty funny to watch.

She also has to carry something, anything in her mouth when we go for a walk...a rawhide is her favourite, but pine cones are a close second - and she doesn't get tired and drop them like most dogs do. But one day I was walking down the street and people were pointing at her, which isn't unusual because she looks pretty funny when she's carrying something. But when I finally looked down I realized she had a dead sparrow in her mouth!

Sam got his leg caught on something and he did scearm my O/H wonder what was happening ----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

She also has to carry something, anything in her mouth when we go for a walk...a rawhide is her favourite, but pine cones are a close second - and she doesn't get tired and drop them like most dogs do. But one day I was walking down the street and people were pointing at her, which isn't unusual because she looks pretty funny when she's carrying something. But when I finally looked down I realized she had a dead sparrow in her mouth!

Annie did that a pine cone once too. She walked all the way home from the park with that thing in her mouth. Such quirky little creatures. But it's all part of what makes them so darn lovable. :)

My favorite of Lucky's ... when we are walking and the cottony pollen was falling down (it was like snow a couple of weeks ago ...), Lucky will spy the falling pollen, lock in on it, and then JUMP up, mouth open and catch the pollen in his mouth like a snowflake.

It so reminds me of when we were little kids and would try to catch the snowflakes in our mouth. He LOVES windy days ... so many fun things to chase.

Hmm let me see now! icon_nwunsure icon_nwunsure

1. Yes!
2. Yes!
3. Yes!
4. Yes!
5. Yes!
6. Yes!

Guess you can say it's a Cavalier thing then!! ;) :lol:

What do you mean by "kicks legs out"?

After hearing other people saying their dogs liked water bottles, I tried it out. Such a great toy! She's learnt a new game through it. :D

Shelby is a big time leg kicker. We laugh because if she's laying on her side and you sit next to her and pet her tummy you get kicked! Jake is the one who has to carry something. On walks it's a pinecone or like the other day...a big huge leaf! The wind kept hitting it back against his face...but did he drop it....absolutely not. He also carries his little pup pup (stuffed dog) around the house and cries when he feels he's not getting enough attention.

Just thought of another funny thing Shelby does. When I'm leaving the house I close the doggie gate. If Shelby is on the wrong side I say "this way" and wave my hand to guide her to the right side....she always does one spin (we laugh and say she pirouettes) before she comes to the right side :D

Just thought of something else! At feeding time Rosie right from a small puppy would sit right up on her back legs with her front legs straight down almost like a meerkat, we call it her "Meerkat Impression" She does this whenever she wants your attention, it is so funny to see! :lol:
Well over the years it has been noticed that her 3 daughters, Tasha, Bella and Crystal also do the same thing, so now at feeding time we have Rosie, Bella and Crystal all in a row sometimes like a little pack of Meerkats!! Too funny!! :lol::rotfl:

Hahaha! How funny, all of these things match my Bono, exept the whimping and waterbottle ones.

Aren't they just the most wonderful breed in the world?

Teddy's the only one who back kicks and it's usually if he gets into the hall and after he's been outside.

He's the only one with interest in bottles and that is to chew the neck to get at anything that may be inside. We don't use bottled water, so any botttle will smell of pop (soda) or sauce.

Is this what you mean, Cathryn ? I made the mistake of teaching Joly this and he uses it to 'force' you to treat him.

005refusehim.jpg

Joly walks round , usually with something in his mouth, chortling, to greet anyone, while Teddy jumps and yaps, piercingly, with Monty doing his rockinghorse impression , at a distance.

Izzy was the most expressive. He would look at what he wanted (usually something left on the fireplace shelf), then at me then back, like clockwork, meanwhile snorting and throat clearing, ending with a back legs dance, if that lot got no result.

Back