PDA

View Full Version : bleeding outside of a heat



Natalie
17th June 2007, 04:03 PM
Lady started to bleed quite heavily last night we took her straight to the emergency vet and he thinks that she may have a cyst on her Ovary or that she has gone back into heat again and she may continue to do so untill she is spayed. We need to go back to the vets again on mon so our normal vet can decide what to do. He suggested they bring the spay forward would this cause her any problems having surgery so soon after a heat? She only finished 3 weeks ago and she stopped bleeding 5 weeks ago.

Emma n Renco
17th June 2007, 04:12 PM
No advice here as my pup is male but just to say I hope everything goes ok, keep us posted.....

Cathryn
17th June 2007, 04:19 PM
Hi!
Sorry to hear that Lady has problems. First of all if the vet needs to bring her spay forwards then go along with it, they would not recommend it if it wasn't safe, they usually like to wait until 3 months after a heat so that everything can go back down to it's normal size and give them more room to manoevre inside basically. However if there is something that is causing problems they would spay even during a heat if necessary, at the end of the day if it is in your dogs best interest then they will go ahead.

Does sound like a cyst, or maybe a split heat but that depends on how "normal" her heat was, some bitches don't quite have enough hormones, have a heat and then the hormones pick up and that can bring them back into heat very quickly, either way it is not considered a good thing for a bitch to be "cycling" less than 6 monthly.

Fingers crossed that all goes well with Lady, will be thinking of you!!

Natalie
17th June 2007, 04:22 PM
thanks i thought that spaying while her hormones are high could cause fasle pregnancies in the future?

Barbara Nixon
17th June 2007, 05:55 PM
Extra bleeding can also be a sign of pyometra. That happened to one of my springer bitches. If this is so, getting rid of the poison takes precedence over any other considerations. Pyometra can act very quickly and in very young dogs, too. Anita will confirm this as her Milly had pyo well before her first birthday.

Karlin
17th June 2007, 07:03 PM
Adding to the above -- she will not be able to have false pregnancies once spayed -- she won't have the necessary equipment. Actually ALL heats are actually false pregnancies as the dog's body is different from the human -- it actually thinks it is pregnant, not preparing for pregnancy, and it takes several months for the pregnancy hormones (eg heat hormones) to subside. That is why vets generally wait til well after a heat to spay so the dog is back in 'neutral' so to speak.

But recurrent heats like this indicate something is going wrong with the dog's cycle. There is a very small increased risk when spaying during heat but I have done this for rescue dogs don the recommendation of vets -- once when the bitch seemed stuck in a false pregnancy and went immediately into heat again, which is more or less the situation you are also describing.

I would spay right away if the vet recommends this, for health, and comfort reasons for your dog. As Barbara notes this all could also be symptom of pyometra which is often fatal, though presumably the vet has determined this is not the case here.

If the dog is stuck in a constant heat cycle it is extremely draining for the dog (imagine having one period after another with full PMS symptoms every time :yikes). So I am sure your vet is advising with all this in mind. :)


More info on pyometra: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pyometra.html
More info on female spay:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_the_canine_spay.html

Natalie
17th June 2007, 07:22 PM
Well as soon as i noticed blood i thought about pyometra and i mentioned it to the vet and he said that it wasn't that which is a relief. I know that pyometra can be fatal is left untreated. She seems fine in her self she's eating normally and as playfull as ever still weeing and pooing normally which are all good signs. Vet took her temp which was normal and gave her some antibiotics.
Today she keeps spotting on blankets and but not as much as yesterday. The vet said that this may happen and to bring her straight in if it gets heavier and "pools" drips on the floor.

Shay
18th June 2007, 02:46 AM
This just happened to my 9 month old when she was 6 months old. She went through her first cycle and then stopped for a month and then started bleeding again. The Vet said she needed surgery to find out why she was in heat again so soon. He did her surgery 3 days later and she had a cyst on her ovary which was causing her hormones levels to be elevated causing perpetual heat. She did fine during the surgery and was back to her playful self the day after her surgery. It was hard to keep her quiet the next day.

Caraline
18th June 2007, 04:14 AM
Sounds like bringing her spaying forward is the way to go. The slight disadvantage in where she is in her season is likely far outweighed by what is going on. Keep us posted eh. :flwr:

Natalie
18th June 2007, 11:28 AM
lady's booked in at vets this morning i will keep you all posted on what they decide to do.
Shay: i read your thread it sounds similar to what lilly went through.

Natalie
18th June 2007, 01:01 PM
Just got back from vets left lady there they want to do some blood tests and then they will decide weather to spay this afternoon. The house is so empty now i start work soon so i can keep busy. Can't wait till i pick her up tonight.

Shay
18th June 2007, 03:14 PM
Natalie......Don't worry, Lady will be fine if the Vet decides she needs the surgery. Lily has sooooo much energy now, she never stops.:rolleyes: Please let us know what the Vet says today. I'll be thinking of you and Ginger. :hug:

Natalie
20th June 2007, 03:44 PM
Lady's blood test came back normal and they did an ultrasound and said that her uterus was slightly enlarged and that could be due to her being in heat last month they have given us some antibiotics and told us if the bleeding continues to next week then they will spay. But he would rather not spay when she is on heat as it more tricky. He said they don't want to operate unless its essential. She seems fine in her self very playfull but not as intressted in her kibble but will eat treats.

Caraline
20th June 2007, 03:50 PM
I am pleased to hear that Lady is well in herself & that her blood tests are fine. It is reassuring too that your vet is happy to wait a while, so he obviously feels there is no urgency here. Keep us posted, and I hope she continues to do well.

Natalie
20th June 2007, 03:59 PM
thanks i think she's loving the extra attention the vet told us to keep an eye on her over the next week i couldn't take the day off work yesterday stupid work (another story) so she went to work with jason, flirted with his collegues and got passed round the office then went to mums for the rest of the day for more pampering.

Karlin
20th June 2007, 05:22 PM
Sounds like the aftercare we'd all love post-doctor-visit! :lol:

lb0024
20th June 2007, 09:18 PM
I hope Lady is doing okay, and enjoying her extra special treatment. :luv:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does it mean "bring her spay forwards"??

-laura