• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

white chocolate?

Coco's mom

Hi everyone!
I haven't been on here in a while, but it's great to be back. Coco will be turning 1 this month! I can't believe how quickly the time went. She is doing very well- still quite the puppy. She is really enjoying the lovely summer weather, playing outside as much as she can.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if white chocolate is safe for dogs to eat. Someone gave me some treats for Coco that were dipped n white chocolate, and the packaging said it was safe for dogs because it doesn't have cocoa. I know dark chocolate is most dangerous for dogs. Anyone have more information on this?
Thanks so much! I missed you guys!

Glad to see you back! :)

White chocolate does have the chemical elements of chocolate that can contribute to dog poisoning but in much lower levels, so low as to be negligible.

See: http://www.dogownersdigest.com/news/library/chocolate-dog-poisoning.shtml

Relevant bit:

White chocolate: 200 ounces per pound of body weight. It takes 250 pounds of white chocolate to cause signs of poisoning in a 20-pound dog, 125 pounds for a 10-pound dog.
So a typical cavalier would have to find 250lbs of white chocolate to apoproach dangerous levels. Man, I'd LOVE to have that much white chocolate in the house! :lol:

I bought some chocolates for Lily at the dog store/boutique the other day. They aren't real chocolates. They are made with carob which is a sweet chocolate substitute. Looks and smells that way. I bet that is what that is if it is marked as dog safe. I bought white and regular ones and Lily ate them up!

Back