• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help - Limping and Crying!

BostonGirl

Off and on Bella has been limping on one of her back legs. Every so often, usually after running or playing, she will yelp and limp on her hind leg but then a few minutes later she will be walking or running normally and putting pressure on it. It only seems to bother her sometimes so it can't be a fracture. We called the vet and they said it sounded like a sprain and that we should keep an eye on her but no need to rush her in. Has anyone else had a similar experience. Should we just give it a few days and hope it heals itself? I am getting worried about it but I dont want to waste a couple hundred dollars for a vet visit for nothing. Is there anything we can do at home to "treat" it or make her feel better? Should she have a splint for a strain? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

It won't cost that much for a check up at the vets and if something needs to be done then there's no avoiding the bill anyway. I'd just go to the vet. It's only £13 for a consultation at my vets.

Unfortunately its $140 for a visit of this type at my vets :-( plus x-rays which I'm sure they will want to do which is why I'm trying to avoid bringing her in if its just a bruise or small sprain.

Gosh that seems like such alot of money just for a consultation. Over here most vet are about £10 -£20 like Pauline just said.
Maybe there may be a cheaper one near you that you could try?? I would definately want her to be seen if she was mine as the crying would really concern me, they have a high pain threshold so she is clearly trying to say that somethings not quite right.
Let us know how you get on

I am not an expert but I would run to see the vet.

Many small breed dogs suffer from Patella Luxation so you probably want to have that checked when you see the vet.

Last edited:
Sprain

I would suggest that before you take her to the vet check her paws and the pads of her feet. Maybe something is caught in her pads, or she could have a cut or scrape. Also, check to make sure her nails aren't to long.
If she is not better within 24 to 48 hours I would take her to the vet.

Have to agree I'm afraid, get it checked out!! I had one like that and she turned out to have a luxating patella, better safe than sorry I'd say!!

Let us know how Bella goes on??

Limping

I know it is hard to determine when and if to bring your dog to the vet. But with this breed they are very prone to luxating Patella. Doodles was find one day and the next she would limp off and on and be in pain. We wait ed a couple days and then we brought her in. She needed Luxating Patella Surgery. The vet said I was lucky I brought her in if you go to long with this type of injury they are prone to tear their acl. The luxating Patella surgery is around 1500.00$ and acl surgery is 3000.00 or more.
I also would look into a exam somewhere else. I have never heard of a vet charging that much for a exam and I have worked at three vet hospitals. Ours charges 60.00 for a exam!
Nichole

I also would look into a exam somewhere else. I have never heard of a vet charging that much for a exam and I have worked at three vet hospitals. Ours charges 60.00 for a exam!
Nichole

I agree... I live near you (Peabody, MA) and I don't remember the exact amount of a visit to my vet, but it's definitely not that much. :eek: (I think it's more like $50.)

Sounds likely to be patellar luxation to me, if it has been going on for a while. If this is only very recent, then maybe it could be a sprain. There's nothing you can do about a sprain but either way, don't let your dog jump on and off things and no long walks. til you get it checked/things improve

I'd change vets first off -- that's way too expensive for a basic exam. A good vet should be able to tell in seconds if that patella is luxating. Also the vet will be able to tell you the grade and if surgery is advised -- sometimes lower grades (1 and 2) will improve by the time the dog is around one. But they can also worsen.

Sounds like a luxating patella (been there, done that). A vet can determine a luxating patella by manual manipulation.

I did a lot of research on luxating patella's last night and it does sound like what she might have :( We have a vet appointment at 3:30 today - a different vet that only charges $60 for an exam :). I am praying that is just a spain but I'm not very optimistic. I'll let you guys know the diagnosis - my poor baby :(

If it is a luxating patella-- any good vet should be able to tell. I will be hoping that it is just a soft tissue injury. Good news is-- if it is a patella, they usually have a good chance of getting it fixed through surgery.

Back