• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is my mom's dog a cavalier? (pics)

Gahran

My mother is in the hospital (details spared) and I'm taking care of her dog. I always assumed he's a mutt but then I saw a picture of a black and tan KC Spaniel on MSN and it got me curious.

quinton1.jpg

quinton2.jpg

I think he's bigger than a regular cavalier based on what I've read, and his nose is definately longer. Is he a mix that anyone here is familiar with? Guesses? I'm pretty much clueless.
Thanks for looking!

Welcome to the board! :)

Looks like a mix to me -- some spaniel *definitely*, maybe either cavalier or cocker? Perhaps crossed with a collie or similar? Definitely looks like there's either half cavalier or cocker in there, I would think! The ears are very cavalier. :)

I had a cocker spaniel before my cavalier - she didn't have a docked tail.

I'd have to agree that he looks like a mixed breed with some kind of spaniel in him, possibly some CKCS but it's difficult to tell.

I don't think this dog is a cocker -- but a cross with either cocker or cavalier.

In the UK now all non-working cockers *will have tails* again -- as docking is now illegal unless there's a specific reason for doing so (but many working cockers do fine with their tails).

Undocked cockers have tails very like cavaliers! :)

You can see some lovely pics of undocked cockers here:

http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/cocker4.htm

quick replies. thanks!
i've always rejected the cocker spaniel idea on account of his nose (seems too pointed) and the coloring, which now that I've seen pictures of a black and tan cavalier I believe to be a perfect match.

I guess I should have named him.
Quinton.
He seems to need a lot of attention, more than I'm used to giving. I'm typically more of a cat person to be honest.
Except for the times when the cats are playing with him, he's always at my feet or by my side. He gets extremely worked up when I return home from going anywhere, barking and running around. He barks at everyone until he's met them once or twice. After that he gives them the same excited greeting that everyone else gets. He gets whimpery, almost like he's nervous.
He's very affectionate and obedient. Almost always does what he's told.
He doesn't have very many doggy friends. The only one that I've ever known him to tolerate was a neighbors female Cocker. Used to fight me and my brothers when he was a 'teenage' dog, like he was trying to be the 'big dog' in the pack.

I was concerned when I read the common Cavalier health problems, but he's now at least 11 years old and with apparently no signs of poor health. Might have cataracts in his eyes, they look a little whitish.

Sorry, I'm trying to talk about his personality in hopes that it might ring a different bell.

You really think Collie Karlin?

I don't think this dog is a cocker -- but a cross with either cocker or cavalier.

In the UK now all non-working cockers *will have tails* again -- as docking is now illegal unless there's a specific reason for doing so (but many working cockers do fine with their tails).

Undocked cockers have tails very like cavaliers! :)

You can see some lovely pics of undocked cockers here:

http://www.anti-dockingalliance.co.uk/cocker4.htm

Thank you. I was aware of the ban, I just hadn't seen it implimented.

I agree totally about there being Collie in the mix. That's a Collie nose if ever I saw one!

Thank you. I was aware of the ban, I just hadn't seen it implimented.

The ban only came into force on March 28th in Wales, April 6th in England and April 30th in Scotland, so will only just be showing in young puppies. Unlike other areas, Scotland is not allowing 'certain working breeds' to be exceptions, agreeing only to docking for medical reasons.

How about Collie cross Afghan , as this would hgive flowing coat and ears with the black and tan markings. Springers would produce a particolour (ie some white) and Black and tan is quite rare in cockers.

Hi!

I agree with a Cavalier cross collie! He sure is a lovely looking dog whatever the mix!! Nice to meet you Quinton!!

When I started showing many years back there was the most beautiful Black and Tan Cocker being shown round the Open shows, many years on an equally beautiful Tri-Coloured cocker occassionally shows up outside my daughters school, Guess what? Same owner!! Turns out the Tri is the Gt.Gt.Gt Grandson of the Black and Tan!! Small World eh??

i think collie afghan would be too big to be quinton. They're both bigger dogs than he is. My fiancee pointed out that my picture makes him look bigger than he really is.

The collie idea is very interesting. You've all been a great help to me! Thank you!

If he's small, I'd say long coated dachshund. That was my impression from the first photo anyway.

yes i thought that too..he looks very much like a long-coated dachshund in the 1st pic....the 2nd pic totally ruled that idea outta my head though ;)

nice find and another interesting possibility. the jowls look to be bigger than what he has, and it's definately a bigger dog.

i really appreciate all the ideas. I never would've known where to look for these breeds on my own.

Ok so here is my shot. My guess is that at least one of his parents is also a cross-breed. Maybe Cavalier or Cocker x cross breed. There that's a bit of a cop out isn't it, but I just see more in him than 2 different breeds. He is a pretty boy though.

Last edited:
Back