• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Caring for a dog with myositis

cavi lover

Does anyone have experience of caring for a dog with myositis? It is an auto immune disease which affect the muscles around the jaw causing muscle wastage and difficulty eating.

Thanks

Hi Cav Lover:

Yes!! My Sasha who I just laid to rest last week, was diagnosed with myositis in December of last year. she was diagnosed at K-State Vet Hospital in Kansas.

Her treatment was obviously steriods - i did lots of research on the topic as well. Her prednisone treatment went till April - she started a chronic cough at that time and we had to d/c the treatment.

I was not completely convinced Sasha had myositis; however, as she had laryngeal prolapse at age 3 1/2 and had one side of her throat permanently sutured back. I wondered if the limited range of motion (rom) was possibly due to scar tissue of the throat/jaw area vs. myositis.

If you would like to PM me I would be glad to talk to you about it further.

Sheri

I am sorry to hear that your poor dog is suffering in this way. I have not had any experience, nor do I have any sage advice, but I am sure some on the forum will be able to offer some words.

Thankfully I do not have a cavi with this condition but have been asked to rehome one that has!He is a beautiful ruby boy.
I am in the process of gathering as much infomation as I can about myositis in order to make an informed decision as to whether I can meet all his needs.

Hi Cav Lover:

Have you brought your little guy home yet? I was wondering if you had any other questions regarding the treatment, etc. for myositis?

It definitely is a rare disorder, but can be treated with steriods. Unfortunately, they have side effects as well - the constant hunger issue was the one that drove me the craziest!! My poor Sasha was always looking for food everywhere we went and i felt so bad for her. She also had very buggy eyes as well due to the steriods.

Good Luck to you - please PM me anytime you have any questions. I'd love to be any support you might need.

Sheri

Back