PDA

View Full Version : Dentafun Stick

casshon
22nd June 2007, 08:26 AM
Has anyone ever given these to their dogs? I just bought some for my 2 and they really like them but they are huge (about 12 inches long) - are they OK to give?

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_treats_chews/dental_care/14224

Cathryn
22nd June 2007, 11:35 AM
Look OK to me, if you think they are too long you could always saw/cut them in half?? Karlin did that a while ago with some long treats she bought from Zooplus! They sound good, let us know how well they work??

casshon
22nd June 2007, 02:31 PM
The girls love them! It kept them entertained for hours last night. I took them away last night and wrapped them up in plastic as I want it to be a treat for them. I got the mint ones which is supposed to give them nice fresh breath - I don't know about that but I do know that the sticks smell quite badly :grnyuk:

Even though they are big they are quite light. Molly even managed to get hers all the way upstairs and up on to my bed. It was very quickly brought back down stairs cause it stinks!

Barbara Nixon
22nd June 2007, 02:46 PM
I gave my springers large hide chews, which we joked were actual cows' legs, for years and then started giving smaller ones to Monty. Most of the time he was fine, but would occasionally swallow a large soggy piece which would cause him to gag and retch for ages. After others expressed their concerns about known cases of choking, my lot only get them under strict supervision, now, and any soggy bits, large enough to chew off and swallow, are cut off-I've had too many near frights to risk it.

casshon
22nd June 2007, 03:13 PM
Most of the time he was fine, but would occasionally swallow a large soggy piece which would cause him to gag and retch for ages.

Molly does this too. I don't leave any chews with them while I'm not there.

Thanks for the replies, my mind is at rest now ;)

*Pauline*
23rd June 2007, 12:40 AM
I like to throw the last bit in the bin so they don't choke. The longer it is, the less often you have to try to get it off them!