• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toilet training

freesia

How do I get Barney to wee when we are outside for a walk? He never wees or poops, just seems to save it for home. That is not a problem yet but it may be when we go out for a day. He used to be good at weeing on command in our backyard but since the wet weather we seem to be getting nowhere. he just wants to be in. Bear in mind though that he is only four months old.

Every time Harvey weed on the floor we said no firmly took him outside for a walk and the perseverence paid off (we live in a small apartment and had to go out through 5 doors to the street - so it was a nightmare with no garden).
But he hasn't had an accident (fingers crossed) since he was 4 months. But we still have to take him every 2 hours outside especially when he wakes up as he always needs a pee to ensure there are no accidents.
If it is raining Harvey will only go under a tree or some sheltered dry area so that he can sniff around before he wees and poos so maybe Barney will go if you can find a dry area for him? It was between 4 - 5 months that we have seen most changes in Harvey's behaviour so I am sure it will get better soon for Barney :)

He is still very young, but the two things that work is first to have him wee on command. This means that every time you see your puppy wee outside you say something like "good wee" and reward him. Some dogs don't like weeing & pooping on a lead, so a retractor-lead is very useful as it gives the dog a sense of privacy & having moved away from you to do his business.

Chester used to be the same.

As we started taking him on longer walks, he started to go more on his walks. Then once he started cocking his leg we couldnt stop him..... and still cant!

Last edited:
Thanks, he is on a retractor lead, gives him the chance to run around, noticed today that he was sniffing a lot more and he enjoyed his walks better and I thought he was going to do something but he didn't. We did have him weeing on command but when the rains started he just wouldn't even though we stayed outside with him. Little tinker.:D

How do I get Barney to wee when we are outside for a walk? He never wees or poops, just seems to save it for home. That is not a problem yet but it may be when we go out for a day. He used to be good at weeing on command in our backyard but since the wet weather we seem to be getting nowhere. he just wants to be in. Bear in mind though that he is only four months old.

don't worry, my puppy did that at that age! We would walk around the block, get home, then he would run into the back garden and do it there. Sometimes even the kitchen if he couldn't get into the garden soon enough!! He probably didn't realise he was allowed to go to toilet other than there!!

He stopped doing it between 16-20 weeks. Don't worry!

We went though the toilet training before Christmas and it was hard work in the bad (and dark!) weather. My 10 mth old doesnt want to go outside to do his business in this bad weather. I've no idea how he keeps it in!!

Back