• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Calling all "gay" tails!

GudrunTheRed

Whenever you read about breed standards it usually says something like "tail should be set so as to be carried level with the back" and that if it comes too far up above the topline it's called a "gay" tail (gay being used in the old-fashioned way meaning happy and joyful).

Chester definitely has a gay tail at least 50% of the time and even if it's not the preferred show carriage, I think it's adorable and he look so happy with it curled up over his back. Here's how he carries his tail most of the time when he's walking around and interacting with someone or something or some chipmunk in the backyard...

Do your furbabies carry their tails the same way or is Chester a little kook?

Baroo?!
41763404_37a03bab26.jpg

Quit bugging me kid...
120306810_0561253ec0.jpg

PUPPY BUTT!
45608829_1565cf7cc3.jpg

I think he thinks he's a Papillon like his buddy Riley:
68686535_ed3e7b2c88.jpg

Jaspar has a gay tail and Leo much of the time. Only that stinkbutt Lily doesn't. Mom's cavalier Lucy has beauiful tail carriage, right out level with her back when she walks. :)

:lol: My lad Logan is a retired show dog, Crufts qualified for life, and an occassional stud dog, in the ring his tail is dead level, in fact he never "flew" his tail once when being shown, but in the garden with the others?? Wahey!! Looks like a teapot handle :rolleyes: The times I say to him, "Get that tail down, who DO you think you are?" :rotfl: it's a boy thing!!

When I got my papillon her tail was always down , I thought she was faulty until the people over the road said it was because she was unhappy ( she was a rescue ) & it would go up once she settled. & they were right she now has a proper papillon tail :D

I have to be honest i've not noticed what our cavs tail does when she goes out.

That's a sweet story about your rescue papillon; how lovely that it went up!

Sonny erects his gay tail when he is being very boy-fied. He flies it when he is sniffing the ground & marking, when he is telling the cows next door that they are too close to the fence line, when he is checking Scarlett out in the hopes that she is not too old for it which she most definately is. I haven't seen Beau erect a gay tail yet but maybe he is still a little young.

My old cav had a gay tail... in fact it was the gayest tail i've ever seen heehee!!! I remember being around 10 years old and ready a book on cavaliers when I read the part about the "gay" tail, looked at the photo and burst out laughing as yes my dog did have a gay tail ;)

Geordie has a gay tail when he wants to, and when he flies it up it has a bend in it so it looks much like a papillon's or shih tzu's. :)

I just looked through all my photobucket and flickr photos for a good example of it but couldn't find one. His tail goes up when he's feeling like a macho man!

Oh my Riley totally has a gay tail! I didn't really know about what to call it, but now i do. :D His tail flies high anytime he is excited, so i see it a lot. What an adorable picture of Chester, he is such a handsome boy!

We get all tales up sometimes, even from bottom of the pack Monty. This is usually when they go out into the 'garden' and shows thier cofidence that it's their territory. They also do it when out lead walking together; a 'we are a gang' thing.

Back