• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

To thin

Yvonne117

Alfie is a year old this week. Do you think he will ever fill out he seems so skinny. He now eats really well after a bad start but still seems to look like I starve him.

637910143_c43178f42e.jpg

637910157_0b50fbcc90.jpg

637910163_b131eee2bb.jpg

637807585_317218f9c8.jpg

He now weights 6.1 kilos. He now eats twice daily without any bother. He was castrated at 8 months and I have read on here they sometimes fill out after this but he hasnt. He is extremely energetic so I wonder if he uses up all his food intake. Have not had this problem with Harvey we are always watching his weight as he is the opposite. Should I just stop worrying.

Yes, stop worrying it can take anything up to 2 even 3 years for a Cavalier to really fill out and mature, why not take a look at Pauline's thread about putting weight on Dylan, there is the recipe for Satin Balls on there which are great at putting weight on a dog if you are really worried. Personnally I prefer them a little on the slim side, better for their hearts!!

Yeah I reckon you should stop worrying. A lean dog is far more healthy than a pudgy one. If he is eating well and has no health issues then he is probably just like some very lucky humans that remain slim & wiry. :flwr:

Hello Yvonne, I have Bertie who is now 9 months and he weighs 11lbs, he apears to be thin but is very active, so I wouldnt worry.I also have Oliver who is almost 7 years and he is around 27lbs, he is currently on a vet diet.

thanks for your replies, I always feel better being able to ask questions on this board. Am going to take all your advise and stop worrying.

He looks good to me, my boy is prob a bit thinner. I'm sure he is doing quite well on his food to have such a glossy coat especially his ears, they look wonderful.:D

He was on prescription food from the vet for months, now we are really pleased he is on JWB mixed with a little tuna or chicken, I also give him a teaspoon of peridale granules which helps a great deal with his anal glands. We thought his coat may go fluffly as we had him castrated so young but it hasnt changed. He is much silkier than Harvey.

I wouldn't worry Yvonne, Scout is almost 15 months old and is just starting to fill out. My Mom kept telling me everyday that I wasn't feeding her enough. Seems like Cavaliers are very thin as puppies. She had 1/2 cup of dry in the am and 1/2 cup of dry in the pm.

When she rolls over on her back you can still clearly feel where her rib cage starts. Your baby will fill out in time.

He looks fine to me!! My 9 mth old looks similar. He's so dainty compared to my last one.

He's not much more than a pup. He'll 'butch' out in time.

hmmm thought my dog was the only skinny one. He is 9 months and just over 6kgs as well. I guess they'll fill out eventually.

Back