• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bertie(MRI Scan)

Joan bamborough

Bertie had his MRI scan yesterday. The vet rang me today to say he has marked Hydrocephalus and Myoclonus, he has sent scan off to be looked at further and I have to wait till 9th July before I can get results. Has anyone on the forum experienced these illnesses and if so I would dearly appreciate ANY!!! help, advise as I am devastated to say the least.Many Thanks. Joan, Oliver and BertieXXXX

I am so so sorry to hear your news, I have absolutely no advise I am sorry but thinking of you.. Try to keep busy until the 9th July, love to you and a hug for bertie... xxx

Thank you Emma n Renco for your kind words and thoughts. It all started when Bertie had cataracts removed from both eyes end of April, he is soooo much a baby, and my heart goes out to him, he is getting lots of kisses and cuddles, hope someone will be able to assure me he will be fine. once again thank you ! Joan, Oliver and Bertie(Puppy)

I'm so sorry to read your news Joan. There are people , on here, with experience. I suggest you use the forum search facility, until someone comes along.

Thanks Barbara for your message, as I am new to the forum is the Search forum where I have it listed? Thank you Joan, Oliver, Bertie(puppy)

Hello Jen, Thanks for oyur message, Bertie is 9 months, In April he lost his sight overnight, which after vet visits and to an opthalmologist he had to have cataracts removed from both eyes, it was before his surgery that he started to twitch, it seemed like a hic-cup, however I mentioned to the eye surgeon and also quite a few times to my own vet, on one visit I saw a vet nurse who was concerned and that led to Bertie been tested first for Diabetes, then for a liver shunt, the first bio acid test showed high, but after a week he had another which was fine, so then I asked for a second opinion, and went to see another vet, who does MRI scanning, Bertie is small for his age, the tremor starts at his eyes twitching and goes throughout his body, he is not eating too well, I have him on Royal Canin mini sensible with a little caesar and he is eating a bit better, but only if hand fed(which I am pleased to do) he doesnt mind a collar on, but will not have a lead attatched and will not walk on a lead, so I have bought a puppia but still not too good. In himself he is lively and plays with my other cav an 7 yrs tri boy called Oliver, also my 3 cats. Hope I have some luck on the forum. regards Joan, Oliver and Bertie(puppy)

I'm sorry to hear of your results. The twitch you mention I went and read a bit about, it does sound like it could be related to the hydrocephalus as it often is a symptom of some neurological condition.

Sometimes hydrocephalus is seen on its own but it is also sometimes seen with the Chiari-like malformation (CM), the skull malformation nearly all cavaliers seem to have that can lead to syringomyelia but also to hydrocephalus on its own, and it is seen as well with syringomyelia. Maxx's Mummy on this board has a dog with hydrocephalus and posted about it in the SM forum I believe. By 'Search' Barbara means to use the search link in the middle of the top orange bar -- you can enter hydrocephalus and get all the threads where it has been mentioned.

You will likely be referred now to a neurologist unless your vet will obtain the analysis from a neurologist.

Hydrocephalus can have all sorts of affects on a dog, from none to mild to serious. You can read more here:

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/nervous system disorders/hydrocephalus.htm

I am not sure whether some of the SM medications might help but I would think they might well bring some relief. Many of us with SM or CM/SM dogs use frusemide (Lasix) or cimetidine to lower the pressure of the fluid in the brain and spine -- that's the fluid that is also gathering in the skull and causing the hydrocephalus (which basically means water on the brain). Gabapentin can help with neurological pain. I am not sure if the decompression surgery that is sometimes done for CM/SM helps with hydrocephalus but I'd want to look into that option as well.

Let us know what further information you hear back. depending on where you are based some of us could suggest good people on CM/SM/hydrocephalus if you eventually want to get a second opinion.

Joan I'm so sorry o hear of Bertie's MRI results. Not to be too Pollyanna, but at least now you know exactly what's wrong with him. Now you can begin to give him the treatment he needs to live his life to the fullest possible.

I'm sure there will be many more people online here who can talk knowledeably to you about his condition. You and Bertie are in my thought. Please keep us posted on how he's doing. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Back