PDA

View Full Version : Scarlett: 14 January 1996 - 28 June 2007

Caraline
28th June 2007, 03:48 AM
We put Scarlett to sleep this morning after her 7 month long battle with seizures, loss of co-ordination, muscle strength & cognition. This morning there was no questioning that the time had come. We got the vet to come to our home & and she went her way as we cuddled her infront of the fire. She went gently as it should be and having just had the feast of her lifetime.

We buried her in a watery grave & under torrential rain, as it has been here for weeks now. I had visions of sweetly laying some dog biscuits at her nose for her to take on her journey, but like some warped black comedy they floated off down the yard & I had to go retrieve them & anchor them down with clods of mud. The gods seemed to have deemed that it would be no pretty burial so after this rain lets up and our land stops being a river, we will have to go and make sure that she is still respectfully buried.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/fiorfein/photography/Scarlett060126003.jpg

deb_d
28th June 2007, 04:08 AM
So sorry to read of your loss of Scralett. It's so difficult to let them go but she will meet you at the Rainbow Bridge, running free, without pain.

I know that you will miss her terribly but she is at peace now.

My wishes that you may be at peace also. It's suich a difficult decision to make, one I have made before.

My heartfelt sympathies are with you.

Cathy Moon
28th June 2007, 04:10 AM
I'm so sorry for you loss of your beloved Scarlett.:( She was surrounded by your love as she fell asleep; there is no better way to leave this world. You and your family will be in our thoughts. :hug:

vikki
28th June 2007, 04:15 AM
you are in my thoughts, warmest aloha to you and your family vikki

danalynn
28th June 2007, 04:46 AM
Oh Caroline, that brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad that you were able to let her go the way you did. Warm thoughts to you and your family at this difficult time.

BostonGirl
28th June 2007, 04:50 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones tonight. Always remember what a wonderful life she was lucky to lead while she was on this earth.

Donna27
28th June 2007, 05:05 AM
Oh Caraline I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :( I'm sure Scarlett is running free at the bridge, chasing birds an dliving the dog life...My thoughts are with you and your other pups.

debjen
28th June 2007, 06:59 AM
Rest well Scarlett...thinking of your family at this time

matties mum
28th June 2007, 07:52 AM
I am so sorry at your loss

May I Go
Do you think the time is right?
May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless lonely nights?
I've lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be.
So can I take that step beyond, and set my spirit free?
I didn't want to go at first, I fought with all my might.
But something seems to draw me now to a warm and living light.
I want to go, I really do; it's difficult to stay.
But I will try as best I can to live just one more day.
To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears.
I know you're sad and afraid, because I see your tears.
I'll not be far, I promise that, and hope you'll always know,
That my spirit will be close to you wherever you may go.
Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too,
And that's why it's hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.
So hold me now just one more time and let me hear you say,
Because you care so much for me, you'll let me go today.

by Susan A. Jackson

----Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Caraline
28th June 2007, 08:06 AM
Thank you everyone for your words of comfort. Aileen, that is a beautiful poem. Thank you!

Emma n Renco
28th June 2007, 08:12 AM
We are so so sorry about the loss of one of your best friends. Our thoughts are with you....

casshon
28th June 2007, 08:30 AM
I'm so sorry Caroline. It seems like Scarlett fought bravely for a long time and is surely at rest at now.

:flwr: :hug:

Sue.k
28th June 2007, 08:44 AM
I am so sorry Caraline, my thoughts are with you and yours :(

*Pauline*
28th June 2007, 09:08 AM
I'm so sorry Caraline. It sounds like you made a very peaceful goodbye. I'll be thinking of you, keep praying. xx :hug:

Kelly
28th June 2007, 10:01 AM
So sorry to hear of your loss. I have been following your posts & know what a really hard decision that must have been to make but what a wonderful, peaceful way to let her go.

Thinking of you.

Mary
28th June 2007, 10:23 AM
My condolences to you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

brid kenny
28th June 2007, 10:53 AM
So sorry for your loss. Remember the good times and the great life you gave your dog. Thinking of you.

sallymum
28th June 2007, 11:02 AM
So sorry for ur loss. My thoughts are with u

Cathryn
28th June 2007, 11:30 AM
I am so very sorry to hear of Scarletts passing, at least you were able to let her go with some dignity and surrounded by those who loved her the most :lotsaluv: :hug: :hug:Good Night Dear Scarlett and God Bless :lotsaluv:

Cleo's Person
28th June 2007, 12:56 PM
Caraline I so sorry Scarlett has passed away. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.

Sydney
28th June 2007, 01:23 PM
Caraline,

Ruby and I want to tell you how sorry we are for your loss. :( It's never easy to let one of us cross over the bridge, but you did the right thing. We hope that one day when our time may come that we too go to the Rainbow Bridge at home in the arms of our Mom and Dad. During this most trying time, think of Scarlett and all the times she brought a smile to your face and made you and your family laugh. We wish you comfort and peace and are sending you a big Cavalier hug.

Sydney and Ruby in Virginia :paw:

Lynn
28th June 2007, 01:51 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart truly aches for you in this most difficult time. Sending hugs and warm wishes that you will be comforted by all the wonderful memories you have of your precious Scarlett.

Karlin
28th June 2007, 02:45 PM
I'm so sorry, Caraline. It was clear you knew it was a matter of probably a small amount of time and it is such a difficult decision. :flwr:

I'm sorry too it was such a difficult day to give her a burial, but I must admit to thinking with Scarlett's playful boxer personality, wouldn't she have just loved to see you running after her farewell biscuits floating about? Maybe her little way of saying from far away, "Thanks for giving me my rest and caring so much but when your heart feels a little better, don't forget to keep a smile and a laugh at the ready -- it's a great way to remember me."

jld
28th June 2007, 02:58 PM
Ok, now I am crying so much I can barely type. I am so sorry, but eventually it is a decision many of us have to make. Although it is a most difficult and painful choice. But, their quality of life finally helps us make that choice. I know the next few days (weeks, months) will be difficult. I will be thinking of you. Judy

Nicki
28th June 2007, 03:25 PM
Oh Caraline I'm so sorry that you have had to give Scarlett her wings. Bless her she was so brave and battled courageously against her difficulties.

Thank you for being brave and giving her a dignified passing.

We are thinking of you and sending our love - you know that in time this dreadful raw pain will ease, and you will just be left with sadness but also many memories of happy years together.

Scarlett was very special - thank you for sharing her with us.

niamhx
28th June 2007, 03:38 PM
Caraline you are a very special owner who owned a very beautiful dog you will meet again :)

:hug:

Cathy T
28th June 2007, 03:42 PM
Caraline - so sorry to read about Scarlett. What a long and lovely life she had surrounded by your love. What a beautiful way to send her off...in the comfort of her home. Rest in peace Scarlett....no more worries.

Shay
28th June 2007, 04:07 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Scarlett. I know you will mis her terribly. She is now pain free and running at the bridge. My thoughts are with you. *ng*l

Jen
28th June 2007, 04:41 PM
My heart goes out to you, Caraline.

Rest well Scarlett, run free.:paw:

Barbara Nixon
28th June 2007, 05:49 PM
I'm so sorry, Caraline, but you were able to give Scarlett a very precious gift, which we aren't able to offer ur fellow humans; freedom from suffering.

Furry_Monster
28th June 2007, 08:00 PM
Really sorry to hear of you loss. :(
It's hard when you loose a pet, but from your pictures she looks like had had a fantastic time with you and i'm sure you couldn't have wished for anything more.
R.I.P Scarlett

Joan bamborough
28th June 2007, 09:16 PM
You are in my thoughts and prayers tonight, Scarlett is now in Doggy Heaven, take care and godbless. Joan, Oliver and Bertie(puppy)

Rj Mac
28th June 2007, 09:16 PM
We are so sorry for your loss Caraline, our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time :hug:

Lindsay
29th June 2007, 12:04 AM
So sorry to hear this Caraline. It is comforting to know that Scarlett could not have asked for a better mom. Please take care :hug: :hug: :hug:

Holly
29th June 2007, 12:07 AM
Im so sorry to hear of your loss, Caraline. I can only imagine how difficult it is. Oliver and I are thinking of you.

duncans_ma
29th June 2007, 01:14 AM
So sorry for your loss...our thoughts are with you as you grieve.

Azriel
29th June 2007, 01:15 AM
caraline, we are so sorry for your loss of scarlett. i am sure she had a wonderful life and is now waitign patiently at the rainbow bridge, bragging about how she had the best mom in the world. our thoughts are with you.:hug::hug:

Caraline
29th June 2007, 02:30 AM
Thank you so much everyone. You have all been such a comfort to me.

The sun is shining today and I realise that though I still feel terribly sad, there is a tension & a heaviness that has been lifted. Last night was probably the first night in 7 months that I slept soundly & didn't keep starting awake at the slightest noise, thinking that Scarlett was fitting.

I've been down to check on her little grave, and thankfully the heavy rain hasn't washed it away. When it is a bit drier down there I am going to plant a beautiful tree over her, so that as the years pass by I will know that a little bit of Scarlett is in the tree.

Oh, and Karlin, you are so right about the farewell biscuits. She was always one for a prank, so I wouldn't put in past her to have run off with those biscuits as one last game of chase.

Sandrac
29th June 2007, 12:50 PM
My thoughts are with you all at this sad time. Hang on to all the good memories and times you had with Scarlett, she will live forever in your hearts and will never be forgotten.

KimNIndy
29th June 2007, 04:12 PM
caraline, i'm so sorry to hear about scarlett and i will be thinking of you and your family. planting a tree is a wonderful idea and it will give you and your family a place that will always bring happy memories of scarlett.

run free at the bridge scarlett

k

nursejess80
30th June 2007, 03:26 AM
Oh, Caraline, I'm SO sorry about Scarlett. I know this must be so difficult for you and your family. Please know that I'm thinking of you!!!

george108
30th June 2007, 09:20 AM
Caraline, so sorry to read about Scarlett. She looks like such a beautiful girl.

Yaron
30th June 2007, 10:47 AM
Caraline,

Very sorry over your lose. Scarlett had been a part of such a nice loving family for her. She was lucky to have this home and no one could ask for anything better.