• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Experiances -cavaliers that have been shaved

Super Princess

ollie was accidently shaved by the groomer months ago..and his hair is taking forevr to come back

has anyone lived through (ahhah) this? How long dose it take? WILL it grow back?
I miss his beautiful long hair.

ha ha ha Harry had this exact same experience about a month ago!!!
it's slowly growing back and now has about 1mm of feathering on his ears!
at the moment i'm trying to see the positive side of things, like no dog hair everywhere lol

I used to clip my old cav reguarly he got too hot during summer. For his coat to grow back fully it took around 4months

I hope a lot of people read this thread because I have just had an experience with trying to curtail stickers in my dog's feet, that for me has been great.

I took Toby in to have his "pads" clipped, I did not want to have his slippers clipped, but the groomer said, "Set your ego aside and think of what is best for your dog."

So, I let her shave his slippers and up a bit on the front legs, like about 2 inches and she clipped up past the "knee" joint on the back legs.

His little feet look so cute, I can't believe it. He has freckles on his nose and on his toes. Sticker problem nearly eliminated.

Now, my 8 year old who I have only had for a week is due to go for grooming. He is very healthy, has been thouroughly vet checked, but he scratches at his ears a lot and despite DAILY BRUSHING, is matted every day on many parts of his body. Especially his ears. So I am thinking of having his ears trimmed, along with his slippers and a lot of his leg and tummy hair.

We don't plan to be in any shows, ever, so I think making the old guy comfortable, and not having to be groomed 3 times a day is a good thing.

I would just like to say to annyone who has a sticker problem, I would not hesitate to shave the slippers. Their little feet are cuter than you can imagine.

It really depends on the dog. I clip Honey myself because of her age (she is nearly 13). Her two back legs are quite bad and she ends up getting herself a bit smelly when she pees as she can't bend down properly. Her hair grows back extremely quickly, in 4-5 weeks she's woolly again :) .

I shave Bono regulary, he feels so much better without all that fur, both in the winters when the snow gets stuck under his feet and stomack and in the summers when he drags along half a forrest in his tail.

It takes the hair a month or two to grow back, but it's ofcourse different between dogs and how much fur was shaved of.

Sam was accidently shaved about 2 months ago, brought him to the groomers to get him tidyed up thought i had explained myself but mustnt have he ended up completly shaved. He actually looked ok and also it helped his itching problem.
The thing is his coat is growing back all uneven and fluffy so i dont know wherever to let it grow back or get it shaved again. I know use another groomers for Sally and Toby.

When I took Crystal to the stud dog, his owners run a boarding kennel and grooming salon and every single one of their dogs except the show dogs were clipped off, they had left the length on their ears and hadn't taken them down to the skin and I have to admit they looked really cool, it was hot that day!! I am now thining about clipping my lot off, the oldies, retired girls, breeding girls etc, at the end of the day it makes grooming much easier and they stay cooler in the summer heat (What summer? :lol: ) you can always let it grow back through the autumn for winter!

I always take my cavies to the beauty parlor for what I call a "summer cut" they get it around the 1st of June and it keeps them cool for the summer and by fall they have both grown all of their feathers back.
It really does help in the hot summer months and it all does grow back quite nicely.

Technicality... I'd like to make the observation that dogs don't get 'accidentally' shaved. Somebody did it on purpose. Maybe they misunderstood the instructions...but having shaved Cockers myself, it's not something you do unless you mean it. ;)

KC

well ollies really was an accident.
hes been going to the same groomer for years..and i think (my mom took him in ) she asked her to shave his ears because they were a bit matted, and her mind wonderd a bit..the next thign she knew she was three strokes into shaving him completly..she called my mom near tears and explaned.

of course we werent' upset..shook it off.
tehehe when she caleld she was all "he looks like a potatoe!!!"
ahhahaha

yeah..itw as a few months ago..so im guessing it will be a few more months.

its coming back but not fluffly like..its it looks to em stringy..but im sure it will be fine.

glad others have had experiance like this.
people we meet say he looks like a bermese mountan dog puppy..:)

What about ears

I am now determined to get my 8 year old cav trimmed up a lot, but I am curious about his ears. The fur on his ears is so long, it is constantly full of stickers. His ears are AT LEAST as long as the longest cocker spaniel ears I've ever seen. They nearly drag the ground.

I am thinking of trimming his ears. Does anyone else do that? As I mentioned before, even with grooming at least twice a day, his ears get matted, as well as stickered.

I got Prince done a few weeks ago and she shaved him, she trimmed his ears right around the skin and I have to say it looks good, it gives him a puppy look again. I dont like letting his ears grow too long, I really dont think it looks nice, it makes him look untidy, I am looking forward to them growing a bit but not very long.

Our Charley was clipped twice a year, in his later years.

He had seborrhea and clipping him made it much easier to care for his skin.

Before the skin probs, we had had him clipped in the summertime and he looked very cute.

Our groomer would "do" his tail like a Portugese Water Dog....not sure why, but it helped keep a bit of the Cavalier look without his tail being full of burrs.

We haven't clipped Mary Alice, yet, but might just do it to keep her comfortable during the rest of the summer.

Their coats do come in again.....takes awhile but at least your dog is comfy during the heat waves.:)

I like to keep Holly in short clip, simply because her coat is so profuse- and it makes such a difference for hoovering as well! Amber doesn't need it so badly except that her coat gets into lots of tiny knots so easily... a number brush out, but some don't... she doesn't matt, she knots! It'll be interesting to see how Amber's coat ends up. She's not quite a year old yet so... Lovely to see the rich ruby colour coming through now.

Back