PDA

View Full Version : Sonny is sick

Caraline
3rd July 2007, 03:14 AM
I woke up to the sound of Sonny gagging & vomiting and it was quite clear he was not himself. Poor little man jumped up on my bed & did the biggest vomit I could image a little dog could do. I thought his gums looked pale too. Somehow I just knew this was not just a little dog having a chuck, something was wrong. So we dashed around to the vet with him. The vet thinks he may have had a paralysis tick on him. They kill many hundreds of dogs along the east coast of Australia every year. We Frontline him every fortnight, which I know horrifies many people in the Northern Hemisphere, but it is what we have to do here in Australia. Our paralysis tick is present all year round. The vet could not find a tick on him but has kept him there under observation, and for continued searches & possible antivenom it he deteriorates. It is possible the Frontline killed the tick & it has dropped off, but unfortunately with the Aus Paralysis Tick, this does not guarantee that the dog will get better unaided.

We will drop in to the vets on the way home from work today, in the hopes that he is ok to come home.

This is the first day that Sam (the Boxer) and Beau will be on their own... in their entire lives. Poor Sam no longer has Scarlett & Beau is without Sonny. Because of the size difference, I am not game to leave Beau & Sam alone in the same area. They adore each other and Sam would never intentionally hurt Beau (or anything for that matter), but the size discrepancy just worries me.

Thank you for listening.

:(

Holly
3rd July 2007, 03:20 AM
When it rains, it pours... Hopefully Sonny will soon be feeling better and brighter days are around the corner. I'm sorry you are going through such a hard time. Oliver and I are thinking of you! :)

Mary
3rd July 2007, 03:45 AM
Hoping for Sonny to feel better soon.

jld
3rd July 2007, 04:28 AM
Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for Sonny. I am so sorry all this is going on. Please let us know as soon as you know anything about Sonny.

danalynn
3rd July 2007, 04:36 AM
We are sending our best wishes for a speedy recovery for Sonny! We hope to hear from you soon that he is well again.

OhMarley
3rd July 2007, 05:31 AM
Get well Sonny, poor little man :(
Hope your doing ok hang in there.

debjen
3rd July 2007, 06:19 AM
I hope Sonny is okay..sending some good thoughts

moniechris
3rd July 2007, 06:47 AM
Jeez honey, I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this at once. Please keep us posted with any news you may receive. I have my fingers crossed and am sending you international good thoughts...

Sue.k
3rd July 2007, 09:49 AM
I hope he will be ok, I am thinking of you, let us know as soon as you have any word :xfngr:

coconut
3rd July 2007, 09:50 AM
i hope tha sonny makes a speedy recovery let us know how it goes!:flwr:

Nicki
3rd July 2007, 10:10 AM
OH Caraline I'm really sorry to hear this - so scary for you. I remember seeing a bit about these ticks on a television program.

You have done the right thing getting Sonny straight to the vets - they will give him the best possible treatment.

Such a horrid time for you at the moment - I'm sure Beau and Sam will understand, they will be a little disorientated but you are doing the best possible for everyone.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for darling Sonny, and big hugs for you.

matties mum
3rd July 2007, 10:38 AM
Hope he gets better soon ----Aileen and the gang(Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Cathryn
3rd July 2007, 10:52 AM
Oh Caraline!! :hug:

I am so very sorry to hear that Sonny is sick, sending super speedy Get Well wishes to him, a big Kiss and a huge, but very gentle :hug: :hug: for you all!! Hope to hear good news very soon :xfngr:

Kelly
3rd July 2007, 10:58 AM
I hope Sonny is okay. What a dreadful week for you all.

Let us know how he gets on x

niamhx
3rd July 2007, 11:30 AM
:xfngr: crossed everthing is ok and sending you a hug:hug:

Cathy Moon
3rd July 2007, 12:16 PM
:xfngr::xfngr::paw::paw::paw:Fingers and paws are crossed for little Sonny. And hugs for you :hug: Caraline. So sorry this is happening to you. I hope the vet calls with good news today!

Cathy T
3rd July 2007, 04:35 PM
How scary Caraline. Please let us know how he's doing as soon as you hear. I'll be thinking of you all day.

Denise G.
3rd July 2007, 05:49 PM
I hope Sonny is feeling better today! Hugs and hope to you and Sonny from Me, Mia and Wrigs... Please keep us posted as to his progress.

Cleo's Person
3rd July 2007, 05:52 PM
:hug: :hug: :hug: Caraline,

I so sorry that Sonny isn't well at the moment. Hope you get good news from the vet.

Jen
3rd July 2007, 10:25 PM
How is Sonny doing today?

Caraline
4th July 2007, 03:47 AM
:) He's going to be just fine. The vet let us bring him home yesterday afternoon as his condition had improved over the course of the day and after a shot of atrophone & antihistamines. He was still a sad & sorry little boy but even as the evening progressed I could see him brightening up considerably. This morning he is probably about 90% back to his old self and even managed to chase some imaginary bad creature away from the backyard.

We aren't totally sure what the problem was but the vet feels that he's probably had a paralysis tick on him that died & dropped off with the Frontilne, but that the tick was on him long enough to make him sick. We will probably never really know, but I am just so grateful that he is on the mend.

So that's it. We have had 3 bad doggy events (as Sam was very sick too a few weeks back). Hopefully that is the end to this run of canine woes.

Thank you for all your wonderful positive thoughts everyone.

xox

Cathy T
4th July 2007, 03:49 AM
Whew.....I'm so relieved Caraline!! I've been thinking about you all day and wondering how he was doing....you can now disregard my pm!! :)

Cathryn
4th July 2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Caraline!!

I am so relieved to hear this, give him a big kiss and a gentle :hug: from me won't you??

:xfngr: That this is your lot, I too am superstitous and believe that bad things come along in 3's, so that's your 3 now girl, you can relax! :D :D

Barbara Nixon
4th July 2007, 12:07 PM
I'm so glad to hear that he's ok. Some people claim that garlic alone (no proof) keeps away fleas etc, but it may be worth putting a little in the dogs' food, as well as using Frontline .

Sue.k
4th July 2007, 12:20 PM
I am so glad everything is ok now, you can relax now, like Carthryn I believe that bad things happen in 3's, you have had enough for the next 50 years x ;)

Nicki
4th July 2007, 12:27 PM
Oh thank goodness - such a dreadful time for you, what a relief that Sonny is ok. I'm sure Beau and Sam were really pleased to have him home too.

Garlic can be toxic in quantity, so be a bit careful with that...

One thing that does work, although it takes a while {the effects seem to build up}, is an Amethyst crystal in the water bowl. We have a bad tick problem here {lots of sheep and deer}, and I don't like using conventional treatments as I have two with seizures, so I try natural remedies where possible.

The crystal doesn't prevent the ticks from going on to the dog, but seems to deter them from attaching {biting}. We have very few actually attach - and can be out for 1/2 hr with 4 or 5 dogs, and remove over 50 ticks during and after the walk EEK!

They tend to come to the top of the coat, esp if you disturb the coat.

Obviously where you are you need to be using Frontline as well, but it would not do any harm to put a crystal in the water bowl and might help.

Cleo's Person
4th July 2007, 02:00 PM
Caraline,

I'm so glad to hear that Sonny is on the mend. Hopefully that's you lot now! :hug: :hug: to you all as I know this has been a stressful time for you.

Cathy Moon
4th July 2007, 02:27 PM
What a relief to know he's ok! Thank goodness!:)

Scouty girl
4th July 2007, 06:22 PM
Caraline,

I was so happy to read that Sonny is doing much, much better. I was on pins and needles reading the posts, waiting for an update from you. Whew!!! I'm sure you are relieved.

*Pauline*
4th July 2007, 06:40 PM
Glad he's on the mend, please give him a kiss from me :luv:

matties mum
4th July 2007, 11:39 PM
So pleased that he is OK---Aileen and the gang(Jazzie---Baney---Sam)