PDA

View Full Version : What is with AKC??

Bruce H
5th July 2007, 11:52 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading! Take a look at AKC's Conditional Registration http://www.akc.org/news/index.cfm?article_id=3257

Am I reading this right? If I have an unidentifiable dog, the offspring can be registered conditionally? How many people buying a puppy will know what the Q in front of the number means?

I have to believe this is going to create quite an uproar among reputable breeders. Another good reason to buy a CKCSC registered puppy where there is no such thing as Conditional Registration. Either it's purebred or it isn't.

Cathy Moon
6th July 2007, 01:32 AM
This is confusing. It says it's only for dogs believed to be purebred, and refers to dogs who are DNA tested. Bruce, do most people have DNA of their dogs on file? I noticed on the OFA website some dogs have DNA records.

Bruce H
6th July 2007, 03:42 AM
DNA testing is commonly done by reputable breeders and is required by CKCSC. Every dog we own and every puppy we sell is DNA'd. So what they are saying is if a question arises from this DNA testing, just give it a Conditional.

The whole point is that AKC is for registering purebred dogs and a dog being purchased that is AKC registered should be purebred. Technically, AKC is no longer a purebred registry because they allow conditional registration.

It's just very irritating for me and many others. My wife Kris follows a number of other breeder lists and the lists are on fire over this.

Cathy Moon
6th July 2007, 11:54 AM
Hopefully the breeders will convince AKC to back down.:xfngr:

Bruce H
6th July 2007, 12:06 PM
I know I'm over-simplifying and exagerating, but how do I now distinguish between the AKC and the bogus registries?

Nicki
6th July 2007, 02:33 PM
oh that is just unbelievable - there would be an absolute outcry if that happened here in teh UK too.

gocamping
13th July 2007, 11:11 PM
Bruce, does this mean that you can get a pup without AKC papers and still get it registered as AKC? If that is the case, this is going to burn for awhile.