• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Might be getting a 3yr old girl !!!!!!!!

*Pauline*

As most of you know, I'm house sitting for Jenny, my breeder, this week. Jenny called tonight from France. I told her when I go home, I'm stealing Mimi! I said I've fallen in love with her and don't want to leave her here. She said I can take her!!!!!!!!!!!!

She won't actually be mine and she will have to have 3 litters. I've just thought, if she has 3 litters, there will be 3 seasons in between when I'll have to keep her separate from Dylan. :eek:

What do you think?

Sounds like it could be great company for Dylan and you will get a break from her now and again. Sounds ideal!

I'm quite sure I'll hate the breaks! It's not definite, my kids are 20 and 21 and still live at home so I feel I must ask them too.

Please don't cross fingers for me, I don't believe in luck but I'm not sure I'll need it!!!!

:dogwlk: :dogwlk:

That's a tough call, but if you really have fallen in love with her think about what a wonderful life you could give her in your home and in your lap.....maybe she is meant for you.

Do think carefully, Pauline. Someone on another forum took on a bitch who would be bred from by the owner, but when it came to time, she didn't want to look after the litter (too much responsibility) or let her girl go back for about 12 weeks. I don't know what the outcome was, but she was very upset.

There is also the problem of Dylan. Assuming three litters, that's more than three seasons to battle through, because a good breeder won't breed a bitch at every season. There could be two or more between each bout of maternity.Even if he is neutered, it doesn't mean that he won't be interested.

oh boy hard decisions..I know when I got Cedar that as much as I loved him I wasn't going to do it at first for various reasons but those reasons one by one disappeared and things just fell in to place..so if it is meant to be it will happen...good luck

I'm with Barbara on this one. Think very carefully about it and spend a LOT of time talking to the breeder about their expectations. Kris and I considered this at one time but there were so many if's, and's and but's, we decided to abandon the idea. Some of the considerations:

1. When she is in season and going to be bred, we need to keep her at our house.
2. Do we return her after she has been bred? Would the people know enough about pregnancy to recognise a developing problem?
3. When she is close (1 to 2 weeks) to her due date, we would need her at our house. This is assuming the family had little or no welping experience.
4. Who would be responsible for what vet bills?
5. When puppies were born, we would keep her and the puppies until pups were ready to leave 10 to 12 weeks. Again, what about vet bills for her?

I know there were a lot of other questions to be resolved, but they escape me now. If you spend some time playing "what if..." you'll see what I mean. As long as both you and the breeder have some long conversations and agreements and know what you're both getting into, it can work. Just be careful.

Bruce, what about a male dog? Would that be less complicated - what would those considerations be?

Hi Pauline!!

Have PM'd you with my thoughts on this, it is a matter for MUCH consideration on both sides. Taking a bitch on breeding terms is never easy, nor is it cheap either, you can end up doing some-one else's work for them!

I took one of my first bitches on terms, boy what a mistake, I paid money up front for her when I got her and I also paid the FULL sale price of one of her pups back to her previous owner, she was and still is one of the most expensive dogs I ever owned!! On a positive note, it was a daughter of hers who went on to found my entire line so it was actually worth the initial outlay but bitches on breeding terms are always such a difficult area to deal with! Personnally I would prefer to buy them outright if at all possible, can save a LOT of heartache further down the line!!

All the best!

My first girl was a co-own. The co-own just ended last fall when she had her last litter. Know ahead of time what to expect and get it in writing, so no one is surprised or upset later. I would put a lot of thought into co-owning a female.

I really appreciate all your advice and the time it takes to type out all that just to help me.

I am having to be very sensible and probably leave this little girl behind. The only way I should take her now is if I could own her and she would be spayed. I really should have a boy like Cathy said.

I sound a bit cold about it don't I, I can assure you, I'm holding back the tears. I'm just tired. Half the dogs got out of the kennels tonight and up to the house. I managed to round them up and put them back in but I also put my in season girl by mistake. All the dogs I have in the house (not including mums) were in the crate in the house except her. You try getting hold of a bitch when all the boys are on her. I broke all my nails. I stink of dog Pooh and my eczema has come up........

Sorry to grumble, how my moods change! :rolleyes:

Bruce, what about a male dog? Would that be less complicated - what would those considerations be?

Definately a lot less complicated. In fact we co-own a couple males that we have retained breeding rights to. With the males, we bring the males to our house for breeding for just a few days and that's it. We could bring the female to the male, which is how it's usually done when working with other breeders, but it's just easier to bring the boy here. Again, the big thing is the arrangements for vet bills, special testing (heart, eyes, etc, etc), what if he decides to start marking and they want to neuter, what if they want to move across the country, and so forth. Again, it's very do-able if both parties sit down and work it all out ahead of time.

Oh, and Sandy mentioned something that's really important. Get it in writing. There's an old saying: "If it's not in writing, it doesn't count". A lot less chance for misunderstanding if everything is written down.

Yes, even I co-own a couple of males with families that wanted to possibly show a dog. We have a contract stating what is expected from both sides. EVEN if you would trust someone with your life- getting expectations on paper is important.

Well everyone has said what I would have said. This is a huge responsibility, so you most definitely need to go into it with your eyes wide open & knowing exactly what your role will be in all of this.

Back