• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need all the help we can get.

Furry_Monster

Well you may or may not know that i was due to get a puppy with in the next two weeks, however there have been complications and we are no longer getting that puppy.
We are still looking for a puppy but this time we want to make sure we get things right.
I have looked on the "getting started post" but it doesn't really help because i am too nervous/angry/upset/paranoid with whats happened.
So i need all the help i can get with finding a new puppy.
Where should i look for a cavie puppy?
What should i look for in the advert, if there is one?
What should we ask on the phone?
What should we ask when we go to view the puppy?
What should we look for in the puppy/mother?

And if there is anything else that might help me, i would be greatful
Thanks in advance.

Hi Becca, start by looking through the cavalier library on this board.
http://board.cavaliertalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34

Here is the link to the UK Cavalier site.
http://www.cavaliers.co.uk/

Take your time and read everything you can about buying a cavalier puppy.

It is better to contact club recommended breeders directly to find out if/when they will have puppies available. In the US, it is always better not to respond to ads for cavalier puppies, as these ads are mostly run by backyard breeders and puppy farm breeders who don't care about the health or conformation of the puppies. I would assume this is also true in the UK.

Last edited:
Hi!

Phew a lot of questions there!!

Most importantly of all DO NOT BUY A PUPPY FROM AN INTERNET AD, NOR FROM AN AD IN THE FREEBIE NEWSPAPERS!! The people who advertise this way are usually nothing more than farmers who are breeding to line their own pockets and without a care in the world for the health of the parents or the puppies!

The very best place for you to start your search is on www.cavaliers.co.uk, at first glance this will appear to be a showing site but if you look around you will find their advice on buying a puppy section. This site is run by Eastern Counties CKCS Club, you will find a list on there of the holders of all the Puppy Registers for all the regional clubs, only club members may advertise their puppies on there and we have all signed a code of ethics to become members of these clubs. the breeders who advertise on these lists are like myself breeders who breed litters to further their lines and to improve them, we breed to get something nice to show hopefully and we all health test our dogs! You stand a good chance of getting a well bred baby form health tested parents this way.

Be prepared to wait for your baby, don't rush into this, I understand that you are upset at not getting your little tri girl and that you really want a puppy right now, but act in haste and repent at your leisure!!

When you first ring make sure that the breeder knows exactly what you expect from a puppy, I get so many people who want a show quality puppy at a pet puppy price, the difference between show and pet is very hard to define, but basically the commonest reason for a breeder to let an otherwise wonderful puppy go is because the teeth are wrong or because they don't really want to keep a boy, boys make fantastic pets, don't be blinkered to getting only a girl, there is no real difference and given my choice if I didn't need my girls for breeding I would probably only have boys!!
Some breeders have Dad at home as well as Mum, ask to see as many family members as you can, this will give you an idea of the overall adult size the puppy will achieve, it will also give you an idea of the kind of temperament that your puppy will end up with, if they are all nervous then walk away as this is not the right temperament for the breed.
Always ask to see heart certificates for the parents if possible, eye certificates as well if they have them, again if these cannot be produced then walk away, it is impossible to have a heart certificate for the puppy itself, some breeders have their vet write a letter stating that the puppy is fit and well though.
A good breeder will be able to talk you through the puppies pedigree and will happily chat away about their own dogs and the breed in general, they will not be looking at the clock and trying to get your money from you and rush you out of the door as fast as possible.

Speaking on a strictly personnal note, and I know that the other breeders on the board will echo me on this, the one thing I cannot stand is when the first question is "How Much is it?" :swear: This should be the last thing you ask really and will certainly earn you bonus points when you first enquire, but the main priority is the health of the puppy!
When you visit you should expect to see clean fat healthy puppies and a clean healthy Mum, Mum will not be looking her best though as they all lose their coats shortly after having babies and can look like scarecrows by the time the puppies are old enough to be viewed! Mum and babies should be outgoing and happy to meet you!

Your breeder should be able to talk freely about SM as well, most will tell you that they have not seen it in their line and have not had puppy buyers reporting back that their babies have developed the condition, any breeder worth their salt will know about the condition although only a few are routinely MRI'ing their dogs yet, this is a grey area with most breeders, but they should know of the condition at the very least.

Lastly I always give a detailed letter, a copy of which the new owner signs and I retain on file that basically states that anything such as an umbilical hernia has been drawn to your attention and advice given as to what to do about it if anything, also if the registration is endorsed that should be brought to your attention as well. A diet sheet, a supply of feed, enough to last about 5-7 days should be with the puppy as well. I give all sorts of things away with my puppies from the Royal Canin Puppy Pack, through a couple of toys, bottle of puppy shampoo, doggy toothbrush etc, etc. This year I am considering adding Puppia harnesses and leads to the pack. Why do I do all this? To make the transition between homes go as smoothly as possible, moving home is enough to upset a puppies delicate digestive system, a change in diet even more likely!!

Last of all a breeder should be there to back you up and suppport you as your puppy adjusts to life with you, they should be there for a chat or to give advice, I will always board my babies when their owners go away for example and should the worst come to the worst I am ALWAYS happy to take a dog/puppy back for whatever reason should it prove unsuitable for its's new home!!

Phew!! got to the end :lol: I hope this is of help to you? If you need any further help or advice then just ask, or PM me, I am always happy to help out if I can, but will only ever advise from personnal experience, I do not have all the answers as I am still learning after all these years too!!

Good Luck in your search!!

i agree with cathryn,take your time,hubby has bought another cav,he is totally smitten with alfs,so it has taken me about a yr to do my hoework and find a breeder,and yes the last thing we asked was how much money from the breeder,i have learnt alot being on this site,things i never knew.we bought alfs of a lady who in hine site i woudnt of and proberly put the phone down on.dont get me wrong she was lovely but did not care for the breed at all.we have been lucky so far and the vet still thinks we were.

I think Cathryn has pretty well said it all.

When we decided we wanted a Cavalier puppy we contacted the breed club & visited a number of breeders. This might sound strange, but we did not pick a puppy initially, we chose a breeder. The breeder we settled on did not even know when they would do their next mating, but we knew that even if we had to wait 2 years, this is where we wanted our puppy to come from.

The things that influenced us was first the health & temperament of the dogs; the health checks that were done (which were substantial for Aus standards); the fact that all the dogs are house dogs, not kennel dogs; that we could meet the potential dam & sire. Then we like the people themselves. We got to know them, became friends with them. Just by spending time with them we got to know that they are loving, caring ethical people. When we asked them to put us on their puppy list the cost of a puppy was not even discussed.

We were lucky that only a couple of months later we were advised of a mating, and so began the wonderful journey of progress reports & many visits to see the puppies & learn of their progress.

So, my bottom line tip is "know thy breeder". ;)

Well you may or may not know that i was due to get a puppy with in the next two weeks, however there have been complications and we are no longer getting that puppy.
We are still looking for a puppy but this time we want to make sure we get things right.
I have looked on the "getting started post" but it doesn't really help because i am too nervous/angry/upset/paranoid with whats happened.
So i need all the help i can get with finding a new puppy.
Where should i look for a cavie puppy?
What should i look for in the advert, if there is one?
What should we ask on the phone?
What should we ask when we go to view the puppy?
What should we look for in the puppy/mother?

And if there is anything else that might help me, i would be greatful
Thanks in advance.

I would have pm'd you but you are not set up to/allow private messages on your account??????

I can put you in touch with a reputable breeder based in Yorkshire about 45 minutes down the M62. Pm me if you would like to know more about this breeder. P.S Please don't go after one which is advertised in our local papers (we generally get the same adverts as you) especially some of the Kennels around our area that a basically back yard breeders but lure you in because they are much cheaper.)

Back