PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom Scare



KimNIndy
8th July 2007, 06:07 AM
thursday afternoon i got home from work and indy wouldn't eat his food and had no interest in the ice chips he normally loves. this was highly unusual so i decided to keep an eye on him. at about 8:30 that night he vomited and i found an intact wild mushroom :shock: . he must of eaten it when my parents were keeping him that morning while i worked. they didn't leave a note (left for vacation before i got back so we crossed paths) so i don't think they even realised it had happened as indy can be quite a little vacuum cleaner--hence the mushroom was fully intact!

i called the emergency vets and they said to bring him in to be safe. i bagged the mushroom and rushed him in. between the journey there and the time i spent waiting in the examination room indy vomited 7-8 times. i had never seen him so ill and was very upset--hubby and parents all out of town :(

indy's blood tests came back showing signs of pancreatitis and dehydration so he was kept overnight. i held it together until the nurse asked as a precaution, 'if indy's heart should stop do you want us to perform CPR.' then i couldn't stop the tears and had to take a second before i went to pay the deposit.

thank god indy had perked up at that point (probably because his stomach was empty) because i don't think i could have left and gone home to sit by myself with him as sick as he was earlier. they were so kind at the hospital and let me visit him before leaving and see where he would be staying---right in the middle of the action so he was in the same room as the vet and nurses all night. i couldn't have been happier with that! he was exhausted but much better when i picked him up the next morning and spent the day at his normal vets eating special food and getting more fluids and getting spoiled. he is back to his old self today---we both slept for hours yesterday afternoon!!!

of course now the garden is covered in mushrooms that have sprung up due to the frequent rain we have been getting. indy still runs straight for them :roll: and i have to go around and pull them all up before each walk. please be careful with your babies if mushrooms might be about because it happens at the speed of light.

thanks for letting me vent the long story!!!! i wished for a laptop and wifi at the vets as you are all always so supportive :)

k

danalynn
8th July 2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks for sharing your story! We occasionally get mushrooms in our backyard too and my little Teddy is a vacuum cleaner as well. I haven't seen him eat one yet, but now I'll be sure to clear them all out as soon as they pop up.

What a horrible evening to have had for both of you. I'm SO glad that Indy is feeling better!!!

Cathryn
8th July 2007, 11:24 AM
Gosh what a fright that must have been for you, especially as you had to deal with it on your own!!:flwr:
I am glad to hear that Indy has made a full recovery and that you are now "mushroom pulling" before he goes out now!! I think there is a list somewhere on the net of plants and flowers commonly found in gardens that are dangerous to dogs, if I find it I will post a link to it, you might all be surprised!!

Anyway, big kiss and a gentle :hug: for both you and Indy!! :hug:

Caraline
8th July 2007, 11:33 AM
Oh what a horrible experience and that must have really unravelled you when the nurse asked about the CPR. Gosh, maybe it was a good thing that poor little Indy vomited so violently as at least he would have gotten some of the mushroom out. We have deadly toad-stools (as we call them here) around our place too, but I always demolish them if I see them coming up.

Hugs to both you and Indy. :hug:

Cathy Moon
8th July 2007, 02:20 PM
How very frightening! I had a similar scare a few years ago with India at age 1. I saw her munching on something in the backyard, and managed to pull a bit out of her mouth. :yikes I called the vet, and while I was waiting for the receptionist to speak to the vet, India started vomiting. The vet was glad India brought it up so quickly! They had me keep an eye on her at home, one of their concerns was that she could become dehydrated from too much vomiting. Luckily she threw up 5-6 times then seemed her normal self again afterwards.

And it was a wet summer, so Colin and I had to check for and pick mushrooms before we let them out.

PamH
8th July 2007, 02:25 PM
We too have little wild mushrooms in our back yard. I watch Maddy very closely and try and find them before she does. She's such a goat.
The other yucky thing she does is eat wild animal poop that is sometimes in the garden.
Pam

merlinsmum
8th July 2007, 03:55 PM
Glad Indy is okay now. What ascare it must have been for you. Luckily we don't seem to suffer with mushrooms around here - but I'll certainly keep an eye out....

Shay
9th July 2007, 03:43 AM
Wow Kim....What a scare. It seems like every time there is an emergency or I get sick or Lily, my hubs it out of town. You must have been scared to death. I am so happy to hear Indy has recovered. I have to watch Lily all the time as she is forever trying to eat my plants. Thanks for sharing your story. It will keep me on my toes more than ever.

BTW..how do you like being back in Atlanta. Is it hot enough fr you? ;)

Cathy T
9th July 2007, 05:18 PM
Gosh, Kim, how scary!! I think it's a darn good thing he barfed it up so quickly and continued to throw up and get it all out of his system. What a terrible scare....so glad everything is okay now.