• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Good News!! We found a new food!

Donna27

I havent posted in awhile, and I dont know if I had mentioned how Fiona is a very finnicky eater. We thought for a bit that she was maybe just not into food, as some dogs are, but she loved eating anything but her kibble so we knew she at least likes eating, lol. She's been itching a lot lately, so we thought maybe she had a food or seasonal allergy...Our breeder started her on Nutro Natural Choice Small Bites Puppy, and we finally decided we needed to just switch up her kibble and see what happened.

Sooooo we went to PetSmart on Saturday, and decided to try a brand called Blue, that I'd never heard of. They use human grade meats, and no wheat or corn gluten, making it better for some allergies. and guess what?? she CHOWS IT DOWN!! She has never been into her kibble before, so we are thrilled. We got Lamb and Brown Rice and it is great! If anyone wants to check them out, here is their link...

http://www.bluebuff.com/

Yay!:D

Great news! Blue Buffalo is a great food and Dog Food Reviews gives it 4 stars. My neighbor feeds it to her Papillon Riley who is also very picky. I'm very happy PetSmart is carrying a couple decent foods now...it's about time!

Excellent Donna! WTG Fiona! We had a similar situation with Gracie and are making the switch to Fromm Chicken a la Veg...she LOVES it! I went into the store with the intention of buying Merrick's, but read the Fromm ingredients and was sold. Was SO happy to see her get so excited about it, too! It can be such a "journey" to find the best foods for our little ones! ;)

Maybe good for us too?

I was going to post about eating issues. Barkleigh has never been food motivated. As a pup (he turns 1 on Sunday!), he ate very little and preferred hand feeding. I posted here and was encouraged to do it as they are only little once.

Now, I do NOT feed by hand daily, but I do indulge when it is clear Barkleigh has not eaten much for a few days. He has never been fed at the table or given treats by hand other than for training or a special reward (not frequently) and these are always doggie treats.

We have fed him high-quality puppy kibbles (3-4 brands and changing them to keep him interested, even mixing). We supplement with cottage cheese a few times a week. He doesn't even like this any more.

He won't eat alone--has to have company but he will be inspired if a kitty comes to check out his bowl and will chow down to get the best of them. Otherwise, it is ho-hum.

I've been okay with this as long as elimination and energy and weight were fine. Now he looks skinnier, is getting lethargic, and fussier.

He hates wet food--which I tried once or twice, although he does like it when I cook up some chicken hearts or livers.

We live in Florida and it is very hot here. Not fun outside, but the house is cool. I also don't think he drinks enough...but hard to force it.

I'll try the Blue stuff. But should I do a vet check?

Last edited:
there are so many postings about eating habbits but i think you will find that not fussing over him AT ALL and the 15 minute rule is what you will hear of most and works!! so many of us made the mistake of switching our foods around and adding this and that that our babes just know to hold out for something else or you to fuss them etc. :)

I was going to post about eating issues. Barkleigh has never been food motivated. As a pup (he turns 1 on Sunday!), he ate very little and preferred hand feeding. I posted here and was encouraged to do it as they are only little once.

Now, I do NOT feed by hand daily, but I do indulge when it is clear Barkleigh has not eaten much for a few days. He has never been fed at the table or given treats by hand other than for training or a special reward (not frequently) and these are always doggie treats.

We have fed him high-quality puppy kibbles (3-4 brands and changing them to keep him interested, even mixing). We supplement with cottage cheese a few times a week. He doesn't even like this any more.

He won't eat alone--has to have company but he will be inspired if a kitty comes to check out his bowl and will chow down to get the best of them. Otherwise, it is ho-hum.

I've been okay with this as long as elimination and energy and weight were fine. Now he looks skinnier, is getting lethargic, and fussier.

He hates wet food--which I tried once or twice, although he does like it when I cook up some chicken hearts or livers.

We live in Florida and it is very hot here. Not fun outside, but the house is cool. I also don't think he drinks enough...but hard to force it.

I'll try the Blue stuff. But should I do a vet check?
I would take him in to the vet for a check up.

Have you tried the satin balls recipe for him? Others have tried it, and it does help with their appetites and to put on a little healthy weight.

Normally you would stop feeding puppy food at 5-6 months, or not feed puppy food at all to a cavalier. Does he like adult food better than puppy food?

Also, two of my cavs can't take the heat so they always come right back into the air conditioned house after pottying. All three tend to rest more on the hot days.

Normally you would stop feeding puppy food at 5-6 months, or not feed puppy food at all to a cavalier.

Why is this? I've been feeding Molly puppy food since I got her (at 4.5 months; she is now 7.5 months). Have I been doing something wrong!? And I just bought a new bag of it!

-laura

Mainly it is due to the protein levels being higher in puppy feed than adult feed. A young puppy will quickly burn it all off through growing and also running around and playing, once they reach adult size they don't need so much protein. Different brands give different ages, my choice feed Royal Canin suggests staying on their junior feed until 10 months, it is size specific feed and so far that has been great! Hope that helps you a little bit?

My personal choice - Life's Abundance

Just to weigh in on the pet food issue: I switched to Life's Abundance from http://www.BestFoodForYourPet.com several months ago. I had been buying an expensive pet food from my local health food market, but he seemed to always have a low-grade case of diarrhea.

I really feel strongly about giving my pets "human grade" ingredients with NO chemical preservatives, artificial anything, and Life's Abundance fits the bill. Plus I learned that the food they sell is shipped to customers within 6 weeks of being manufactured, so it's fresh as well as healthy.

I also the Cat version of Life's Abundance to my cat. It really made a difference in her coat.

Every pet is different, of course, but I'd feel good about these products and would recommend them to anyone who might be looking to change their Cav's pet food.

Back