• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shampoo Recommendations

katc10

Can anyone make a recommendation for shampoo? Indy's fur has become a lot more coarse than it used to be, and I'm hoping a different shampoo might help. Any advice?

Hi Kelly!!

Has Indy recently been spayed/ neutered or been on a long term course of anti-biotics? I only ask as these can all drastically affect the texture of a dogs coat?

No, she's been spayed for over a year and is only on flea & heartworm meds. I don't know if the fact that we got another dog a few months ago makes any difference, he is always biting her fur and leaving knots, and probably pulling it out, and I even noticed on the top of her butt she has like "highlights" of brown on her black fur, but I thought this might be normal? She's about 18 months, so I think that's when her fur starts growing out more?

Hi!

The brown "highlights" you mention are actually dead coat! Don't panic or beat yourself up about this it is very normal in Tri-Colours and Black and Tans! OK First of all I wuld rcommend a Mars Coat King as this will remove all the dead coat Indy has!! Then I would recommend an Evening Primrose Oil shampoo, this works well on a Tri coat and don't forget to condition really well too! Always put back into the coat what you take out!! I love the Plush Puppy range and would recommend their Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo followed up by their Silk Protein Conditioner, I use these on my own Tri-colours and have had very good results with them, just do a Google search on the name and you will find their website!!

*SIGH* Another trade secret up in smoke!! ;) ;) :lol: :lol:

Will also work well on a B/T coat except I only have parti-colours!!

The Coat King has blades, is it the same as this:
TP19127_230X230.JPG
?
I was going to purchse that for cutting thru Indy's mats instead of cutting them out like I have been doing :(

Hi Holly!

I swear by the Groomers range, have a look here, http://www.groomers-online.com/

Products I use a lot from this wonderful range include Banana and Mango Shampoo,Peach & Apricot Shampoo, Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo, Magic Rain Forest Shampoo (for very dirty dogs) & Avacado & Mint Conditioner. I must say that I have over the years found that what suits one dog does not necesarrily suit another!!

The Banana & Mango and the Peach and Apricot Shampoo's are considered mild enough fo rdaily use and smell as scrummy as they sound!! They are great value too at about £10 for 5 ltrs!! They last me ages!!

I always send my babies off to their forever hmes with a bottle of Groomers puppy shampoo too, start as you mean to go on I always say!!

The Coat King has blades, is it the same as this:
TP19127_230X230.JPG
?
I was going to purchse that for cutting thru Indy's mats instead of cutting them out like I have been doing :(

hi!

No, a Coat King looks like this!!
coatking-2489.jpg

You simply pull it through the natural lay of the coat and it will take out all the dead hair in there!! Great Grooming tool to have in your kit!!

Thanks!

Thanks, Cathryn--you always have the nicest replies and such great advice, too! :)

hi!

No, a Coat King looks like this!!
coatking-2489.jpg

You simply pull it through the natural lay of the coat and it will take out all the dead hair in there!! Great Grooming tool to have in your kit!!
I saw what it looks like, I guess I'm not sure what the difference is? Does it just pull out the dead hair, not cut anything? I was confused because of the blades...

Kelly - bring Indy over here and we'll use my coat king on her!! I've noticed that Jake's dark color was looking a bit listless and realized I've been using whitening shampoo on his black parts....because I was getting lazy. I bathed him today and used blackening on his black parts and can already see a difference. Yes, some of the brown or reddish is dead coat...the coat king will get rid of it. I always use tons of conditioner. I use either petsilk and Chris Christensen products on both of mine. I also like Paul Mitchell for pets conditioner. Smells really good.

Hi!

The brown "highlights" you mention are actually dead coat! ....

Depending on the angle and lighting, we can see brownish/reddish highlights on both our tris... and I pretty well take care of the dead hair. The black is also different on each of them. Elvis has more of the brownish/reddish highlight than Beau does.

I use White Lace Shampoo on my Blen. I really does make the white more brilliant, it smells wonderful, and makes a very nice lather.

Very funny story, at least to me. I bathe Toby in the bath tub and keep the White Lace on the side of the tub. My 15 year-old grandson was at my house, as usual, for the weekend. I know....you can see this coming.

Sat morning he goes in and takes a shower and comes out and says, "Grandma, I used that new shampoo you have, feel how soft my hair is."
I asked, "What new shampoo?" He says, "That White Lace stuff."

Now there is no way I am going to make my beloved grandson feel bad, or stupid, or...whatever negative thing he could have felt. So, I didn't say a thing.

Maybe a week or two later, having forgotten about my grandson's experience, I was packing to go to work, and asked him to go get the dog shampoo from the bathroom. He said, "What dog shampoo?" I said, it's in a tall bottle, it is blue. He goes and gets it and brings it out and says, "Grandma! This is the shampoo I've been using, and it made my hair really great, are you sure it's the dog shampoo?"

So, I said, yes, it's dog shampoo, but it costs 10 bucks a bottle, so no wonder it was so good for your hair. He didn't feel bad at all. In fact, to this day, several months later, he swears it is the best shampoo he has ever used.
But he did stop using it.

Sometimes when Black hair dies it will go brown on the end and be coarse and flyaway looking, this is what I was referring to, most of my Tri's do have some brown in their Black as well but when the very end of the coat is frizzy lloking and brown in colour it is dead coat!

Love the story about the White Lace shampoo too :lol: I have to admit that in my bathroom there are about 12 different lots of shampoo's and conditioners for the dogs that cost ££££'s each and the kids shampoo and ours cost about £1:50!! If I had £1 for every time I heard a fellow breeder/exhibitor/dog owner say that I'd be a Millionare by now!! :lol:

The Mars coat king will only remove the dead coat that needs to come out, healthy living coat will stay where it should be! The coat king has more like hooks than blades per se' I wouldn't use one to cut knots out personnally!! Once you use one of them and see what you get out of your dog and how good the rest of their coat is you'll not want to use anything else!!

Hi Holly!

I swear by the Groomers range, have a look here, http://www.groomers-online.com/

Products I use a lot from this wonderful range include Banana and Mango Shampoo,Peach & Apricot Shampoo, Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo, Magic Rain Forest Shampoo (for very dirty dogs) & Avocado & Mint Conditioner.

Hi Cathryn,

I can't find the avocado and mint conditioner on the site, just avocado and cucumber, is that what you meant or am I a bit lost on their site? I fancy all the smells of the tropical conditioner but wonder if it's too rich, it says:

"Combines the fragrance of coconut with extracts of watermelon & vanilla to condition and moisturise dry & damaged coats. Can be used on all breeds."

Have you tried it? I'm really glad you mentioned this site as I've been looking for something good and reasonably priced :D

Hi Cathryn,

I can't find the avocado and mint conditioner on the site, just avocado and cucumber, is that what you meant or am I a bit lost on their site? I fancy all the smells of the tropical conditioner but wonder if it's too rich, it says:

"Combines the fragrance of coconut with extracts of watermelon & vanilla to condition and moisturise dry & damaged coats. Can be used on all breeds."

Have you tried it? I'm really glad you mentioned this site as I've been looking for something good and reasonably priced :D

Hi Pauline!!

Yes they have recently changed the formula of the conditioner, I am half way down a 5 litre one of the old one right now!!
The tropical conditioner I use on Princess as she has a more woolly coat and it is great!! their brushes are really nice too, they have a jelly like handle which is really easy to grip and very decent sized slicker brushes too. This is a quallity range at affordable prices!
Other products I really like are their blue pearl whitening shampoo and also the rain drops frequent use shampoo!

This is a company that supply professional groomers, I am in their loyalty programme as I can NEVER have enough doggy shampoo! Some of the shampoo's can be used neat or diluted down depending on the effect you want, if you feel a conditioner is a little rich then try diluting it down 50/50 with some warm water!!

Oh did I mention the sexy blue plastic aprons? Really great when you are bathing "En Masse"!! I often just bath about 6 dogs at a time, we have a production line going in the end! OH handing me the dogs, me bathing them and Josie giving them a good rub before they finish themselves off on the beds if we forgot to close the bedroom doors!! :rotfl:

Back