• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Queens Mud!!

Cathryn

I spotted this in this weeks Dog's World, bought a smile to my face and absolutley no offence intended to our U.S members!!

A lady who had been exhibiting at Windsor where the under foot conditions were appallingly muddy to say the least, I have heard them described as being "liquid chocolate" :lol: Anyway, this lady had been at Windsor and was on her way home and realised she needed to get a few things in for tea so stopped at a local supermarket. Upon approaching the main door she realised her shoes were caked in mud and dutifully scraped them clean, then being a conscientious sort picked the mud up.
Upon doing this an American Gentleman said that she looked exhausted and she said that yes she was, she had been showing her dogs on "The Queens Field" at Windsor, the American looked at the mud in her hand and asked if it was from said field? The lady replied that yes it was, he promptly pulled a £20 note out of pocket and offered to buy the mud, the lady was taken aback and refused, the gent then pulled a £5 note from his pocket, pushed both notes into the ladies hand and took the mud!! He said please accept this as it is all the English money I have left and we fly home tonight!! Then he left, afterwards the lady said "Had I known I would have taken him to my car, my show trolley wheels were caked with the stuff!" :lol: :lol:

Straight up truth, check out page 3 of this weeks dog world if you don't believe me!! :lol:

Some Americans have a "thing" about British Royality. Might be guilt for thumping their "bloody a$$es" in the "altercation" with George III which began at Concord and Lexington and ended on the fields at Yorktown some 220+ years ago. ;) Either that or they are just plain stupid! :eek: (Let's NOT poll to see which one of these wins!!!)

*cracking up* Now that is just..... bizarre. I remember my History A'level teacher telling me that the film 'The Madness of King George' was originally billed as 'The Madness of George III' but they had to change the title because Americans wanted to know where parts one and two were...
*snicker*
Although, that now seems a little implausible to me as my mum was saying that when my parents were in the States recently, they went to some historic site or other and were amazed at the depth of detail that schoolchildren had- kids were able to identify certain figures from their portraits within larger history paintings! Now, I know most British people could identify Henry VIII or Elizabeth I, but from what Mum says, this was like being asked to identify Disraeli in a painting showing a late 19th c parliament at work.

Very funny Cathryn!

Lisa, I always counter American stories by noting that the Irish police put down that I was born in 'Carolina' on my identity card, though it is Canada, and as any American knows and very few Europeans realise, there are two Carolinas, North or South, but no such place as "Carolina". :lol: I used to say I was truly the woman without a country. :)

I have also more than once had people from the UK or Ireland sorting my plane tickets to the US ask why I want a plane ticket from LA to San Francisco when wouldn't it be easier to drive if it is only an hour or so away? LA and SF are nearly 400 miles and an 8 hour drive apart or a 1 hour plane flight -- about the distance of Dublin and London. :rolleyes:

I have had loads more such misunderstandings on things to do with American geography and history. While Europeans say Americans don't know where all the countries of Europe are, I bet most Europeans couldn't even correctly place more than half a dozen US states and that would be the obvious ones -- Texas, California, Florida, Alaska, Hawaii... after that, they are pretty hopeless! :lol:

It all depends on what is relevant to people I think and also how long ago the info was learned. When I was 13 I could fill in a map of all the European countries and all the US states but I couldn't do either anymore. I can however still recite by memory the first sentence of the Gettysburg Address. And most of the General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales. :lol:

I spotted this in this weeks Dog's World, bought a smile to my face and absolutley no offence intended to our U.S members!!

A lady who had been exhibiting at Windsor where the under foot conditions were appallingly muddy to say the least, I have heard them described as being "liquid chocolate" :lol: Anyway, this lady had been at Windsor and was on her way home and realised she needed to get a few things in for tea so stopped at a local supermarket. Upon approaching the main door she realised her shoes were caked in mud and dutifully scraped them clean, then being a conscientious sort picked the mud up.
Upon doing this an American Gentleman said that she looked exhausted and she said that yes she was, she had been showing her dogs on "The Queens Field" at Windsor, the American looked at the mud in her hand and asked if it was from said field? The lady replied that yes it was, he promptly pulled a £20 note out of pocket and offered to buy the mud, the lady was taken aback and refused, the gent then pulled a £5 note from his pocket, pushed both notes into the ladies hand and took the mud!! He said please accept this as it is all the English money I have left and we fly home tonight!! Then he left, afterwards the lady said "Had I known I would have taken him to my car, my show trolley wheels were caked with the stuff!" :lol: :lol:

Straight up truth, check out page 3 of this weeks dog world if you don't believe me!! :lol:

ROFL!!! ;)))

Back